Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing piano in your head. Do you do it? Does it work?

+2
VictorCS
Lazy
6 posters

Go down

Playing piano in your head.  Do you do it?  Does it work? Empty Playing piano in your head. Do you do it? Does it work?

Post by Lazy Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:54 pm

In one of Andrew's videos he talked about how doing something in your head uses the same sort of.. brain signals?? as doing that same thing in real life. He used a example of an athlete that imagined running a race in their mind and that the same brainwaves were monitored when he actually ran the race.

I stopped using my keyboard about a month ago because I was scared when you said that unweighted keyboards could damage your fingers and mine is unweighted. It also doesn't have enough keys for songs I want to learn. I don't really have anything else to practice on.
Usually I tap on my desk or I picture myself playing songs that I know pretty well while listening to them. I try to imagine every key. I don't know if this will help me very much or if should even be doing this but it's kind of automatic now.
I'll just have to wait till I can buy a weighted, full size digital piano but, I guess it's better than not practicing or thinking about piano at all.

Do you play in your head? Does it help you? Could you ever learn how to play a song before touching the keys?

Last edited by Lazy on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:28 pm; edited 9 times in total
Lazy
Lazy

Male Number of posts : 1
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Playing piano in your head.  Do you do it?  Does it work? Empty Re: Playing piano in your head. Do you do it? Does it work?

Post by VictorCS Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:57 pm

I do believe you can also listen to the song you have practised, since the brainpatterns that light up when you play the song will light up if you listen to the song. The part of the brain who controls the fingermovement will actually start to "work".
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Playing piano in your head.  Do you do it?  Does it work? Empty Re: Playing piano in your head. Do you do it? Does it work?

Post by Amro Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:15 pm

hehehe ..
This always happens to me ..
I always Imagine myself playing any new song I hear ..
This is Natural I think ..
I Play on the DESK a lot lol!
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 340
Job/hobbies : Graphics, Internet & Piano
Length of time playing piano : 2 Years of Trying but seriously from 4 Mnths.
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:55 pm

Lazy wrote:In one of Andrew's videos he talked about how doing something in your head uses the same sort of.. brain signals?? as doing that same thing in real life. He used a example of an athlete that imagined running a race in their mind and that the same brainwaves were monitored when he actually ran the race.

I stopped using my keyboard about a month ago because I was scared when you said that unweighted keyboards could damage your fingers and mine is unweighted. It also doesn't have enough keys for songs I want to learn. I don't really have anything else to practice on.
Usually I tap on my desk or I picture myself playing songs that I know pretty well while listening to them. I try to imagine every key. I don't know if this will help me very much or if should even be doing this but it's kind of automatic now.
I'll just have to wait till I can buy a weighted, full size digital piano but, I guess it's better than not practicing or thinking about piano at all.

Do you play in your head? Does it help you? Could you ever learn how to play a song before touching the keys?

It's called mind playing. I do it alot too. You basically imagine a piano in your head and play it as a normal piano and you can hear *almost* how it would sound on a real piano if you have a good relative(or absolute) ear. Smile gl
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:27 pm

Yeah, its like its being said here Smile I dont do it very often, but have tried to learn a bar by looking at the sheets for it, Away from my piano.
Memorizing and "playing" it (in my head) - And then when I felt it was on place, I went to the piano, and I could play it right away Smile That was fun Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by chackyjazz Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:08 pm

I totally agree. When I was beginning to play piano i didn't have a piano where to practice so I developed practicing in my head.

I something was too tricky I used to draw a piano in a sheet of paper and check any fingering there.

chackyjazz
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 15
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down