Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why 2/8 and not 2/4???

+3
Fryderyk
wamaral
agro1986
7 posters

Go down

Why 2/8 and not 2/4??? Empty Why 2/8 and not 2/4???

Post by agro1986 Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:03 pm

[deleted]

Last edited by agro1986 on Sat May 27, 2023 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total

agro1986
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Other / Decline to state Number of posts : 7
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

Why 2/8 and not 2/4??? Empty Re: Why 2/8 and not 2/4???

Post by wamaral Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:41 am

Well, being the very analytic person that I am, I cannot give you a convincing answer, since I tend to stick with the Math most of the time. To me there's no difference other than the symbols used.

Ok, so let's quote Wikipedia, as it knows more than me:

There is a sense in which all simple triple time signatures, be they 3/8, 3/4, 3/2 or anything else, and all compound duple times, such as 6/8, 6/16 and so on, are equivalent – a piece in 3/4 can be easily rewritten in 3/8 simply by halving the length of the notes. Sometimes, the choice of beat unit is simply down to tradition: the minuet, for example, is generally written in 3/4, and though examples in 3/8 do exist, a minuet in 3/2 would be highly unconventional.

At other times, the choice of beat unit (the bottom number of a time signature) note can give subtle hints as to the character of the music: for example, time signatures with a longer beat unit (such as 3/2) can be used for pieces in a quick tempo to convey a sense of the time flying by. This may be counter-intuitive, but in the Baroque and Classical periods, typically meters with long note values (such as 3/2) were fast tempos, while slow movements were typically written with the eighth note as the beat.

Similarly, a piece in 2/4 can often sound as if it is in 4/4 (or vice versa) and a piece in 3/4 can sound as if it is in 6 or 12 compound time, particularly if the former is played quickly or the latter slowly. The distinction may be a matter of notation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature#Rewriting_meters

To illustrate, take this song (quite famous). It is written in 3/2. Listen to the sopranos (the voice that enters the third time, with "Quand je bois du vin claret..."). It is very fast, but on the sheet music it is written mostly with quarter notes. And the bass line uses only whole and half notes! (Tenor have 2 quarter notes in the whole sheet music, while Altos have 4 quarter notes)

Sheet music here (pdf): http://www.cipoo.net/downloads/scores/Tourdion.pdf

Compare that with, for example, Für Elise, which is written in 3/8, and considerably slower.
wamaral
wamaral
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 59
Length of time playing piano : Since March 2008
Registration date : 2008-03-06

http://wamaral.org

Back to top Go down

Post by wamaral Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:53 am

Oh well, video embed did not work... Here's the clickable link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XHPtsONBOs

Oh, and by the way, please do not think that this statement is true:
Similarly, a piece in 2/4 can often sound as if it is in 4/4 (or vice versa) and a piece in 3/4 can sound as if it is in 6 or 12 compound time, particularly if the former is played quickly or the latter slowly. The distinction may be a matter of notation.
Coming from a country where a lot of songs are written in 2/4 (Bossa Nova and Samba, for instance), there is definitely a difference between 2/4 and 4/4. My teacher says there are schools in the United States (a country with very strong 4/4 musical culture) that teach Bossa Nova as 4/4, and it's definitely NOT the same thing! If you heard both versions you could instantly know that something's wrong with one of them. (Ok, sorry for the lack of technical details on this matter, but just believe me it's true) Laughing
wamaral
wamaral
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by wamaral Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:59 am

And one more thing! (this is the last one, I promise) Laughing
Do not make the same mistake as I did:
There was this little piece (don't remember the name, but it's from Béla Bartók) that my Piano teacher brought me to play on class. It was in 2/2, and as I started playing it I thought: well, I'll just think 4/4 in my head as it's a lot easier to follow than 2/2.
When I finished, my teacher said: You were thinking in 4/4, weren't you?
I - like this Embarassed - said yes, then he said: Well, don't do it! Think 2/2, they're very different things!

Just to let you know anyway Laughing
wamaral
wamaral
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by agro1986 Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:50 am

[deleted]

Last edited by agro1986 on Sat May 27, 2023 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

agro1986
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by wamaral Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:31 am

agro1986 wrote:I have this program Anvil Studio which has a metronome.
Ah now I see where the confusion came from! It was all about the weirdness of software metronomes.

Think about this: you have your mechanical metronome in hands:
Why 2/8 and not 2/4??? Wittner_metronome_in_motion
And you have your sheet music in front of you, and it's written in 3/4.

Then you set the metronome to 100 bpm and start it. It will start ticking, and you can be sure that after 1 minute it will have ticked 100 times. And if you were playing the music, you should have played 100 quarter notes in that time.

So far so good, right? Now, what if you want to change your music to 3/8? You go ahead, rewrite your sheet music in 3/8, changing all note values accordingly. Now what? Well, you don't set the mechanical metronome to 3/8 as it doesn't have such a thing! It's just there for ticking the beat, not keeping track of time signatures for you, so what happens? You start the metronome, it will start ticking (100 times a minute), but as your sheet music is now in 3/8, that means you now have to play 100 eighth notes in that time. So that's exactly what you wanted, right?

Ok, so let's see what went wrong with your software metronome: What it's doing - and what most software metronomes do, and I find it quite bizarre - is that when you set it to 100 bpm (beats per minute) it's actually counting 100 quarter notes per minute! It just assumes that your time denominator is a quarter note. And when you change it's signature to 3/8? It still counts 100 quarter notes per minute! What the change to 3/8 really did was this: the metronome mantained it's setting of 100 bpm, it's STILL counting 100 quarter notes a minute, but it's now ticking on EVERY EIGHTH note! So you actually hear 200 ticks on each minute - yeah, your metronome is fooling you Wink

Now, don't ask me why they do it, even my handheld digital metronome does it, very annoying!

Anyway, hope that helps to clear things now Laughing
wamaral
wamaral
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Fryderyk Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:35 pm

And that is why i dont like Software metronomes
Fryderyk
Fryderyk
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Piano Student
Length of time playing piano : Half year approximatly
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:51 pm

I like em, never cause any problem if you know how to use em Cool
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by agro1986 Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:16 am

[deleted]

Last edited by agro1986 on Sat May 27, 2023 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

agro1986
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:56 am

agro1986 wrote:wamaral, thanks a bunch for the explanation! Now I can be pretty sure about my basic understanding of time signature Smile. You're right in that it's the software that's causing my confusion.

The image of the metronome is superb! I've never seen once before Smile

lol Razz does your avatar stand for like the derivative of infinity or something =P?
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:43 pm

wamaral wrote:And one more thing! (this is the last one, I promise) Laughing
Do not make the same mistake as I did:
There was this little piece (don't remember the name, but it's from Béla Bartók) that my Piano teacher brought me to play on class.

Was it "Bagatelle"?
You are right. It does depend on what kind of culture you are exposed to. For example because Béla Bartók was the biggest folk music advocate he used 2/2 and 2/4 many many times.

For me it helps to listen to the actual piece before playing so I can have a feel of 2/4 or any other time signatures.The more conscientously I listen to different songs in different time signatures the better I can distinguish them.
The example was great Wink Thanks for the links.
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by agro1986 Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:23 am

[deleted]

Last edited by agro1986 on Sat May 27, 2023 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

agro1986
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by wamaral Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:26 pm

agro1986 wrote:The image of the metronome is superb! I've never seen once before Smile
Really? Well, you should! They're gorgeous!
I'm thinking about purchasing one like that, just for it's beauty (I got plenty of digital metronomes - on the computer, the digital piano, and two handhelds). It would look great on my desk!
Of course it would look a lot better on top of an upright piano, but that one will take me a little longer to buy Laughing

VictorCS wrote:I like em, never cause any problem if you know how to use em
Yeah, I personally set my metronomes to 0/4 time signature and leave them that way, so it behaves like a regular metronome. Then I'll just set the tempo accordingly Wink
I leave them at 0/4 instead of 3/4 or 4/4 or whatever the music is, 'cause I don't really like the higher pitch on the first beat Laughing

maggiekedves wrote:Was it "Bagatelle"?
Oh no, it was not that (I looked that up on youtube, it's a little beyond my habilities) Laughing
I'll have to ask my teacher (if I can remember), as I don't really have any clue on the name of the piece. I have really bad memory for names Laughing
wamaral
wamaral
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by pianoplayer314 Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:15 am

the difference between 2/4 and 2/8 time is 2/8 time is generally used for music with shorter and quicker notes, for example it would be very confusing to have a maesure of 16 32nd notes, while a two measures of 8 32nd notes seems more organized the music would be played the same, but one would be more confusing.

Hope this helped

pianoplayer314
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum