Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intro to Piano for 5 Year Olds - Little Mozarts

4 posters

Go down

piano - Intro to Piano for 5 Year Olds - Little Mozarts Empty Intro to Piano for 5 Year Olds - Little Mozarts

Post by Circle_of_Fists Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Well, last night was the first piano class for my oldest son (who just turned 5). I wasn't sure what it was going to be about - if it was more just music and fun or more piano - but this is strictly a beginner piano class geared toward kids (which I was hoping for).

My son has been really interested in piano only since I started learning the piano from Andrew. But he really enjoys it, and even more now since the competition from Thomandy!

The materials for the class seem pretty well geared for little ones:
http://musicforlittlemozarts.com/piano_course.html

So far, so good. I hope he continues to enjoy it and progresses nicely.

And the other thing, the class is taught at a local piano store, where they have a bunch of acoustics (the class is done on electric keyboards). We plinked around on a couple of grands, but I didn't want to go nuts. I'm not sure if it was appropriate or not to be playing the pianos they were trying to sell. Very different than my Fantom, that's for sure! Razz

Last edited by Circle_of_Fists on Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 292
Job/hobbies : I needed a new hobby so piano it is!
Length of time playing piano : since June 09
Guru Points : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

piano - Intro to Piano for 5 Year Olds - Little Mozarts Empty Re: Intro to Piano for 5 Year Olds - Little Mozarts

Post by Circle_of_Fists Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:40 pm

So we had our second class this week. Still going good. Moved on to using 3 separate fingers on the 3 black keys and quarter notes. The teacher is strongly urging parents to have kids practice every day to develop finger strength. Just a little is ok. So far, so good!

We got to plunk around on more pianos this week. On the more inexpensive pianos, I didn't like the action at all. On one Yamaha I could actually feel a sort of click or hesitation at the bottom of the keystroke. I don't think that's supposed to be there. Shocked

I loved the feel of the high end Yamaha pianos. Very slick. Yamaha's Clavinova's were really nice too. I'm tempted to trade up now. Wink

And lastly, while we were there before we left, on of the store employees was jamming on a piano. My son thought it was great, looked at me and said, "He's better than you!". Laughing Now that I think of it, while he's seen people playing piano in band / concert settings, I don't think he's ever heard anyone just play the piano. Up until that point, I may be the best (and only) person he has heard play. I need to get him on you tube and show him some Horowitz. Razz

(sound familar? Razz )
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

piano - Intro to Piano for 5 Year Olds - Little Mozarts Empty Re: Intro to Piano for 5 Year Olds - Little Mozarts

Post by Circle_of_Fists Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:20 am

OK, about 1 year later, and I can say that the Little Mozart class was absolutely phenomenal! I think having a proper teacher in this setting is the most important thing. The teacher we had was really great and good with the kids, and always pushed them to do better which they always responded to.

We covered the first three books, and the classes went until the spring. All the white key names were learned and by the end of the third book, hands together pieces were introduced. Really an outstanding series, and my son learned a lot!

We moved to private lessons at the end of summer. We would have started at the beginning of summer, but long story. Anyway, he's doing great, and continues to develop and soak up every new thing presented to him (even with a little resistance, but some gentle nudging has thus far produced consistent practice. Wink )

I don't expect him to be the next Mozart, but at least I hope he will learn an art very few kids are learning these days (at least in the US) that he can carry into adulthood and enjoy forever.

So, yeah, I highly recommend the Little Mozart series for your young children if group classes are offered in your area!
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by jytte Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:52 am

That is so great! I can imagine that you'll need to "nudge" once in a while, as kids probably have short attention spans and so many things going on around them. But if not sooner, then later in life he'll thank you for giving him this opportunity!
Way to go piano - Intro to Piano for 5 Year Olds - Little Mozarts Thumbup

jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 268
Length of time playing piano : Since July 2009 (Yamaha PSR E313) SHEET COLLECTION ON MY WEBSITE
Guru Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-19

http://www.piano.christrup.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:45 pm

This is sweet. So happy you introduced this in his life and is investing on him. He's a lucky child for having this opportunity so young. Smile You've done great.
Kelly
Kelly
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 134
Job/hobbies : Student
Guru Points : 9
Registration date : 2010-09-05

https://www.facebook.com/tkellerz

Back to top Go down

Post by rbacl Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:22 pm

You know what I would like to hear more about, is those first months when little Wolfgangus started poking dad's harpsichord, and Leopold showed him a bit of this and a bit of that: what were those first explorations like? Is that in a book somewhere?

rbacl
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 27
Length of time playing piano : a few years in childhood, now seeking to kindle
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down