Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano

+2
Pianoted
Liam19
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano Empty Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano

Post by Liam19 Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:43 am

Hello! Its a meee, Mario! Or maybe not lol. First would like to say thanks Andrew for all the lessons, 21 so far. Smile

I've been messing around with a 61 key keyboard with no weighted keys for nearly 3 years, just playing by ear, and after playing on a Yamaha CLP-820 I really liked the sound of it compared to the keyboard and that depending how you pressed the key it would be louder or quieter. So I looked around and came across the Yamaha DGX 640, which has weigted keys. One site said it was closer than a keyboard than a digital piano, probably because it has loads of sounds, and was talking about Yamahas other Graded Hammer keys being better and heavier, even though Yamaha is calling it a Portable Grand. Basically I'm looking for a nice piano sound, 88 weighted keys, but one of my favourite things of a keyboard was the load of voices, and the DGX 640 has loads of them, a thing I really like so far.

Link to DGX-640: http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/dgx_640w/?mode=overview

It would be great if I could get a few opinons from you guys, by the way I'm just a beginner, and I'm not sure if I'll buy a digital piano just yet but I'm looking up information anyway. Thanks. What a Face

Few videos of the DGX-640:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW2BbwiKZh8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxv5hHCPp1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaD0OAjlfuc
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 49
Length of time playing piano : October 2007
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-08-27

Back to top Go down

Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano Empty Re: Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano

Post by Pianoted Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:54 am

Hello Liam19 and welcome to the forum.

The DGX-640 is probably a good DP. It's not much different from it's predecessor DGX-630. The guy who posted the performance videos you linked to says there are more voices, songs and styles, better keys and some technical improvements. But the same polyphony (number of notes the piano can sound without dropping notes.)

The DGX-630 costs $200 dollars less and if you are in Europe the difference is probably bigger. You might want to consider that if you are on a tight budget, because the DGX-630 is a fine digital piano.

If you like the extra features, a lot of different voices, styles to play to so you can be like a one man band, the 630 and 640 are probably two of the best choices. The Casio Privia PX-330 and PX-830 have more weight in the keys and cost about the same as the DGX-640. PX-330 has 250 voices, the PX-830 has 16, but the learning software is better in the Yamahas in my opinion, besides Yamaha has a better reputation regarding quality.

Hope that helps, good luck.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Number of posts : 154
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Hey, thanks for the welcome Smile

Yeah, heard there wasn't much difference between the DGX-630 and 640, but I think the 640 is meant to have a better piano sound and quality of keys is better, I'm not 100% sure of this but I don't mind paying the extra for the 640 if I was gonna buy one.

I'll check those other digital pianos out too, I currently have a Casio LK-100, the piano sound isn't that great compared to a digital piano. I'll look at them as see what they're like Smile Thanks.
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:25 pm

One more thing you might want to consider: portability. DGX-630 and -640 weigh about 56 pounds/25 kg with stand, 40lbs/18kg without it, while the PX-330 weighs 25.5lbs/12kg, 34 pounds with stand. But of course this is not a problem if you won't be moving often in the near future.

Then there are other pianos in the price range you are talking about, around $1000, the same amount in euros if you are in Europe. Because of a much higher sales tax/value added tax and shipping costs pianos are more expensive here.

I have read that Roland, Korg and Kawai offer many good digital pianos around the 1.000 euros/dollars mark, though I'm not familiar with them myself. But my feeling is that the most popular brands also offer better services if something goes wrong. I could be wrong!
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:51 pm

Nah, portability isn't a problem to be honest, where ever it sits it will stay there. But room in the other hand is one thing lol.

Well, I'm in the UK so yeah probably things are a bit more expensive, I know I can get the DGX-640 for £612.

Haven't really looked into Korg or Kawai, heard the names but not really familar with them either, though I guess worth a check. Thanks. Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:37 pm

Well that's about the same price as Amazon offers, $900.

Would be fun if you posted a performance video if you get the DGX-640. But good luck whichever DP you'll end up with. You are right moving on to weighted keys, that's necessary for advancing in your playing.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:04 pm

Still looking at digital pianos, though the DGX-640 seems a good choice, though I heard that even though they're weighted keys, they weren't heavy enough, the DGX-640 has the Graded Hammer Standard, later models have Graded Hammer Action. Do you think this will matter too much?

On the other hand I was thinking that it might be a good way to see how good I become, the keys might be more than I ever need, or if I become pretty good down the road I could upgrade then, since I would feel it would be worth the money.

I might not buy right now, for a bit of motiivation I might go through all of Andrew's lessons first, learn as much as I can, then buy. Then I'll most likely have to go watch through them again lol. Have watched 24 so far. Smile

Performance video? Well, it might take a while before I can post anything decent lol. Currently playing by ear, but I'm starting to slowly learn sheet music, trying to recognise the intervals to read it quicker. But not a bad idea, if I do, it will be posted in this forum. Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi Liam19, you are right about the different kinds of key weights. I have never tried a DP with the GH action, but have read it's of better quality.

I'm wondering if the Yamaha P155 is a good piano. It has the GH key action, but it's costs at least 50% more than the 640. It does not have the extra features of the latter mentioned.

You should check out the digital forum of pianoworld.com. Those guys are a wealth of knowledge about all kinds of DPs.

Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards (click)

You may have to browse through older threads or do an advanced google search on the webpage.

Edit (second one!): It's a good idea to go through the vides before you buy your piano. Patience is a virtue!
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:01 pm

Hey, yeah, it's actually hard to believe the amount of differences between each digital piano, whethers it's keys, sounds, speakers, everything haha.

Actually, ever watch Kylelandry on youtube?

Says on his profile, he uses a P155 and P120, but I think he actually prefers the 120, not sure if he has used the 155 in his videos or not. Though some of his stuff is pretty awesome. It would actually be awesome if that piano was mixed with plenty of cool sounds from the DGX640 or something, it would be perfect.

I'll have a look through pianoworld, actually came across them a few times in google while looking for info, they seemed pretty good. Gonna keeping searching though.

By the way, thanks for the replys. Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:35 pm

You're welcome Liam19. I'll take a look at Kyleandry's videos.

Thought I should give you my experience, but I've just recently invested in my piano. First I got Yamaha EZ200 with the lighted keys (61.) Quickly outgrew it and bought a P85. It has the GHS, would like to have more weight in the keys, but believe it's sufficient for developing proper finger pressure and tecnique.

I have come to the conclusion that I should keep both pianos and use the EZ200 when I wanted to take a jam as I believe it is called. First I was going to sell it but changed my mind.

I actually started a thread at pianoworld (Pianotehead is my name there) about having two digital pianos, one for the styles rhytms and stuff and one for regular piano practice.

Some people said that if you want to have the extra features and good piano feel in one piano you would always be making some compromises, so the two piano solution was not bad.

Think of it, a piano with a given key feel and also the extra features, costs as much as a similar piano without the extra features plus another unweighted keyboard with a lot of extra features.

Best regards.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:50 pm

Cool that you got yourself a digital piano. How do you find it? You say you would like more weight, is that because it feels pretty light or have you tried a heavier digital piano and liked it?

I'm currently using a Casio LK-100, that lights up too lol. It actally isn't mine, but since we got it I've always had fun using it, learned to play by ear by accident, so really I just enjoyed playing about, but when I played on a digital piano, I just thought the piano sound was really nice and really liked the way the sound was lower or louder depending on how you pressed, so thats what started my digital piano interest. Smile

Had a look at that thread you posted at pianoworld, yeah I see where you're coming from, having a digital piano that does really well at the piano part - the keys and sound, and another great for many voices. Though I don't really plan to buy two, room and all that, but I think I would keep my keyboard, but new, more realistic voices would definately be nice.

It would actually be awesome to have a piano sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-neZL4_O6sQ
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTmp4sukhKs

It actually gives me something to think about, would the DGX-640 sound as good as that? Think the keys are the Graded Hammer Action too on that digital piano but I'm not sure. Digital piano was the reason for getting a really nice piano sound and feel, but if it didn't have that and had loads of cool voices instead then it would kinda go against the reason of getting a digital piano in the first place lol.

I think I'm waffling on too much haha.
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:17 am

No I was rather comparing to the key weight and feel of regular pianos. If you want to combine nice piano sound and feel with cool extra voices, then maybe some of the Casios, like the PX-330, could be worth checking out.

Kyleandry is great.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:43 pm

Actually, the PX-330 seems a pretty good choice, the only problems I have so far about it though is that some people thought the quality of it was a bit cheap, think sometimes there can be clicky keys or they move side to side easily and touch others keys. Though I have to do more reading to see about this.

Another thing, I cant seem to find really any videos online showing all the different voices, just to give me an idea if the other voices sound really good or not. See I want a range of voices, but want them to sound good to want to use them.

The piano sound seems nice actually, and I know the keys are heavier, but I read that people thought the keys were a bit on the heavy side, like maybe it was heavier than it was supposed too? Though I'm unsure about this, just from reading.

From a site called UKpianos, the guy said that there needs to be at least 4 levels of sensitivity, but it says the px is 'touch response (3 types).' Whats your thoughts on this?

I'm just researching really, so I might not understand everything. Thanks. Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:20 am

It's very wise to research well before you buy. Yes Casio has bad reputation regarding the keys, click and develop gaps between them. About the sounds it would be best if you'd visit a piano store and try out the PX330 or whatever piano you want to check for that matter.

Just be sure to get good time and peace to try them out, some salesmen like to pressure customers into buying and don't give them enough time.

Don't know so much about the levels of sensitivity, assume that's the same as what is called levels of stereo sampling. Four levels in Casio PX330 and the other Privias I think, but only one in Yamaha P85 and DGX640/630.

More levels (or is it called layers?) of the piano samples means more possibilities of expressive playing, hitting the keys hard or soft and making notes sound high or low.

Would like to have more dynamic range in the P85 but think it'll be enough for me at least a year or two. Hopefully the recession will be over then and I'll have some cash. Very Happy

Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Yeah, more researching needs to be done is right, and testing too, thats if I can, we do got one music store nearby but it's not really that big so it probably doesn't have some digital pianos on display, or for sale at all. But seeing what there is smart, because they could have it there anyway. We actually have a place nearby called Piano Warehouse, which is open to the public, I've never seen in there before lol. I don't know if they only do grand pianos or if they do digital pianos too. Must go in someday haha.

Yeah, I was talking about the levels of expressive playing, I only played the one digital piano, and liked it, I'm not sure how many levels that had. It's a CLP-820, and think it was released in 98 or 2000, not sure, but it's been out for quite a few years, I'd be sure digital pianos have come along way from then, which is good. Smile

This is way expensive for me, and I'm just a beginner too, but I had a look at the CVP-509, has a great piano sound, heavy keys, and loads of awesome voices. I was like affraid I was nearly drooling, it was awesome. I probably done the wrong thing by looking at that model haha.

The Yamaha P85 seems pretty nice from Youtube videos Smile Even if you want more dynamic range, at least you still a digital piano so you can still improve. Smile

Just wondering, do you follow Andrew's lessons? And if only them how do you find your progress? Smile Just think that would be interesting thanks.
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:34 pm

I followed the first few lessons of the music theory. They helped me learn the basics of music notation. I haven't gone through them systematically, but I've benefitted from them a great deal, both the music theory section and the How to play piano-lessons.

I'm mostly focusing on scales and chord practising, plus trying to learn simple melodies with a few left hand chords, both in books and MIDI files I've downloaded. I believe I'm making some progress, but slowly!
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:51 am

Cool, keep it up Smile

I'm just watching the videos currently, but trying to learn to read sheet music qucikly, the intervals, which I'm pretty slow but kinda getting there lol.

You know, I'm thinking of considering a CVP-501, it is a good bit more expensive (around £1,600 or something), but it has Graded Hammer keys (wooden, but doesn't bother me), seems to have a good piano sound, and plenty of voices. If I buy one, it will be staying for a couple of years, and in those couple of years I might as well be happy. Though the only problem with that is I don't know where to put it. XD
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pitch Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi, First of all I didn't read every post in this thread, but I think I can be of help as I was in the same situation.

I ordered the DGX-640 purely because of the functions. I didn't even look any further. I had to wait for it and during that time I thought things through, it was kind of a impulse thing to buy a DP with a tight budget.

I played keyboard for 10 years and the last few months I only played piano pieces. I didn't want to give up all my repertoire I could play on my keyboard...at least I thought. Piano sound and feel was my main concern now. I went back to the store to investigate further and feel and experience more DP's in that price range. The salesman suggested tot try the Roland F110. Roland is known for their piano samples and quality. I sat down behind the beautiful, stylish piano (at least, in my opinion) and started to play my favorite piece.
From the first moment I touched the keys and felt the response and heard the sound I was sold. Besided that it has many different good quality voices in it which was also a big plus for me.
I could feel the music so much more somehow then on the DGX.

You can tweak the piano sound in many ways and the built in speakers are ok. I play daily on it and didn't regret my choice for one moment.

It's reasonably prized, not big, easy to assemble and has a great sound and feel. I have some videos on my youtube channel, but I recorded it with my Nokia E52 smartphone so you can't really judge the sound, but you can see how it looks.

You know what, I will take some pictures how it looks in my fairly small appartment living room after I post this.

The process of choosing a DP is very tough and very personal. I made a list in order of importance to make my choice, but the feel of the instrument was mindblowingly better than all the rest...for me...

If you want to know more, please let me know, I'm glad to assist.

I also have to mention that I had a 16 year old Technics KN501 before this so the I was amazed by the sound of the voices of all new DP's Smile
I just found the option to set the left pedal to the 'effect' setting. Many voices can be altered by pressing the pedal. Mostly when you use the sustain pedal...I love it Smile

Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8aesb-t14Q
My youtube channel with some of my video's: https://www.youtube.com/pidge1981

[edit]
Photos:
Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano 29092010

Yamaha DGX 640 Digital Piano 29092011
[/edit]

Last edited by Pitch on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added photos)

Pitch
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 40
Job/hobbies : Piano, Didgeridoo, Djembé, Poolbilliards
Length of time playing piano : Keyboard: 18 years. Piano: just started
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Hey Pitch Smile When I was looking around, researching about the DGX and other digital pianos, I came across the Roland F110 and check a bit about it, its a very nice digital piano, though I never checked up too much on it since. So I gave those videos a watch, its sounds really good, it seems like a digital piano I would go for, seeming to have a nice piano sound and many voices.

I don't think the DGX is for me anymore, think the problem is the keys not being heavy enough, and I wouldn't want to buy with any regrets. Would rather spend a bit more and get something I'm happy with.

I'm actually reading about the Yamaha CVP 501, its pretty expensive, but I woulldn't mind paying, it's being bought to stay for many years lol. It has good keys and nice piano sounds from what I can tell, and loads of voices, so it appeals to me. But the F110 seems like a good alternative, you think the rest of the voices are good too?

From the pictures you took, the F110 is very nice and slim, doesn't seem to take much room, the CVP 501 seems to have a bigger back lol.

Also you're playing is pretty good too, keep it up. Very Happy

Thanks for your reply Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pitch Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Hey, Thank you for the compliment.

I like the voices a lot, but I'm not using them that much. I must say that I was used to a 16 year old Technics KN501, so I missed all those years of technology.

I was amazed by some stuff like for the panflute. You hear the initial breathing. You can also change the left pedal to add preset effects to the sound. Haven't tried it that much but these are very subtle effects. The organ sound get a 'circular' effect...Can't find a better word for it....

Only the selection of the sounds is a minus. You only have a '-' and a '+' key...It adds up quick, but scrolling to 198 and deciding that you do want sound 61 isn't very quick.....

It's hard to explain, just try one if you have a store somewhere...

Pitch
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:45 pm

Ah, would be awesome to have a nice panflute sound Very Happy

Yeah, definately have to go to a store to see if they have it, to give it a test. I haven't actually found a place to put a digital piano in the house even though I have an idea, parents might find its a bit too expensive at my level of playing too, havent even said I'm thinking of buying one XD.
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pitch Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Every parent should support music wishes. It's so beautiful to be able to play an instrument!! If you are serious about it and totally convinced that you should do this because it will enrich your life, because it's a part of you, well, They can't say no to that in my opinion. Most shops also have an option to rent an instrument to see if it's right for you. I don't know the rules about returning it if it doesn't work out, but that might be an option to convince them.

I gave my little nephew a small keyboard like I got at that age. He is playing and I try to encourage him. Music makes you smarter, there is nothing negative about music. If you can rent and return I would not see any reason to so no....

Don't hesitate, be convinced and enjoy the joys music can bring. You only live one time, try as much as you can!

If you think voices are very important to you the Roland isn't the best I think. It's just an extra, but very high quality. If you want to play piano you shouldn't get any lower than this in my opinion. Perhaps a 2nd hand is an option too? I will see if I can make a demo of the sound with my new iPod. It's a good test to see the quality of the video too Smile

But I'm rambling now, I stop typing now and go sit behind the shiny keys again and engulf myself in the wonderful world of music!

One thing if you decide to buy. Make sure you can do it financially. Don't get a loan or buy if you don't have the money, that will bring you more problems then you know....unfortunately I was a stupid teen who thought was rich when he got a job....Then he started to live on his own and learned that he didn't earn that much as he thought....

Pitch
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Hey, my parents support music, I know that for sure, about 3 or 4 years ago I wanted an electric guitar, it was bought the next day lol, but sadly it's just sitting there not doing much, which is a shame, but I'm not getting rid of it because I would like to get back to it, though lucky me i can easily learn songs by ear Smile Bought it because of the awesome people that played on Youtube lol.

I have been playing on a keyboard for like 3 years, I play with it most days, and go on it for the fun, I really like playing on it, but I had a go on an old digital piano, the sound was much better and I think I might of liked the expression part of it. So I don't think that it will be short lived like the guitar.

Money isn't a big issue, I'm not loaded or anything lol but I've saved up any bits I get instead of spending, I'm only a student, but wouldn't mind paying that bit extra knowing that a digital piano is there for a good couple of years.

The only problem I think I have is where to put the thing XD, I'm sure room could be made somewhere though lol. Smile

I will see if I can test the Roland. But I did see the Yamaha CVP-501 online, its a bit more expensive, but it seems awesome. And the old digital piano I've tried was a Yamaha CLP 820, both a Clavinova.

I'm not rushing at the minute, but these posts and reading up give you much more knowledge on what to look for.

And you're right, music is wonderful Very Happy Playing an instrument, even if you don't know much, makes you think different about music you listen to I think.

Thanks Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by jytte Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:33 pm

Liam19 wrote:And you're right, music is wonderful Very Happy Playing an instrument, even if you don't know much, makes you think different about music you listen to I think.

You are absolutely right. I've noticed that since I started playing, I appreciate music even more (if possible) than before, and in a different way, listening at times for pieces that I could play and so on.

Anyway, if you've been playing for 3 years steady, it's not likely you are giving it up again. Good luck on the piano hunt, I'm sure you'll find a corner for it somewhere.

jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 268
Length of time playing piano : Since July 2009 (Yamaha PSR E313) SHEET COLLECTION ON MY WEBSITE
Guru Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-19

http://www.piano.christrup.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:53 pm

Hey, still searching and reading away, I've came across this digital piano called Roland FP-7F:

http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Roland-FP-7F-Digital-Piano-Black/DY2

Not out until November, but it seems to be a really good piano from what it seems to be, what you guys think of it?

And Pitch, if you're still reading this thread, think you could tell me abit more about the other voices? Like stings, violins, guitars and stuff, how nice or realistic they sound, and you're opinion in some of your favourites, thanks. Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content