Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano

+2
Pianoted
Liam19
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

yamaha - Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano - Page 2 Empty Re: Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano

Post by Pitch Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:18 pm

I'm still reading and I tried to record, but the recording sucked. I love the sound of the voices, but, I don't use them that often. I'm only using piano. I really can't honestly give a good advise. You need to hear them for yourself from the instrument itself, not through a sucky recording Smile

Pitch
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 40
Job/hobbies : Piano, Didgeridoo, Djembé, Poolbilliards
Length of time playing piano : Keyboard: 18 years. Piano: just started
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

yamaha - Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano - Page 2 Empty Re: Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano

Post by Liam19 Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:44 am

Thats fine, it's good to know at least that you seem very happy with the voices. And you like the the sound of the piano itself too? I wonder how it compares to the SuperNatural sound mentioned in that other digital piano I linked.

Never tried Roland before (or hardly any digital piano tbh), but I'm really considering this new one. Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 49
Length of time playing piano : October 2007
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Pitch Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Don't know about supernatural sound. I didn't really care either. I'm not a performer and the samples of Ronald are known to be fantastic. Besides that I can change the sound in various ways. You can change the volume of three sound ranges (low, middle and high) Reverb setting, Key-off resonance, Vibrating strings while holding down a chord and playing another (don't know the term). Amount of sustain with pedal....

See page 44 to 54 in the manual: http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/om.cfm?PRODUCT=F-110&iRcId=16636231&dsp=1

Besides that, I prefered the feel of the piano over the sound. I myself probably can't hear the difference between supernatural or not. I can imagine that with supernatural you can put in more feeling. But for me this is MORE than enough.

Pitch
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:29 am

Just reading through the manual of the F110, whats this 3d sound thing? seems interesting, don't know if the fp7f will have that or not. Also seems to contain quite a few features when it comes to editing, overall seems a good piano. Smile Though I don't even know the importance or even what it's like with all these features, though I wouldn't mind having them if it made it all better. Smile

I see that it has PHA II keys, is that like Yamaha's Graded Hammer Action? The FP7F has PHA III, but I think it might be more expensive, and there's no reviews on it since it hasn't been released yet, but I believe Roland have similar pianos anyway.

Sound and feel is pretty important to me, would like a really nice piano sound, which is why I was interested in their SuperNatural sound. I actually read a comment online saying that you need to make sure you like the sound of a Roland piano, compared to a Yamaha or something, since you may prefer one over the other, the only digital piano I actually got to try was a Yamaha that was released years ago lol, and I liked it, but it sounded better than my Casio keyboard, so I probabaly don't know what a good sounding digital piano is haha, I'm sure sound has come quite a bit from then.

Oh and about the voices, seems to have the same ones that will come on the f7fp. I'm no expert on them or anything, but I was thinking that since the fp7f was more of stage piano, it would be easy to take from one room to the other and hook it up to my PC, which is meant to be the best way for voices, but built in voices are nice for convenience, and its cool there's like 300 of them, I actually wonder how they compare to some of Yamahas, I've like some of their ones even on a 61 key keyboard.
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pitch Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:17 am

One thing to say that will answer everything....GO TO A STORE!!! Smile and make a list of what things you think are importanr. Order by importance by value of 1 to 5. Grade the piano on those things. Multiply those grades and you have personal value of every piano that is an option to you. Wink

Pitch
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Pianoted, Pitch, I finally decided on the digital piano I wanted, and funny enough after looking at the different models and learning about key actions and stuff, I went back to the DGX-640, lol. I went to a music store before Christmas and tried it with headphones on, and sounded good to my ears, and loved the other sounds that came built in. I knew I would enjoy this the most and decided just to get that.

When I first went to the store, the pianos weren't on at first and I was seeing if I could tell the difference between key actions, I tried the YDP-141 first and thought ' geez that's light, must be graded hammer standard, must avoid', I was right, but then I pressed the keys on a YDP-161 and thought the exact same, wasn't until later I checked up and saw the 161 had Graded Hammer Action keys, It might be due to no experience, and thinking that the CLP 820 was heavier or louder that I found them light, but I couldn't honestly tell the difference. So I just went for the DGX-640 since I couldn't tell.

Also I had a quick press at an acoustic, felt the same as the digitals, but I really didn't have much time and have no experience at all.

Overall I'm happy with my DGX-640, and thank you both Pianoted and Pitch for your replys in trying to help me, it helped me have a read on models to look for. Though if I could recommend one thing everybody has heard on forums already and what Pitch said, you need to try these things before buying, or at the very least a similar model.

Thanks guys. Very Happy
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by ichris87 Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm actually looking for a Digital piano too!
I do not have any basics or whatever in Piano
So far I am in the theory part #4
because i do not own a piano so i cannot practice

I deciding whether to get P95
Maybe you could take a look at that too.
ichris87
ichris87
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 31
Job/hobbies : Student
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:18 am

Hey there, if you're looking for a bit of research I highly recommend looking at http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/6/1/Digital%20Pianos%20-%20Synths%20&%20.html

use the search box and look up the P95, I'm sure there's plenty of threads full of info.

Though with any digital, you will probably hear good and bad points, and probably the best thing you can do if possible is go to a store and try it, or at least a similar model, it will really help with your decision. Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Rickard Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:21 am

I recommend that you check out the Fundamentals of Piano Practice (the part about picking a specific type of piano and purchasing it):
http://www.pianofundamentals.com/book/en/1.III.17.1 (just click on next page when you've read that and so on).

Rickard
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Number of posts : 146
Guru Points : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ichris87 Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks.
I will be getting YDP141 Smile
ichris87
ichris87
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:42 pm

By any chance would you be interested in other voices? That was my reason for going with a DGX 640, and I like it. Smile To me, different voices are fun and I use them, but if not interested I think the YDP 141 is a good piano. It has the Graded Hammer Standard keys, most people seem to say go for the Graded Hammer (Action) keys, but when I personally tried I couldn't tell the difference. Also some people do prefer Graded Hammer Standard from what I read, and my digital has the GHS keys too. Smile

Take your time, read up a bit and test. Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by ichris87 Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:26 am

Yeah I actually took some time thinking about that
as DGX640 provides more sounds and functions compare to YDP141

But after i think think think and think
Various voices don't seem to be able to grab my attention.

However, I will keep update here once i made my purchase on any model of it.

Cheers =)
ichris87
ichris87
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2