Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas mileage and cars

+3
g0tfish
Thomandy
Admin Andrew
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gas mileage and cars Empty Re: Gas mileage and cars

Post by Admin Andrew Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:25 am

g0tfish wrote:
Admin Andrew wrote:
Jordan wrote:
maggiekedves wrote:
Jordan wrote:
g0tfish wrote:
Jordan wrote:
g0tfish wrote:
Jordan wrote:

We actually met randomly on youtube. I really loved his idea of posting videos to help out beginner pianists, and I decided to contact him since I'm a pianist as well (except I'm not as good as him, yet) and from there our friendship just clicked. We began to converse over MSN and he told me that he was about to launch his own website that will have a forum dedicated to piano, including a community for people to converse, and I thought that it would be a great idea to help him out as much as I can.

Hopefully one day as soon as I get my license in about a month, I told him that I'll try driving down to BC and have a great time hangin' around with him. I live in Toronto, Canada. It's pretty far away from his province, but it'd be nice to have a ride down there since I haven't been there before.

wow thats quite interesting! if i can do that. i prob wud.. but driving there.. wunt that b sum burning in ur pocket for gas? =]
its great that ur helpin him out too Smile

Yeah, it's pretty far. But honestly, I'd love to go down there because Toronto's almost exactly like New York (we're around 5-6 hours away from NY), and I'd love to go somewhere new for a change. Canada can be a beautiful place.

Itd b nyce to go on a roadtrip and not worry about gas money or money for a change u know.. i've been to Toronto many times when i was younger with my family. we stayed near chinatown? huzah so i can enjoy the fruits and food! mm

Yeah, it'd be awesome to not worry about gas money while going on a road trip. You've been to china town before? Cool! It's pretty cool down there. I can agree with you about the food and fruitys, haha.

Wooow guys u want to break a new world record in chaining the answers Laughing I need to join that effort.

I am not that old friend of Andrew like Jordan is.
But I consider myself friends with you guys (hope it is not offending for anyone me thinking about all of you as friends)... drunken so anyway I thought someday it would be fun to meet with Andrew and some of those who maybe can do it... well not in the very near future...
Hopefully we will keep in touch and a little while have a forum meeting Smile or is it a frightening thought to reveal the real person? silent
In the good old times I had some IRC meetings
(it was before the time of the messengers Shocked )
It was always interesting to see our group and we all know how Andrew looks like ... maybe he would be a little curious about us...
Ok ok I stop rambling... it is already 1:30 am here Sleep

Actually, that'd be a great idea. Meeting new people has always been interesting to me.

Wow, this is a long chat we've got going here! I think i'll join in!

I actually think that'd be really fun! maybe we could set up a meeting for 2009 or something ^_^ by then there might be enough people who show up to make it a real party! I'd LOVE to meet you guys, i'm curious to see the people who watch me i guess you could say it's strange talking to people who know what i look like and how i act, when i know next to nothing about them. Although, I have to say, it's not as weird as it once was and I am getting pretty used to it. It would still be amazing to have a get together one day! maybe even make it an annual event! Should i dare dream?

wow.. lol
how unfortunate that i havent been active -_-''
sry about that
u know if u actually made such event i think that wud b quite interesting.. tho then ud also have to think about the price of actually getting to where u are.. it b fun to do a roadtrip but with gas price.. -_-'' id think about it again.. oh yea.. how was ur trip to see ur bro Andrew?
Maggie =] i think of u as a friend too! and i agree.. that it'll b fun to get to meet Andrew =]
Jordan.. Chinatown is awesome.. it gets boring there when u go to the same place every year u know.. but i havent been there for a long time and i miss it there =]

so is this event realli gonna b happening =]??

btw hello there Shi Yun, Sunny, and Thomas =]

Maybe! we'll see how things are in a year from now Smile I think it'd be fun providing the resources are there, and gas prices aren't to expensive!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:05 am

Gasmoney in Norway are pr - 29.04.2008

1 Liter(= 3,79 USgallons) - 2$ - Its so hight Sad

So to fill up a regulare sized thank on a car (5o Liter) Its - 100 $
And then you can drive about 50km(30 us miles) untill you have to refill
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by g0tfish Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:00 pm

Admin Andrew wrote:
g0tfish wrote:
Admin Andrew wrote:
Jordan wrote:
maggiekedves wrote:
Jordan wrote:
g0tfish wrote:
Jordan wrote:
g0tfish wrote:
Jordan wrote:

We actually met randomly on youtube. I really loved his idea of posting videos to help out beginner pianists, and I decided to contact him since I'm a pianist as well (except I'm not as good as him, yet) and from there our friendship just clicked. We began to converse over MSN and he told me that he was about to launch his own website that will have a forum dedicated to piano, including a community for people to converse, and I thought that it would be a great idea to help him out as much as I can.

Hopefully one day as soon as I get my license in about a month, I told him that I'll try driving down to BC and have a great time hangin' around with him. I live in Toronto, Canada. It's pretty far away from his province, but it'd be nice to have a ride down there since I haven't been there before.

wow thats quite interesting! if i can do that. i prob wud.. but driving there.. wunt that b sum burning in ur pocket for gas? =]
its great that ur helpin him out too Smile

Yeah, it's pretty far. But honestly, I'd love to go down there because Toronto's almost exactly like New York (we're around 5-6 hours away from NY), and I'd love to go somewhere new for a change. Canada can be a beautiful place.

Itd b nyce to go on a roadtrip and not worry about gas money or money for a change u know.. i've been to Toronto many times when i was younger with my family. we stayed near chinatown? huzah so i can enjoy the fruits and food! mm

Yeah, it'd be awesome to not worry about gas money while going on a road trip. You've been to china town before? Cool! It's pretty cool down there. I can agree with you about the food and fruitys, haha.

Wooow guys u want to break a new world record in chaining the answers Laughing I need to join that effort.

I am not that old friend of Andrew like Jordan is.
But I consider myself friends with you guys (hope it is not offending for anyone me thinking about all of you as friends)... drunken so anyway I thought someday it would be fun to meet with Andrew and some of those who maybe can do it... well not in the very near future...
Hopefully we will keep in touch and a little while have a forum meeting Smile or is it a frightening thought to reveal the real person? silent
In the good old times I had some IRC meetings
(it was before the time of the messengers Shocked )
It was always interesting to see our group and we all know how Andrew looks like ... maybe he would be a little curious about us...
Ok ok I stop rambling... it is already 1:30 am here Sleep

Actually, that'd be a great idea. Meeting new people has always been interesting to me.

Wow, this is a long chat we've got going here! I think i'll join in!

I actually think that'd be really fun! maybe we could set up a meeting for 2009 or something ^_^ by then there might be enough people who show up to make it a real party! I'd LOVE to meet you guys, i'm curious to see the people who watch me i guess you could say it's strange talking to people who know what i look like and how i act, when i know next to nothing about them. Although, I have to say, it's not as weird as it once was and I am getting pretty used to it. It would still be amazing to have a get together one day! maybe even make it an annual event! Should i dare dream?

wow.. lol
how unfortunate that i havent been active -_-''
sry about that
u know if u actually made such event i think that wud b quite interesting.. tho then ud also have to think about the price of actually getting to where u are.. it b fun to do a roadtrip but with gas price.. -_-'' id think about it again.. oh yea.. how was ur trip to see ur bro Andrew?
Maggie =] i think of u as a friend too! and i agree.. that it'll b fun to get to meet Andrew =]
Jordan.. Chinatown is awesome.. it gets boring there when u go to the same place every year u know.. but i havent been there for a long time and i miss it there =]

so is this event realli gonna b happening =]??

btw hello there Shi Yun, Sunny, and Thomas =]

Maybe! we'll see how things are in a year from now Smile I think it'd be fun providing the resources are there, and gas prices aren't to expensive!

AHHH gas prices arent too expensive?!?!
its like 4 bux a gallon.. depends on which too. my car runs on premium.. so that is a mad pain in the butt! plus my source of income aint that great... -_-'' and like how Thomas laid it out.. if we drove that far.. b4 i even get there id prob go broke tryin to fill up gas.. loll but anyway.. how much is gas over there for u?
it'll b great to have this event.. a little get together and meet each other Smile
g0tfish
g0tfish
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Female Number of posts : 30
Job/hobbies : Currently unemployed, Car/mechanic, piano, sleeping and eating
Length of time playing piano : owned a keyboard since little with no experience until now
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:14 pm

g0tfish wrote:

its like 4 bux a gallon.. depends on which too. my car runs on premium.. so that is a mad pain in the butt! plus my source of income aint that great... -_-'' and like how Thomas laid it out.. if we drove that far.. b4 i even get there id prob go broke tryin to fill up gas.. loll but anyway.. how much is gas over there for u?
it'll b great to have this event.. a little get together and meet each other Smile

Well, if its 4bucks a gallon there, its Dobbel over here Razz So dont complaine Wink hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:44 pm

thomandy wrote:
g0tfish wrote:

Well, if its 4bucks a gallon there, its Dobbel over here Razz So dont complaine Wink hehe

Well Thomas it is true that your price is double but dont forget America is the home of the automatic shift... which eats pretty much twice as much as the stick-shift so actually it is the same bad here and there... Rolling Eyes
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:35 pm

Jordan wrote:Hey everyone!

My name is Jordan and I live in Toronto, Canada. Me and Andrew live in the same country, but in different provinces.

Where do you live? Smile

Hi Jordan
Welcome! I'm Angela, Andrew's fiance sunny I'm in London Ontario!!! How are you liking piano???

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 103
Job/hobbies : piano teacher, playing piano, working out, reading
Length of time playing piano : 18 years
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:18 pm

maggiekedves wrote:
thomandy wrote:
g0tfish wrote:

Well Thomas it is true that your price is double but dont forget America is the home of the automatic shift... which eats pretty much twice as much as the stick-shift so actually it is the same bad here and there... Rolling Eyes

Hehe... Lots of cars in Norway to with automatic Wink hehe
And the difference is not that big Razz It also all depend on the car, it maby uses 1/8ish more Razz So i dont really bye that argument. And if you got a Automatic car that uses almost dubbel?!!! Than you should change car instantly Wink We can all decide wich car to buy, in any pricerange. But We cant decide the gasprice...
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:54 pm

thomandy wrote:

Razz So i dont really bye that argument. And if you got a Automatic car that uses almost dubbel?!!! Than you should change car instantly Wink We can all decide wich car to buy, in any pricerange. But We cant decide the gasprice...
I cant drive a stickshift... Embarassed pale Sad
As much as I know the affordable used automatic cars use at least twice as much as not automatic pairs.
I dont have too much choice, not too wide price range either. I would buy a great Toyota with awesome gas mileage if were not for the 4 times the price.
Too bad but Im not an oil sheik Razz
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Hehe Razz Then they got strange cars in the US Razz
Many of my friends and my parrents got automatic. And automatics here dont use much more gas at all... The automatic transmission dosnt really use much more gas. The thing that differs the most is the size of the engien! And if you drive bigesized engiencars fast, THen you use more gas :p But I have heard that amercian cars use more gas, but thats not couse of the transmisson, if its automatic or not :p Its couse of the engiensize Razz And "bad" tecniqe Razz
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:45 pm

thomandy wrote:Hehe Razz Then they got strange cars in the US Razz
Many of my friends and my parrents got automatic. And automatics here dont use much more gas at all... The automatic transmission dosnt really use much more gas. The thing that differs the most is the size of the engien! And if you drive bigesized engiencars fast, THen you use more gas :p But I have heard that amercian cars use more gas, but thats not couse of the transmisson, if its automatic or not :p Its couse of the engiensize Razz And "bad" tecniqe Razz

Im not a car mechanics that is what Ive been told why they eat more... so no further comment on the car science lol!
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:06 pm

maggiekedves wrote:

Im not a car mechanics that is what Ive been told why they eat more... so no further comment on the car science lol!

Okay =) lol!
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by g0tfish Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:22 am

thomandy wrote:
maggiekedves wrote:

Okay =) lol!

oh america is starting to go fuel efficient.. that is american car with flex fuel.. and imports like toyota and nissan.. they got sum mad mileage. the new nissan like altima, maxima and i believe sentra? not sure.. they got like about 32+ miles per gallon.. but nothing beats toyota top selling hybrid.. the Prius... tho the downside would b if ur a racer.. it wudnt do well on performance..

the transmission actually down have sumthing to do with saving gas.. if u have more gear.. it actually uses less gas.. and thats y a manual car saves gas more than automatic.. but if ur a fan of Lexus.. ((me)) cough* erm anyway.. they came out with a car with 8 speed transmission... but hell.. it runs on premium.. id go broke anyway buying gas..

and Thomas ur rite about the size of the engine.. it does consume more.. but apparently american like big cars. and big cars have big engine and a whole lot of power. and that is the price they pay for it.. MORE GAS MONEY! tho im not a fan of American car.. im more of.. Japanese/imported cars.

and i am very sry for dragging on so long about cars... hope i didnt bore u guys -_-'' Sad
g0tfish
g0tfish
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Female Number of posts : 30
Job/hobbies : Currently unemployed, Car/mechanic, piano, sleeping and eating
Length of time playing piano : owned a keyboard since little with no experience until now
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:08 am

g0tfish wrote:
oh america is starting to go fuel efficient.. that is american car with flex fuel.. and imports like toyota and nissan.. they got sum mad mileage. the new nissan like altima, maxima and i believe sentra? not sure.. they got like about 32+ miles per gallon.. but nothing beats toyota top selling hybrid.. the Prius... tho the downside would b if ur a racer.. it wudnt do well on performance..

the transmission actually down have sumthing to do with saving gas.. if u have more gear.. it actually uses less gas.. and thats y a manual car saves gas more than automatic.. but if ur a fan of Lexus.. ((me)) cough* erm anyway.. they came out with a car with 8 speed transmission... but hell.. it runs on premium.. id go broke anyway buying gas..

and Thomas ur rite about the size of the engine.. it does consume more.. but apparently american like big cars. and big cars have big engine and a whole lot of power. and that is the price they pay for it.. MORE GAS MONEY! tho im not a fan of American car.. im more of.. Japanese/imported cars.

and i am very sry for dragging on so long about cars... hope i didnt bore u guys -_-'' Sad

Thanks for supporting what I thought about transmission and gas mileage cheers I dont like huge American cars either. And who ever read this part Thomas and me already bored them lol!
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:37 am

maggiekedves wrote:
g0tfish wrote:

Thanks for supporting what I thought about transmission and gas mileage cheers I dont like huge American cars either. And who ever read this part Thomas and me already bored them lol!

Hehehe Smile As I can tell fro mwhat you are saying g0tfish, you also think the gasconsumption of a car mainly depends on the size of the car and engien?! And as we all agre, the automatic cars use more. But its not so much as dubbel, its far actually from dubble =) So maggie, cant se how he agree with you on this one. Razz hehe

And as I said, its up to each person to buy what type of car they want. And if one wants to buy a big american car, that use alot of gas its okay. But still, the same big car dosnt really use less gas if it isnt automatic. It marginal. 90% size of engien, and 10% what type of gear, automatic, 4 or 5gears...

Im sticking to my story about this, and as I said, I think g0tfish just backing what I said Razz hehe
So we interpeted that post different Maggie Very Happy But, lets agree to disagree Wink
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:50 am

thomandy wrote:
Im sticking to my story about this, and as I said, I think g0tfish just backing what I said Razz hehe
So we interpeted that post different Maggie Very Happy But, lets agree to disagree Wink

I said that Im not a car mechanics but Ive been told American cars eat more because they are automatic.
And lo behold g0tfish says "the transmission actually down have sumthing to do with saving gas.. if u have more gear.. it actually uses less gas.. and thats y a manual car saves gas more than automatic.. "

So where do you think there is opposition? He supported clearly that the transmission has something to do with using more or less gas.
While you stated "The automatic transmission dosnt really use much more gas. The thing that differs the most is the size of the engien! "
I think you are opposed what he said.
We have a quite new American car ( only a station wagon) and it eats 22 mi/gallon while if we could have afford a Toyota - I think that hybrid kind- that eats 46 mi/gallon... I think that sound like double...
Anyway Im bored of the topic... I rather concentrate on a pleasant music.
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:44 am

maggiekedves wrote:
thomandy wrote:

I said that Im not a car mechanics but Ive been told American cars eat more because they are automatic.
And lo behold g0tfish says "the transmission actually down have sumthing to do with saving gas.. if u have more gear.. it actually uses less gas.. and thats y a manual car saves gas more than automatic.. "

Then I dont think you read what I write Razz Cose I totaly agree with that. I know automatic cars use more gas Razz
And I say so in all the post, BUT... as I have sait 2-3 times before, it is Marginal. If you drive the same car, one is automatic and one is stick - And you drive normaly, they use almost the same, the automatic just a tad more. But that I have said all the time Razz

The size of the engien is the maine reason a car use more gas. Thats a fact, not somthing I think or making up. And with normal use, an autmoatic use little mor gas, nearly nothin... Maby as I said earlyer: 1/8 more...
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:00 am

American cars usually eat more because they are heavy, have huge motors etc....
Japenes cars ftw, they usually are ages in front of the others.

( but ofcourse, I want an old Pontiac )
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:35 am

VictorCS wrote:American cars usually eat more because they are heavy, have huge motors etc....
Japenes cars ftw, they usually are ages in front of the others.

( but ofcourse, I want an old Pontiac )

Yupp, thats right =)
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:31 am

Actually, as far as transmission goes, Manuals CAN in theory give you better gas mileagle. Because you can control what RPM you are in. The higher RPM you are in the faster your engine speed is, to keep the engine going that fast the engine has to be pumped full of gas. So if you drive in a higher RPM you drain more gas. It's sort of like turning on a tap, the more you turn it and the faster the water is flowing the more water you're using, it's very similar to that with RPM. The other single biggest factor for fuel mileage is the displacement of your car's engine. Or in other words, how big your engine is. If you have a huge engine that would be like having a fire hose instead of a small kitchen tap. the bigger your engine the more gas it burns at a time.

Japanese cars have smaller engine sizes than American cars. the size of the engine is usually on the car. My Mazda RX7 has an engine size of 1.3 liters, that's the amount of displacement in the engine itself. My parents car is a V6 with 3.1 liters of displacement, that means if both cars are running at the same engine speed at the same time, there is 1.5 liters MORE of air AND GAS being pumped through the Pontiac. (This is sort of a bad example because i have a rotary engine and my parents car is a piston engine, so they have completely different way's of operating)

Anyway, so what RPM you're driving the car at determines how bad your gas mileage is going to be. Manual transmission cars CAN get better gas mileages because you can CHOOSE to drive in very low RPM's. BUT if you're like me...i drive in high RPM's because there's more power there and it's it's plain more fun Very Happy....soo I actually get worse millage with my manual Japanese car than most Automatic American cars get right now.. Razz with manual the choice is always yours how you want to drive.

Automatic cars were actually built to be operating in the optimal RPM range for gas milage, so technically for city driving they're probably better on gas than anyone but a very knowledgeable driver would be driving a manual.

BUT once you hit the highway's, automatics take more gas because they have less gears, (usually only 4) once you're driving above about 80kph your mileage starts going WAY down because your car is forced to drive in higher RPM's to keep up that speed. While if you're driving a manual transmission you can just shift up to the 5th gear or even the 6th gear. This dramatically lowers your RPM's and over a long time you'll spend alot less on gas!

ALSO....if you REALLY want to get more complicated, if you're driving a sports car, you're going to have to pay for premium fuel which is going to cost more, plus sports cars usually have some sort of boost put on them to suck more air and compress it into the engine (giving more power) usually it's a turbo charger, sometimes a super charger...either way, cars that have this will dramatically lower their gas mileage to sacrifice for more power.

lol, hopefully that wasn't too boring, but i wanted to set everyone straight i could've gotten more detailed, but...i thought i'd spare you guys! If you have any more questions let me know Wink
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:57 pm

Not to boring Andrew. Very Happy Well, as I can tell from what you also are saying, that there isnt a big difference because of the transmission. Automatic cars are actually built to drane less gas, at normal speed. Thats cinda cool. =)

And as you say, to drive slow or to drive fast its a personal choice.
And there are also many autmoatics with 5 gears. So still that is a choice you make when buy the car. My Parents got a 5gear Automatic transmission. I got a 5 gear stickshift transmission. They are both 2.0 liters. And almost same year(94 and 93) Cant differensiat the amount of gas they use. (Prox; 0.8 Liter pr KM - Both cars)

So I guess the conclusion is that a:

Automatic 4gear japaneise car uses almost the same amount of gas as a 4gear stickshift-car.

Automatic 5 gear japaneise car uses almost the same amount of gas as a 5gear stichshift- car. The same goes for Americans.

Important to compare simulare cars to get a answer to the question, if a stickshift use half the amount of gas than a automatic.

Cant compare a 3.1liter American Cadilack(Automatic) vs a 1.0 liter Zusuki(stickshift) Razz And then conclude that Automatics use more gas than stickshift lol!
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:26 pm

We just love Andrew's car, I found this on wikipedia... I'm to lazy to write:

Wankel engines are considerably simpler and contain far fewer moving parts. For instance, because valving is accomplished by simple ports cut into the walls of the rotor housing, they have no valves or complex valve trains; in addition, since the rotor is geared directly to the output shaft, there is no need for connecting rods, a conventional crankshaft, crankshaft balance weights, etc. The elimination of these parts not only makes a Wankel engine much lighter (typically half that of a conventional engine of equivalent power), but it also completely eliminates the reciprocating mass of a piston engine with its internal strain and inherent vibration due to repeated acceleration and deceleration, producing not only a smoother flow of power but also the ability to produce more power by running at higher rpm.

There are both + and - with it, but who cares, it's a amusing engine. I love the sound of high rpm Very Happy

Gas mileage and cars 180px-Wankel_Cycle_anim_en

I want this RX7, the old type:
Gas mileage and cars 800px-1983_Mazda_RX-7
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:28 pm

This is my RX7 here Smile It's really fun to drive and it has a 13b rotary engine inside. It's a sucker on Gas though, I'm thinking of selling it. I only get maybe 14 MPG with it.

Gas mileage and cars Dsc00211

Gas mileage and cars Dsc00212

This is the second gen model called the "FC" it's an '87 so it's just about exactly the same age as I am lol...the engine has well over 200,000 on it and it still runs quite well Smile Rotary engines stand up to abuse really well, but their one weakness is their apex seals, mine are so old that they're not sealing properly, so when I try to hot start my car it wont' start because the gap has expanded just enough to not seal the chambers. The only way to fix the problem it take the engine out and pull everything apart and then rebuild the engine with new apex seals and O'rings etc...to rebuild it though it would cost as much as this car is worth right now...lol so I might get rid of it and buy myself another car Smile

lol I think I'm going to move our last 2 pages of posts into another discussion since this is all super off topic.
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:45 pm

I remember you commentic a pic of your car in a lesson. Very Happy
A laughed alot on that one...

Andrew said......................... wrote:"Nice car ha?... I know - *and laughing*"

Funny Very Happy
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by zeroflash Thu May 01, 2008 1:44 am

Hmm... here it's around $1.10 per liter. I use premium as well and i have a Toyota. Well, there are lots and lots of factors to consider when we talk about mileage. I agree, engines and transmissions do contribute to how much gas is consumed bigger engines, higher consumption definitely. Automatic, supposed to be cheaper as there is a computer that controls amount of gas being injected into the engine unlike manual. But wait there's more. There are still some such as condition of the engine, air intake, good exhaust, how much we step on the gas pedal (more on manual transmission), weight of passengers, oil, traffic, mods, road condition, etc.

zeroflash
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 54
Job/hobbies : Technical support, Customer Service, Playing the Piano, video games, books, computers/int
Length of time playing piano : around 2 years total. :)
Registration date : 2008-04-15

https://www.youtube.com/zeroflashx2

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu May 01, 2008 4:12 am

zeroflash wrote:Hmm... here it's around $1.10 per liter. I use premium as well and i have a Toyota. Well, there are lots and lots of factors to consider when we talk about mileage. I agree, engines and transmissions do contribute to how much gas is consumed bigger engines, higher consumption definitely. Automatic, supposed to be cheaper as there is a computer that controls amount of gas being injected into the engine unlike manual. But wait there's more. There are still some such as condition of the engine, air intake, good exhaust, how much we step on the gas pedal (more on manual transmission), weight of passengers, oil, traffic, mods, road condition, etc.

Defenently true the things you are saying there, thats why a older care use lot more gas than a new on, if its the same type of car of course Smile Couse a new 3liter still use more than a old 1liter. But couse of the technology it probably nothing that differensiate them at a normal speed. Lots of things that can add to the gasconsumption. But my old Suzuki 1.3 liter used nearly nothing, maby 0.6 liter pr 10xKm. My Little newer Mazda use 0.8 liter pr 10xKm. My oldest car, a 89 toyota used 1liter pr 10xkm.

Glad we cleared ot that automatic transmission isnt the reson for a car to use dobbel the amount of gas. rendeer
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content