Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Story

Go down

music  https - afpa hooxs com - Music Story Empty Music Story

Post by Stride Piano Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:55 am

Hey everybody, just wanted to tell my story because I am new to the forum. Well... where to start? I've always been interested in music but I found it difficult to find music that I enjoyed. I had listened to mainstream classical music and pop music, but I didn't really like much of it. About two years ago I discovered mainstream jazz from the 1920's and 30's. I liked that a little more, but I still wasn't satisfied. Eventually, through searching on itunes, I discovered jazz pioneer Jelly Roll Morton. His piano playing was so interesting to me, I had to learn more about him and other contemporaries. In doing so, I found ragtime. I immediatly felt the "intoxicating rhythm" (As Scott Joplin put it). From there, I expanded to those that changed ragtime into jazz. These composers included James P. Johnson and Fats Waller, Willie "The Lion" Smith, and Eubie Blake. In doing so, I also found Harlem Stride Piano. Going deeper, I discovered Novelty Piano made famous by Zez Confrey. I particularly enjoy stride and novelty rag pieces. I loved the music so much that I wanted to be able to play it, so I asked my parents for a digital piano for christmas. Of course, I got the piano Very Happy . Now knowing how difficult these pieces are to play, I thoroughly respect those that keep this music alive today.By the way Andrew, I found your lessons on youtube when I became interested in learning to play and your lessons solidified my desire to learn to play piano. Much Thanks! Very Happy

Note: If I made it sound like I hate classical music, I don't. I actually enjoy listening to the Romantic composers such as Grieg, Chopin, and Tchaikovsky. I especially like to listen to waltzes and dance music. This includes ragtime waltzes. My favorite piece is called "Eccentricity" by James P. Johnson. It is a syncopated waltz, modernistic let classical. Here is video on youtube that I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouanJDVnVFY&feature=related

There is also only one live played version recorded by someone on youtube if you search for it.
Stride Piano
Stride Piano
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 6
Length of time playing piano : Since Christmas 2009
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down