Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Practice without a piano

4 posters

Go down

Practice without a piano Empty Practice without a piano

Post by Sable_smiles Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:20 am

For the next few weeks, perhaps even months I don't have a piano to practice on. It's driving me a little bit crazy so I'm looking for things I can learn without a piano keyboard in front of me.

I've taught myself the names of all the keys and can name them at random. I'm teaching myself enharmonics. I'm watching Andrew's videos and watching videos of greats like Lang Lang, Vladimir Horrowitz, Martha Argeritch,etc.

I'm looking for more practice ideas, and would really love to hear any suggestions people have. Smile
Sable_smiles
Sable_smiles
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Female Number of posts : 24
Job/hobbies : Student who likes drawing, music, animals, cars, computers, philosophy, and being girly
Length of time playing piano : Haven't started yet
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Practice without a piano Empty Re: Practice without a piano

Post by wamaral Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:03 am

Wow, I wouldn't know what to do without my piano! And it's only a digital Laughing

Well if you have the will, you can become a master on music theory. It won't help you with the piano technique, but it certainly helps your performance and you will get things faster when you're at the piano. Plus, you don't specifically need an instrument to learn theory. I think I have some material if you'd like.

Another thing that I think would help a lot is learn how to read sheet music. If you learn to read them, it would certainly help your sight-reading when you're at the piano. It will make your life a lot easier Smile

Well, there's such a lot of things! I'm sure other people here can think of a dozen more Smile

But try to get a piano soon, you won't be able to stay away from it once you get one Laughing
wamaral
wamaral
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 59
Length of time playing piano : Since March 2008
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://wamaral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sable_smiles Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:42 pm

Hehehe, I know! It sucks sooo bad. There are so many things I want to try, and I also just want to get started! It's hopefully going to be a Christmas gift from my parents, but it's not a sure thing yet.

I would love to see the material you mentioned. That's exactly what I'm after. I'd like to learn anything and everything that will help me understand and mentally process faster. That's about the only thing that I can do right now, lol. bounce
Sable_smiles
Sable_smiles
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Female Number of posts : 24
Job/hobbies : Student who likes drawing, music, animals, cars, computers, philosophy, and being girly
Length of time playing piano : Haven't started yet
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Maho Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:32 pm

What wamaral said is true... if you learn how to read sheet music, things will be easier for you. Because then, you will be able to try to learn everything by yourself just by practising!...
Ok, I'm not a sheet music player reader... My transverse flute teacher used to tell me that he knew I had such a good hearing perception and that I play always just by reading the sheet once an learning the rest by ear but... believe me, it helps a lot, and you will be able to but a sheet book in the future and you will be able to actually understand it and play it ^_^
Maho
Maho
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : Music, of all kinds, Japanese things, Asian things, travelling.
Length of time playing piano : I've just started
Registration date : 2008-12-10

http://www.gacktworlddears.com/spanishdears

Back to top Go down

Post by d.chimeraan Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:13 pm

T_T I'm going to have the same problem this Winter Break. I just started playing piano too (as in... three days ago? I forget) and it's going to be a pain sitting at home without access to a piano. And I haven't even considered how I'm going to play over summer and still keep my progress on the dl, haha

d.chimeraan
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 29
Job/hobbies : Ultimate, pool, gaming, and now piano
Length of time playing piano : Nonexistent
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content