Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello, new to the forum

2 posters

Go down

Hello, new to the forum Empty Hello, new to the forum

Post by xytor Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:07 am

Hi, I'm "xytor" (a pseudonym like "lypur", of course), from the United States of America.
I've been playing piano on-and-off since I was a child. I did get private lessons, but they were mostly in the format: go home, learn a piece; then next week you will perform for the teacher. Needless to say, this was not exactly the best way to learn.
Now, I would like to really learn how to play for real, including sight-reading and proper technique. However, I can't due to time, space and money constraints (I am a college student living in a space no bigger than 10 square cubits).

With that in mind, I think I'll spend my time composing. I would very much like to learn how to compose fugues. Is this something that is welcome on this forum? If so, that's awesome.

Andrew's videos are amazing and I wish I had them 10 years ago when I had the time, space and hardware to practice every day! I especially like the videos on music theory, since it's the one thing that my lessons didn't go over very much at all.
xytor
xytor
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 6
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-12-10

Back to top Go down

Hello, new to the forum Empty Re: Hello, new to the forum

Post by Matthieu Stepec Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:33 am

Hello Xytor! Welcome to the forum.

About fugues: they are one of the most difficult compositional forms that you can imagine. They actually are a mix of harmony and counterpoint, and I think that you have to learn a lot of things before actually trying to write a fugue. Nevertheless, I'll be glad to teach all this stuff, as I have already learned it all... Wink

First I'd need to know what exactly you already know about music theory.

afro
Matthieu Stepec
Matthieu Stepec
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Male Number of posts : 204
Job/hobbies : Fencing, Table Tennis
Length of time playing piano : About 15 years
Guru Points : 25
Registration date : 2009-09-08

https://www.youtube.com/matthieustepec

Back to top Go down

Post by xytor Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi Matthieu, thanks for replying!
Well, my knowledge of music theory is scattered; I know random facts here and there. I've watched the first 20 of Andrew's "new" videos, but there are still large gaps. Perhaps there is an online reference somewhere for students of music theory?
Also, I don't know much about fugues except that it starts off with a subject on the tonic, then repeats the subject in the dominant, and then sets up to play the subject in the tonic again (usually in a lower octave). After that, it seems to me it's just a mish-mash of polyphony with the subject emerging completely or partially.
xytor
xytor
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 6
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down