Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op 30 No 1

2 posters

Go down

Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op 30 No 1 Empty Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op 30 No 1

Post by Statue Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi, I'm having some difficulties with this piece.

You can look at the score to know what bit I'm referring to here: Mendelssohn Op 30 No 1

Basically, all goes well until I hit the fifth measure (yes, not very far in at all lol). In that fifth measure, there are three things going on. The left hand is playing the rolling accompaniment in the bass clef. The thumb, first finger, and middle finger of right hand are playing the triads that form the upper part of the rolling accompaniment (seen in the lower part of the treble clef), but at the same time (and in a different timing?) the pinky and the adjacent finger are (expected to be) picking out the keys of the main melody (in the upper part of the treble clef). That is, that's how I'm attempting to do it, and struggling massively with separating my right hand into essentially two little hands. I've seen people play the piece but not with a clear enough view of how they're fingering it, and I can't find any scores of it with detailed fingering for that part. I'm therefore not at all sure if what I'm attempting is what I should be attempting. If it is to be played how I'm trying it, the problem is simply that I don't have the ability to separate my right hand into two to play two parts independently, or I'm not understanding how the timing of those two parts co-ordinate sufficiently.

It might be that I'm meant to be playing the lower (from the bass clef) and the upper (from the treble clef) accompaniment triads as two key chords with the left hand, and then only the melody on the right hand? Tried that too, and can pull it off but it sounds kinda clumsy (because the resultant 2 key chords are not equidistant and require more jumping than gently rolling).

Could anyone have a look at the score and suggest how they'd handle that fifth measure please (or if anyone plays this piece, even better - how u do pull it off?).

Thanks,
Statue

Statue
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 9
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-04

Back to top Go down

Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op 30 No 1 Empty Re: Mendelssohn Song Without Words Op 30 No 1

Post by Matthieu Stepec Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:39 am

Hello!

Sorry for the late answer, but I think I can help you.
What you tried to do at first (play both the triads and the melody in the right hand) is right. BUT the rhythm is simpler than one might think. Remember that when playing 2 against 3, the second quaver comes exactly between tuplet notes 2 and 3. So basically, before attempting to separate your hand into two independent patterns (which is difficult), try to learn the whole thing as ONE pattern. And please when doing it, practice SLOWLY! It is very necessary for mentally complicated sections. You might also want to use a small ritardando, for musical effect as well as to prevent panick Wink
Matthieu Stepec
Matthieu Stepec
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Male Number of posts : 204
Job/hobbies : Fencing, Table Tennis
Length of time playing piano : About 15 years
Guru Points : 25
Registration date : 2009-09-08

https://www.youtube.com/matthieustepec

Back to top Go down