Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can someone say that some music is Wrong?

+4
Admin Andrew
Pianokid220
pianohama
Thomandy
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can someone say that some music is Wrong? Empty Can someone say that some music is Wrong?

Post by Thomandy Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:12 am

I created a piece a half year ago called, A Fantasy Fulfilled. And today, I got a comment from a German how obviously like to take on a lot of power and he say that the way I accompany my melody is Wrong!!!

Yeah, its a very ease accompany, I totally use 5chords(9 if you count the modulation as new chords)
Ill give a link to the video:

So my question is. Can really anyone say to someone that what they composed are Wrong?

*MY ANSWER
No, no one can say that someones music is wrong!! Even pieces with bad harmony, bad melody ect cant be called Wrong.
But, what people Can say, is if they Like it or not. Cause that is in my personal view a whole other thing. I can understand if someone Dont like my music, it would be VERY strange if everyone in the whole world liked what I compose Razz hehe
But I dont think that anyone can call it Wrong!! Smile

The only way I think music can be wrong is: If you take composition in school and you are supposed to compose by certen rules given by the teacher, or you try to compose in a genre and you dont obey the strictest rules, then you can be wrong in calling it it ex a sonata, nocturne ect...

But still it wouldnt be wrong to call it music, or to all it a piece! Smile

Last edited by Thomandy on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Can someone say that some music is Wrong? Empty Re: Can someone say that some music is Wrong?

Post by pianohama Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:15 am

Thomandy wrote:I created a piece a half year ago called, A Fantasy Fulfilled. And today, I got a comment from a German how obviously like to take on a lot of power and he say that the way I accompany my melody is Wrong!!!

Yeah, its a very ease accompany, I totally use 5chords(9 if you count the modulation as new chords)
Ill give a link to the video:

So my question is. Can really anyone say to someone that what they composed are Wrong?

*MY ANSWER
No, no one can say that someones music is wrong!! Even pieces with bad harmony, bad melody ect cant be called Wrong.
But, what people Can say, is if they Like it or not. Cause that is in my personal view a whole other thing. I can understand if someone Dont like my music, it would be VERY strange if everyone in the whole world liked what I compose Razz hehe
But I dont think that anyone can call it Wrong!! Smile

I don't want to be rude but I think this guy has the right to his own opinion. What's right and wrong is subjective, so when he says that it's wrong, he is absolutely right from his point of view, but it doesn't have to reflect what others think. Beauty is in the eye of the observer, so is music
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Can someone say that some music is Wrong? Empty Re: Can someone say that some music is Wrong?

Post by Thomandy Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:19 am

pianohama wrote:I don't want to be rude but I think this guy has the right to his own opinion. What's right and wrong is subjective, so when he says that it's wrong, he is absolutely right from his point of view, but it doesn't have to reflect what others think. Beauty is in the eye of the observer, so is music
You didnt understand!!! Ill highlight two sentences:

Personal opinion:
"No, no one can say that someones music is wrong!! Even pieces with bad harmony, bad melody ect cant be called Wrong."
"But, what people Can say, is if they Like it or not."

Do you see what I mean? I DONT say that they cant have an opinion!!! Wink
You see the difference?
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianokid220 Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:23 am

it is rude to say to the writer
but he can say what he wants

there is no right or wrong in music
Pianokid220
Pianokid220
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 179
Job/hobbies : pEOPLE ARE MEAN
Length of time playing piano : WHY PLEASE DELETE ME ACCOUNT NOW
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-15

https://www.youtube.com/aclyde15greenc

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:24 am

Pianokid220 wrote:...

My thoughts exactly Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:27 am

Thomandy wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I actually share you opinion in this matter, but he might not see it the same way that you and I do.. he has also about 14 years more experience than me, so I'm just gonna let this one slide, lol!
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:32 am

pianohama wrote:
Thomandy wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I actually share you opinion in this matter, but he might not see it the same way that you and I do.. he has also about 14 years more experience than me, so I'm just gonna let this one slide, lol!

No, its obvious that he dont see it the same way. But he also say that Beethoven was WRONG when he used that accompany to Fur Elise!! He say in a mail to me that Easy Accompany like Beethovens Fur Elise is WRONG Razz haha
Cause basically I use the same accompany in my piece!

He makes it clear that he dont like Fur Elise and Beethovens accompany in this video, but Can he say that Beethovens way of accompny was WRONG??? Smile That is basically what Im asking.

I just saw this comment from him:
"And to you Wooo... i know wath is right and what wrong in the music!!! "
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:20 am

To be honest, the guy who's calling Beethoven wrong and you wrong....is, well, an idiot.

It's style differences not a "right" or "wrong" answer.

You can say "I didn't like that" since that is your own feelings on the piece.

but you can't say "that was wrong" UNLESS, say you're trying to compose a waltz, and you write it in 4/4 time. Then you're not adhering to the rules of a waltz, thus you have a waltz fail and you are wrong in a theoretical sense.

but plainly this guy needs a lesson on music if he's calling your composition wrong. I'm actually laughing here thinking about it, it's litturally completely hilarious! lol!

The only case he might have is that the piece you wrote is very simple while his are more complex, but complex does not = beautiful.

Last edited by Admin Andrew on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianokid220 Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:22 am

Yeah he can

some people don't like beethoven ( I like beethoven)
Pianokid220
Pianokid220
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianokid220 Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:23 am

DON'T LET IT GET TO YOU
Pianokid220
Pianokid220
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:32 am

After reading his comments and seeing his stuff, he seems a bit stuck up. He is skilled though, but man is he a jerk.

I do like the fact that he's not afraid to be truthful, and he is right that most "compositions" these days have a RH scale melody and a simple LH arpeggio accompaniment. After hearing it many many time's it can get pretty boring and it's nice to have different styles. I still think that the arpeggio accompaniment is beautiful, bit it's probably a little over used these days. I think it has a place in music but it shouldn't be everything. Also, it kind of pisses me off when people call something they've worked on and planned an "improvisation", since then you have no word left to describe someone who just sits down and plays something on the spot completely unplanned. A composition is when someone plays around and improvises one part and then another and after planning makes a piece of music, that is composition, of course you can also sit down with sheet music and compose. The main thing is that composition has planning of some sort involved. (I know i'm a little off topic here, but this has been on my chest for awhile) Wink

either way, just take it as a new perspective to consider when composing Smile Don't let the negative things get to you because your pieces are getting quite good! Keep going. ^_^

Last edited by Admin Andrew on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:36 am

Pianokid220 wrote:Yeah he can

You dont understand Wink He can say that he dont like Beethoven, that is true. But to say that Beethoven is Wrong. Thats in my opinion just stupid Smile I have no problems with people saying that they dont like my music Smile But I dont like when they take upon an authority where they feel the can separate music into wrong and right!
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:36 am

Thomandy wrote:

You dont understand Wink He can say that he dont like Beethoven, that is true. But to say that Beethoven is Wrong. Thats in my opinion just stupid Smile I have no problems with people saying that they dont like my music Smile But I dont like when they take upon an authority where they feel the can separate music into wrong and right!

I agree!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianokid220 Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:40 am

saying beethoven is wrong is differnt from saying I HATE HIM
BEETHOVEN IS NOT WRONG IN ANY MATTER
Pianokid220
Pianokid220
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianokid220 Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:42 am

Admin Andrew wrote:
Thomandy wrote:

I agree!

me Arrow too!!! clown
Pianokid220
Pianokid220
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:42 am

Admin Andrew wrote:After reading his comments and seeing his stuff, he seems a bit stuck up. He is skilled though, but man is he a jerk.

I do like the fact that he's not afraid to be truthful, and he is right that most "compositions" these days have a RH scale melody and a simple LH arpeggio accompaniment. After hearing it many many time's it can get pretty boring and it's nice to have different styles. I still think that the arpeggio accompaniment is beautiful, bit it's probably a little over used these days. I think it has a place in music but it shouldn't be everything. Also, it kind of pisses me off when people call something they've worked on and planned an "improvisation", since then you have no word left to describe someone who just sits down and plays something on the spot completely unplanned. A composition is when someone plays around and improvises one part and then another and after planning makes a piece of music, that is composition, of course you can also sit down with sheet music and compose. The main thing is that composition has planning of some sort involved. (I know i'm a little off topic here, but this has been on my chest for awhile) Wink

either way, just take it as a new perspective to consider when composing Smile Don't let the negative things get to you because your pieces are getting quite good! Keep going. ^_^

Yeah, I agree! I did that accompany in One piece Razz And I dont feel that is wrong. Its not the most exiting piece, but I feel I manged to get across the feeling where you can close your eyes and drift away without to much going on. Its all about what you want to deliver.

And I dont let this get to me Smile Im just generally frustrated over people that put themselves on a pedestal, saying: IM RIGHT, AND WHOEVER SAY AGAINST ME IS WRONG Mad hehehe

Im working on a comp now, where Im doing lots of different variated arpeggios in the accompany in 6/4 time, and I made lots of different harmony in my Silver Bullet Rag, after quite some reading and studying of structure ect, wich Im also doing now.
So Im not affected with what he say. I think its a good subject for discussion on a general basis, and I used my recent events as example Smile

And about Improvs, agree there as well. I have done 5 improvs. And I havnt created anything before I do them.
I have tried to improvise some times with a camera where I havent managed to do anything good, but ofcourse that
wont be posted Razz hehe...

Last edited by Thomandy on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:45 am

Thomandy wrote:
Admin Andrew wrote:After reading his comments and seeing his stuff, he seems a bit stuck up. He is skilled though, but man is he a jerk.

Yeah, I agree! I did that accompany in One piece Razz And I dont feel that is wrong. Its not the most exiting piece, but I feel I manged to get across the feeling where you can close your eyes and drift away without to much going on. Its all about what you want to deliver.

And I dont let this get to me Smile Im just generally frustrated over people that put themselves on a pedestal, saying: IM RIGHT, AND WHOEVER SAY AGAINST ME IS WRONG Mad hehehe

Im working on a comp now, where Im doing lots of different variated arpeggios in the accompany in 6/4 time, and I made lots of different harmony in my Silver Bullet Rag, after quite some reading and studying of structure ect, wich Im also doing now.
So Im not affected with what he say. I think its a good subject for discussion on a general basis, and I used my recent events as example Smile

Either way it's a very interesting topic ^_^ I'm looking forward to hearing your composition! ^_^
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:49 am

Admin Andrew wrote:
Either way it's a very interesting topic ^_^ I'm looking forward to hearing your composition! ^_^

Yeah, its already hot so this might get some response, parhaps Smile

And yeah. Hope to get it done soon. Im struggling a bit.
Im going for a gloomy piece, kind of sad-ish, but still maintaining beautiful. Sort of like a gloomy Forrest area ect.
And fitting it into Nocturne Rules Smile So this will officially be my first Nocturne, and based on Angelas suggestion, I wont name it Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 am

Admin Andrew wrote:To be honest, the guy who's calling Beethoven wrong and you wrong....is, well, an idiot.

It's style differences not a "right" or "wrong" answer.

You can say "I didn't like that" since that is your own feelings on the piece.

but you can't say "that was wrong" UNLESS, say you're trying to compose a waltz, and you write it in 4/4 time. Then you're not adhering to the rules of a waltz, thus you have a waltz fail and you are wrong in a theoretical sense.

but plainly this guy needs a lesson on music if he's calling your composition wrong. I'm actually laughing here thinking about it, it's litturally completely hilarious! lol!

The only case he might have is that the piece you wrote is very simple while his are more complex, but complex does not = beautiful.

Yeah Smile So true Smile Im glad you are this mature and reasonable in you way of thinking and talking Smile
Hehe, yeah. As I also said:
"The only way I think music can be wrong is: ... or you try to compose in a genre and you dont obey the strictest rules, then you can be wrong in calling it it ex a sonata, nocturne ect..."

So a Waltz in 4/4 would for sure be wrong Razz hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:46 am

You were not born as Mozart but composing or improvising after a short period of learning as you did deserve respect especially from someone who is that much of a "pro". Critical opinions can be written in a respectful manner as well. (But not everyone is carrying the act of kindness as we do here in the forum)

Good luck on your new and more improved composition, heads up!
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:34 am

maggiekedves wrote:You were not born as Mozart but composing or improvising...

How do you know that? Wink hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:48 pm

There is nothing right or wrong in music, it's just good and bad, and there is alot of taste involved. Grunge for example is music, aslong as there is a sound to it. Knocking on a door would might not be music, but it still is, my friends use different knocking, and some even make a tune out of it so I actually know who it is before I open the door.

What about the 70's/80's where you only needed 3 chords to actually make a hit? A song doesnt have to be advanced and complicated to sound good. What about today pop music?

"A waltz cant be 4/4, but you can name a 4/4 waltz"

I cant see nothing wrong with that composition either, it actually sounds good.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:02 pm

The heck?!! WHy would he say it's wrong, it's a bit different but Dang! I say the song is pretty dang well put together! I really like it. ^ _ ^
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 155
Job/hobbies : Manga, Drawing, Music, Japanese Language
Length of time playing piano : 3 or 4 years seriously
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Thomandy wrote:
maggiekedves wrote:You were not born as Mozart but composing or improvising...

How do you know that? Wink hehe

If you are, you woke up a little late Razz He was already discovered as a musical prodigy at age 3-4, he started to compose music from age 5, he wrote his first opera at age 11, but he only live till age 35 leaving the audience with over 600 pieces.

Game on, good luck Wink Wink
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:23 pm

Yea, Mozart was probably the most naturally gifted composer of all time. I can't think of anyone that can match him. Bach is a possibility but Bach had a lot of skill where Mozart was just so talented. It's very hard to compare the two since they accomplished things in different ways.
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next