Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you think of this song I wrote?

2 posters

Go down

Song - What do you think of this song I wrote? Empty What do you think of this song I wrote?

Post by Azure77 Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Ok, so here's a recording of mine which I made about a year ago. But before I post the link, let me tell you a bit about it.

It's a slow piece called "Onyx eyes" which is actually based around a keyboard program. So I guess I wrote it with my keyboard. lol Anyway, I've let a number of people I know listen to it and a few people really liked it, yet I've also gotten a few negative reactions to this one. Some people went "Hm" which isn't a very positive reaction, you know? haha

Now, granted, I've made a few mistakes. First off, my guitar wasn't tuned 100% right. I'm actually out of tune in one or two places! lol On top of that the mix isn't really wonderful, either. I mean the guitar is too low in the mix and it could have used some EQ as it sounds a tad grating now; I recorded this while I was still learning to record and mix properly.

Nevertheless, I really like this recording despite its flaws. I mean I've held on to it ever since I recorded it. I love the phrasing of the solo and the mood it evokes... It captures a certain dark frame of mind. And the music really builds up to certain moments which are really wonderful in my mind. E.g. how it sort of builds up to that moment at 01:58 and at 02:48... That's really cool.

In MY mind at least. Some people who heard it didn't think much of it. So although what really matters at the end of the day is what I think of it...I thought I'd post it here as I'd be interested in hearing what other people think of it too. I mean do you think it's properly written? Do you think I'm mad for thinking it's any good? lol Let me know if you choose to listen, ok? Wink Here's the link:

Onyx eyes - 03:15
Azure77
Azure77
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 14
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-11-28

Back to top Go down

Song - What do you think of this song I wrote? Empty Re: What do you think of this song I wrote?

Post by Azure77 Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Just wanted to add that if your opinion of this thing is really, really negative feel free to post it anyway, as I'm not made of glass. haha As I said I'm aware of the fact that it's far from a proper recording, sound wise, for instance.

Anyway,
Azure77
Azure77
Azure77
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Song - What do you think of this song I wrote? Empty Re: What do you think of this song I wrote?

Post by VictorCS Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:56 pm

Spacey feel of the synths I really like, it's like i'm playing Timesplitters, except there is a guitar there aswell. The guitar sound fits really good into this. Actually, it sounds very much like some of the music in Sim City 4, just less jazzy. The kind of music I'm trying to make myself, but I tend to go towards orcestral stuff. My goal is to head for piano/synth/guitar ^_^

Atm i'm in the process of reading about drumming, and how to apply that to music, because me and drums dont go well together for some reason.

If people dont like Onyx Eyes, they dont like much. It's chill, but still got the edge from the guitar. As you've said, the guitar should've been brought forward, because it's kinda hidden behind the synths.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Azure77 Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Hey thank you very much for saying that. For sharing your thoughts. That's really appreciated. Smile Whenever I'm writing stuff I always think "Yeah, I might be very excited about all of this but is it actually so that it's poor? ". haha That's always somewhere in the back of my mind. I'm also considering to put my stuff up on YouTube so I figured I'd ask around and sort of gauge the response from people before going up there and possibly making a fool of myself, you know? hahaha Wink And this being a civil community I figured this might be a good place to ask. And it's always interesting to hear what people think anyway, you know? And I like sharing music too! Smile

I've been writing for a number of years now so obviously I've written a lot of drum parts by now. What I do is I listen to what I hear in my head and just copy that. Basically. Sometimes it's hard to see (or hear? lol) what it's supposed to be and I'll let the question wander in my mind for days, weeks, months before it clicks and I'm on my way and sometimes I'll improvise stuff and bump into things that end up as keepers... But don't ask me to write down what I'm doing so a drummer can play from paper if you will as I can't do that. lol The theory is not something I've really learned. I just know what sounds good to me and what doesn't and I know what the piece needs and just record that. It's a lot of fun recording the fills and solos; I'll record seperate snare hits and bass drums etc. and then place them in the right order in the DAW. And then when I click play it goes THUMP BOOM THUMP BOOM BOOM TISSHHH!!!!!! hahaha It's always awesome!

I'd love to hear some of your music too in the case you're planning on sharing it in the future. Smile

Azure77
Azure77
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down