Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I still pathetically do not understand time signatures...

+3
CripKilla
Casyopea
Shouji
7 posters

Go down

time - I still pathetically do not understand time signatures... Empty I still pathetically do not understand time signatures...

Post by Shouji Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:13 am

Seriously, no matter how many times it is explained to me, I still just don't understand anything about it. I mean i'm now pretty proficient in Nocturne in E-Flat Major, but I don't really understand how to follow the 12/8 at all, I just play it how it sounds right.
Shouji
Shouji
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Number of posts : 53
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

time - I still pathetically do not understand time signatures... Empty Re: I still pathetically do not understand time signatures...

Post by Casyopea Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:24 pm

I'm afraid I can't help because I'm kind of a total newbie ... Smile

But my question is, are you feeling better? Give us an update please!

Best,

Elena.
Casyopea
Casyopea
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-04-06

http://es.youtube.com/user/casyopea1977

Back to top Go down

time - I still pathetically do not understand time signatures... Empty Re: I still pathetically do not understand time signatures...

Post by CripKilla Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:02 pm

For example, 4/4 time signature: it means each bar have 4 quarters notes!
Very Happy 3/4, 3 quarters notes, etc
CripKilla
CripKilla
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 423
Job/hobbies : Bank Robber
Length of time playing piano : Since Huamn Existence
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Yeah, basicly what Crips is saying. I can try to tak an example:
Couse you got to take tempo into consideration.

4/4 - tempo 60 bpm(beats pr minute)

This basicly means that every second, since there is 60sec pr minute you got to play a quarter note. And wi are talking about value. Couse if you see a Whole note that is the same as 4 quarter notes, and then that should be held for 4 seconds.

At 60bpm every 4sec a bar stats, when we are talinkg 4/4
At 120bpm every 2sec a bar starts, couse then we got to have room for 120 quarternotes in value pr minute. Thats why we got to play dubble speed than 60bpm.

So to understand fully you should test the metronome. Its a great tool.
Set it to 60 and you will see that the Clicks are every second.

And then transfere it to 3/4 means that at 60bmp you gona play 3quarternotes instead of 4, but it will take the same time to play those 3 as 4(in 4/4) couse of the bmp is the same and the /4 is the same. 3quarternotes will at 60bpm take you 4seconds to play.

I might have made this more difficult then it was, when I read again its a bit messy Razz hehe, but you might get the idea Razz:P

Btw: This goes for 12/8 aswell. At 60bpm you should manage to fit 12 quarternotes, still talking about value, into 8 beats, or since this is a easy example, 8 sec. At 120bpm it would be 8beats still, but in 4 sec. Couse we got twice as many beats.
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by CripKilla Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:29 am

Wow! Very Happy good explanation! Wink
By the way Thomas there is something I don't know about time signature and maybe you can answer me: What is the time signature C and C with the bar? It's like 4/4 but...
Thanks! geek
CripKilla
CripKilla
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 423
Job/hobbies : Bank Robber
Length of time playing piano : Since Huamn Existence
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:57 am

CripKilla wrote:Wow! Very Happy good explanation! Wink
By the way Thomas there is something I don't know about time signature and maybe you can answer me: What is the time signature C and C with the bar? It's like 4/4 but...
Thanks! geek

Yeah, its exactly the same so It not really anything else to know about that Smile
Historicaly it meant somthing else, it meant somthing "like" 2/4
but today it is used only on 4/4
time - I still pathetically do not understand time signatures... Music-commontime

----------
This is 2/2
time - I still pathetically do not understand time signatures... Music-cuttime
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by boogiewoogie Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:00 pm

Can anyone explain the difference between say 3/4 and 3/8? Would you play them differently? Is 3/8 faster than 3/4? Why does the composer choose one over the other? Or 4/4, 4/8 - is there a 4/8?

boogiewoogie

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:30 pm

boogiewoogie wrote:Can anyone explain the difference between say 3/4 and 3/8? Would you play them differently? Is 3/8 faster than 3/4? Why does the composer choose one over the other? Or 4/4, 4/8 - is there a 4/8?

Read what I wrote above and you might understand timesignatures. If not you need to learn more basic stuff first I think! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestoso Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:19 am

Hi, just to compliment what's already been said (great answers!), often the difference between two time signatures is "feel". for example, 3/4 is three distinct quarter beats (we brits call them crotchets!), with a stress on the first beat - very often used for waltz style. 3/8 is ONE beat per bar/measure, which divides into 3 equal eighth notes - 3/4 is therefore "simple triple" time, and 3/8 is "compound triple" (compound means the beat is divided into an uneven number, in this case 3). In Chopin's Eb Nocturne which is in 12/8, you want to feel 4 beats per bar, with the left hand playing 3 even chords on each beat. This could be written in 4/4 with triplets on each beat, would give roughly the same effect. I know it's confusing.... Rolling Eyes

maestoso
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:41 am

So,
Why Did he write it in 4/4 ?!!

confused
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 340
Job/hobbies : Graphics, Internet & Piano
Length of time playing piano : 2 Years of Trying but seriously from 4 Mnths.
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestoso Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:23 am

The point is the feeling of the music is different between 4/4 and 12/8. In 4/4 there is a STRESS on beat 1 and another small stress on beat 3... in 12/8 there is a stress on each beat equally. By stress I mean the note/ chord is played slightly heavier/ stronger. e.g.
12/8: 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3
4/4: 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3

Hope this makes sense, though it is difficult to describe in writing. These are the small things that make music complicated to understand but make a big difference in the final result of the music.

maestoso
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:00 pm

maestoso wrote:The point is the feeling of the music is different between 4/4 and 12/8. In 4/4 there is a STRESS on beat 1 and another small stress on beat 3... in 12/8 there is a stress on each beat equally. By stress I mean the note/ chord is played slightly heavier/ stronger. e.g.
12/8: 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3
4/4: 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2,3

Hope this makes sense, though it is difficult to describe in writing. These are the small things that make music complicated to understand but make a big difference in the final result of the music.

Yeah !!
That makes sense ..

I Got it Very Happy
But its more difficult than the 4/4 .. Mad

Thanks,
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 340
Job/hobbies : Graphics, Internet & Piano
Length of time playing piano : 2 Years of Trying but seriously from 4 Mnths.
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by maestoso Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:11 pm

definitely agree!! Cool

maestoso
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down