Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Piano advice

5 posters

Go down

Piano advice Empty Piano advice

Post by dickie_29 Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Hello guys and girls,

I have JUST started out on my musical journey! and I need to know if its acceptable to start off learing with a 61 key keyboard rather than the 88 keys I know pianos have. I have my eye on a Yamaha keyboard at my local music store but wanted some advice before purchasing.

Thanks

Dickie_29
dickie_29
dickie_29
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 5
Job/hobbies : Civil Servant (working for UK Gov)
Length of time playing piano : HA HA like 1day. I'm watching Andrews Videos and thinking WOW !
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-03-16

Back to top Go down

Piano advice Empty Re: Piano advice

Post by VictorCS Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:06 pm

I'm using a "61 key" right now, but if you're gonna buy one, I suggest you just go for a 88 key, then you'll dont have to regret when you get to pieces where you need more than 61 keys.

How much $ can you spend?
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by dickie_29 Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:13 pm

I guess your right with the whole 88 key thing although at the moment I'm really looking to spend around £150.00(sterling) or $300.00(us) Having said that I seen a really nice Roland baby grand in Selfridges in London a few weeks ago £3500 but I just cannot buy somthing as expensive when just starting out although it did look splendid!
dickie_29
dickie_29
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Length of time playing piano : HA HA like 1day. I'm watching Andrews Videos and thinking WOW !

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:42 pm

dickie_29 wrote:I guess your right with the whole 88 key thing although at the moment I'm really looking to spend around £150.00(sterling) or $300.00(us) Having said that I seen a really nice Roland baby grand in Selfridges in London a few weeks ago £3500 but I just cannot buy somthing as expensive when just starting out although it did look splendid!

I myself bought a Yamaha DGX 620 Digitalpiano/Keyboard. The touch and feel is almost exactly the same as a grand piano. It costed around $900 dollar. So I think you should go for a digital piano for starters, they're quite cheap.
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dickie_29 Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:55 pm

I've just been watching Andrews lesson on keyboards and pianos and digital pianos. So its a digital piano I will go for. Although I don't have awesome goals I do want to learn as best I can over the internet. Thanks guys for your help

Dickie
dickie_29
dickie_29
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:00 am

dickie_29 wrote:Hello guys and girls,

I have JUST started out on my musical journey! and I need to know if its acceptable to start off learing with a 61 key keyboard rather than the 88 keys I know pianos have. I have my eye on a Yamaha keyboard at my local music store but wanted some advice before purchasing.

Thanks

Dickie_29

Hey Dickie,

First of all, welcome to the forums! If you're first starting off to play piano and debating about going out to purchasing a keyboard, it really doesn't matter about the number of keys. However, a 61 key would be perfect for now until you get better and finally purchase a keyboard with 88 keys, or even better - a grand. With that said, Roland keyboards are very good because of the feel on the keys and how close they are to a real piano, with really good speakers implemented into them - they're really loud!

Yamaha keyboards are also very good. The Yamaha YPT-310 would be a great keyboard to get you started, with 61 keys that are touch sensitive and a wide arrange of high-quality voices/samples. Honestly, a 61 key portable keyboard would be the best bet for you especially if you're looking at spending no more than $300 dollars. In the mean time go here for Yamaha keyboards, and here for Roland keyboards.

Make sure you have a look at your local music store and see what you're comfortable with purchasing.

Hope that helps!
Jordan
Jordan

Male Number of posts : 244
Job/hobbies : Music, piano
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing on and off since I was 8 years old
Registration date : 2008-02-23

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 am

oops posted in the wrong place lol

Luna

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down