Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm learning Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement

+5
Aigle
Pianokid220
Admin Andrew
Thomandy
kentaku_sama
9 posters

Go down

I'm learning Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement Empty I'm learning Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement

Post by kentaku_sama Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:17 am

Not meaning to brag but about 1 or 2 years ago I first downloaded NoteWOrthy composer free trial and found the song called moonlight on the samples. when I played it I was like: Oh my gosh! That is like pro level song but even though I'm not real expirienced yet I though I'd attempt to learn it at least the first 2 minutes, Gah! I don't see how someone can play a piano for 7 minutes without stopping! I'm memorizing since I wouldn't have hope at reading moonlight sonata first movement by sheets. So since yesterday I've constantly everyday am playing the first arpeggio up until those 2 first dramatic chords. I'll post it on youtube when I learn ut but it will probabaly take me half a year or more!! I'm not trying to impress people, I'm trying to challenge myself with hard stuff so I can continue to grow as a pianist/musician. I imagine once you learn it it will be really fun to play!
can any of you play some of this song at full speed? To tell you the truth I was quite shocked that the only hard thing about it is simply speed. It's just a bunch of arpeggios played fast. AWesome piece
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 155
Job/hobbies : Manga, Drawing, Music, Japanese Language
Length of time playing piano : 3 or 4 years seriously
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

I'm learning Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement Empty Re: I'm learning Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement

Post by Thomandy Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:23 am

Nice Smile Well, basically ALL pieces that are hard thats ever been written is hard because of the speed. Smile "Everyone" can play piece like La Campanella after memorizing it at 1bpm speed Razz hehe .. that goes for moonlight sonata ect as well

My hardest piece must be Maple Leaf Rag. Took me 35hours from start to recording Smile And thats a topgraded piece! And then I had played for 5months! Smile But yeah, Im planning on a grade 8+/9 piece soon. So then I can see where I have come the first year if that gets to hard or not Smile

Good Luck, and dont get tendinitis Wink Cause thats a huge danger with those fast arpeggios. Both Andrew and Angela have had that, and they dont speak very highly of it Laughing
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

I'm learning Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement Empty Re: I'm learning Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement

Post by kentaku_sama Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:38 pm

Okay I'm able to play the first 4 measures on about a 100 tempo so far.
I'm playing along with the computer play-back so I know it's right.
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:10 am

well good luck! it's a hard piece! The thing is, you'd be being nieve to think the only thing difficult is speed Wink there is a lot going on in those pieces as far as getting a good RH LH balence, keeping the tempo accurate and the piece rhythmic, projecting well, playing relaxed, making sure all articulation is followed correctly, plus clear pedaling. (the list goes on and on)

Anyone can play the notes quickly, but few can play them fast with beauty. Horowitz vs your average pianist is a good example.

Anytime you play a high level piece you need to put a ton of thought into it just to get an interpretation you can work with. It's one of the biggest reasons it takes a long time for people to get to top level songs, because they need to develop the "musical maturity" to play these things in a way that is musical and wonderful.

^_^ Anyone who thinks they can just play something high level and that makes them good is joking themselves (I'm not trying to be cynical or anything) you must always look at music as an art. Sure it's fast, but it still has to be beautiful.

Smile I hope I didn't come across like a snob or anything, it's just super importaint for people to understand there's more than the notes even if there are no dynamic markings written in the score.
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:47 am

Admin Andrew wrote:well good luck! it's a hard piece! The thing is, you'd be being nieve to think the only thing difficult is speed Wink there is a lot going on in those pieces as far as getting a good RH LH balence, keeping the tempo accurate and the piece rhythmic, projecting well, playing relaxed, making sure all articulation is followed correctly, plus clear pedaling. (the list goes on and on)

Anyone can play the notes quickly, but few can play them fast with beauty. Horowitz vs your average pianist is a good example.

Anytime you play a high level piece you need to put a ton of thought into it just to get an interpretation you can work with. It's one of the biggest reasons it takes a long time for people to get to top level songs, because they need to develop the "musical maturity" to play these things in a way that is musical and wonderful.

^_^ Anyone who thinks they can just play something high level and that makes them good is joking themselves (I'm not trying to be cynical or anything) you must always look at music as an art. Sure it's fast, but it still has to be beautiful.

Smile I hope I didn't come across like a snob or anything, it's just super importaint for people to understand there's more than the notes even if there are no dynamic markings written in the score.

Yeah, I support this of course Smile As I have said to you before Andrew, and Im also crediting you on my YoutubeChannel for it if you havnt seen that Wink.. But yeah, what I was saying is that before my first Youtube-Fur Elise upload my thoughts where Sort of like what you say in your comment. I learned pieces and only thought about hitting the notes one by one. That review you gave me Changed Everything!! And when I saw it for myself I was Like... WTF*, why havnt I seen this myself. I thought I played those hard parts perfect at the time lol! It really is "obvious", but to see it One have to have open eyes and mine where almost closed Smile So Im learning One of Liszt most beautiful pieces, or at least thinking of starting it soon, to Test if I can play Technically Really Demanding stuff, and manage to play it with all the emotions it deserves to be played with. Smile So wish me good luck Smile hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:56 am

Yes I will definately try to put emotion into it. Why, well for one thing I try to to put emotion into playing it slowly as well as fast. I'm not trying to brag or anything here but my Piano teacher thinks the piano is extremely natural to me and it's like I started when I was very young.
I'm not trying to let this get big into my head but I just think If I try I might can do it because once I can play it I can add emotion with it sort-a. I really can't explain it but it's like practice even feels natural to me it's really wierd... ALso on that first block chord that are 8th notes.
I would slow that down by emotion but I've seen too many people on youtube hit that chord extremely fast inother words for me, sometimes I think it's best to make the rythem uneven inorder to add emotion.
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:50 am

But how long have you played for real. Did you get a teacher right away, or when did you get one?? What are your greatest piece learned and played up til now??

It might be that you got Great abilities Smile
So if its natural, that Great!! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianokid220 Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Thomandy wrote:Nice :)Good Luck, and dont get tendinitis Wink Cause thats a huge danger with those fast arpeggios. Both Andrew and Angela have had that, and they dont speak very highly of it Laughing

i GOT tendinitis Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Mad Mad Sad Sad Sad Sad Mad Mad Twisted Evil affraid pale Arrow Evil or Very Mad

I hate it I can barly type

so I use speech software

I can't play piano I have to type every thing at school
Pianokid220
Pianokid220
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 179
Job/hobbies : pEOPLE ARE MEAN
Length of time playing piano : WHY PLEASE DELETE ME ACCOUNT NOW
Registration date : 2008-07-15

https://www.youtube.com/aclyde15greenc

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:45 pm

i GOT tendinitis

so I use speech software

How exactly do you prevent that or get that?
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:30 pm

kentaku_sama wrote:
i GOT tendinitis

so I use speech software

Andrew got a lesson on how to position yourself and how to relax your hands ect at the piano.

You can get it if you: Play with To curled fingers, to stiff fingers, if you dont manage to be really relaxed in your hands. Also if you repeat to much over and over in one session. If you Dont get enough relax in your hands, or if you cant manage to relax between the moments you have to tension up the hands to play something ect

So to avoid it: Practice relaxing, think about it All the time when you play something, you shouldnt really feel anything but jello in your hands except from those tiny muscle-contractions you have to do when you press the keys, or bigger contractions when you play tricky spots. But then you have to manage to relax again right away, to "rest" until the next big hit. Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:55 am

Thomandy wrote:
kentaku_sama wrote:
i GOT tendinitis

so I use speech software

Andrew got a lesson on how to position yourself and how to relax your hands ect at the piano.

You can get it if you: Play with To curled fingers, to stiff fingers, if you dont manage to be really relaxed in your hands. Also if you repeat to much over and over in one session. If you Dont get enough relax in your hands, or if you cant manage to relax between the moments you have to tension up the hands to play something ect

So to avoid it: Practice relaxing, think about it All the time when you play something, you shouldnt really feel anything but jello in your hands except from those tiny muscle-contractions you have to do when you press the keys, or bigger contractions when you play tricky spots. But then you have to manage to relax again right away, to "rest" until the next big hit. Smile

Yup! And also the biggest and more importaint thing is. Take lots of breaks, if you play hard for 5-10 minutes, take a 2 minute break. If you play for 20-30 minutes, take a 5-10 minute break. It's more ideal to go for lots of short plays and short breaks. if you want to keep playing you can alternate hands by playing hands seperate. ^_^ That way you can constantly keep playing while taking breaks. ^_^
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianokid220 Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:01 am

now you tell me
whaha

well I had it for about a 3-4 weeks and it don't feel any better
I only play for 5 mins a week Sad
Pianokid220
Pianokid220
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 179
Job/hobbies : pEOPLE ARE MEAN
Length of time playing piano : WHY PLEASE DELETE ME ACCOUNT NOW
Registration date : 2008-07-15

https://www.youtube.com/aclyde15greenc

Back to top Go down

Post by kentaku_sama Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 am

Does it go away or heal if you treat it properly and don't type or play piano much?
kentaku_sama
kentaku_sama
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:34 am

kentaku_sama wrote:Does it go away or heal if you treat it properly and don't type or play piano much?

Andrew know better than me. But as far as I know, it does go away after a while, BUT your tendons are now weaker. This means that you will get Tendinitis a lot easier from now on(if one have gotten it). And generally for injuries, you can get it chronic. Which mean that you will never be able to get rid of the pain ect - And then you would probably have to quit piano!! But to get chronic tendinitis, or other chronic injuries is rare. And to get it you would have to play with the injury over a long time(knowing about the pain, but dont caring about it) or that you have gotten it to many times!!

But we are all born different, so in a wort case scenario you could get Chronic Tendinitis right away!!
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aigle Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:00 am

I've read somewhere that it is fully healed after a month
Aigle
Aigle
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ludwig van Bilgewater Sat May 16, 2009 7:10 am

I love that piece. If you haven't seen the youtube video of Wilhelm Kempff playing it go look it up. Awesome player and he looks like the emperor on Star Wars.

Last edited by Ludwig van Bilgewater on Mon May 18, 2009 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Ludwig van Bilgewater
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by surehit123 Sat May 16, 2009 8:39 am

If you know piano prodigy Emily Bear you have to be surprised that she played a 40 minute piece in the White house when she was five. Very Happy
surehit123
surehit123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 239
Job/hobbies : Student
Length of time playing piano : 7 months
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-29

https://www.youtube.com/user/surehit123

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Sat May 16, 2009 12:32 pm

Ohnoes, hope she dont get tendinitis D: Shes adorable. I suppose her tendons are young, but she has got small hands still! I'm sure she knows whats shes doing Very Happy
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 200
Job/hobbies : ASDA Colleague | Piano, games and movies.
Length of time playing piano : 2 Weeks! ^_^
Guru Points : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by RobinL Mon May 18, 2009 6:40 pm

Admin Andrew wrote:well good luck! it's a hard piece! The thing is, you'd be being nieve to think the only thing difficult is speed Wink there is a lot going on in those pieces as far as getting a good RH LH balence, keeping the tempo accurate and the piece rhythmic, projecting well, playing relaxed, making sure all articulation is followed correctly, plus clear pedaling. (the list goes on and on)

Totally. I can play one of Mendehlsohn's songs without words mechanically after playing for only a couple months. But I imagine it will be years before I can play it convincingly

RobinL
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down