Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fingering problems...

4 posters

Go down

Fingering problems... Empty Fingering problems...

Post by aendym Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi everybody...

so here I am, trying to teach myself how to play the piano and always coming up with the same problem: Where to put my fingers... (now, Im guessing I should put them on the keys, right??? Razz )
But seriously, here is my question:
If there are no little numbers above the notes how do I figure out which finger to use on which keys? Do I just fumble around and try it out until I feel comfortable with the fingers and am able to play it quick enough? Or is there a golden rule Ive missed out on that tells me how to find it out easier? Cause to me that is really the hardest part about learning a new piece!

I could really use some help here so Im thankful for every reply and helping hint!!!

Thanks
Andria sunny
aendym
aendym
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 208
Job/hobbies : Teacher - other than that painting, drawing and being creative
Length of time playing piano : August 2009
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Fingering problems... Empty Re: Fingering problems...

Post by Circle_of_Fists Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:57 pm

I've found that most parts of the music that do not have finger numbers above the keys just come naturally, or intuitively. Meaning, if there are numberings for the section before, it will usually leave your hand in a position to play the non-numbered notes in a very easy way.

So, just find the position for your hand where it is the easiest to play and least stressed.

But find that correct hand position for yourself first thing and stick to it. I had to correct my hand position once for a piece that I had been playing for a while, and the old way was so ingrained in my playing that making the change was difficult to do (but I'm glad I did it). Very Happy
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 292
Job/hobbies : I needed a new hobby so piano it is!
Length of time playing piano : since June 09
Guru Points : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by aendym Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:06 pm

How did you notice that your hand position was incorrect?? Is it something you feel and always stumble over? Or does it hurt or what?

Im having the hardest problems with the big leaps in between notes and like starting on # 3 or stuff like that. Its like my fingers ALWAYS want to start on the # 1...

Thats probably one of the reasons why one should have proper Piano-lessons and not try to teach oneself... pale
aendym
aendym
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 208
Job/hobbies : Teacher - other than that painting, drawing and being creative
Length of time playing piano : August 2009
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Circle_of_Fists Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:02 pm

aendym wrote:How did you notice that your hand position was incorrect?? Is it something you feel and always stumble over? Or does it hurt or what?

At faster speeds I was often making a mistake on one part. By changing my fingering I was able to play the part more consistently since my hand was now in a better position to play the right note.

Im having the hardest problems with the big leaps in between notes and like starting on # 3 or stuff like that. Its like my fingers ALWAYS want to start on the # 1...

Thats probably one of the reasons why one should have proper Piano-lessons and not try to teach oneself... pale

A great thing about this forum is that you can get some great advice from other players here. If you perhaps link to the sheet music and show the area you are unsure about, you might get some ideas on how to make the fingering. Very Happy

(hopefully you don't get 4 different answers! Razz )
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 292
Job/hobbies : I needed a new hobby so piano it is!
Length of time playing piano : since June 09
Guru Points : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by endre Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:32 pm

aendym wrote:Thats probably one of the reasons why one should have proper Piano-lessons and not try to teach oneself... pale

Qft.

It's my reason anyway. An hour a week or bi-weekly won't kill my budget and I get some help. Turns out it was a good idea, my teacher always finds stuff to criticize, be that posture, the way I keep or move my hands, fingers, why I move my wrist, why I am not moving my wrists, or just musical stuff (who would have thought there's so many ways to play a 1 row short tune) etc. etc. but usually has a good reason to tell me, lucky to have a patient teacher I guess. I don't know now but think one day I will be grateful to her. :p

So it's never a bad idea indeed even if just bi-weekly at least to correct stuff and answer questions.

endre
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 113
Job/hobbies : IT
Length of time playing piano : april 09
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by ROBIN Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:04 pm

hi again andria Smile..all the above posts are gd answers ...what i tend to do is find my fingering tht suits me ..and then google the song i am learning and then cross reference my finger patterns to a few others and i find i am not far off the mark most time ,so this then builds my confidence for nxt piece ..you will also find not all play exactly same so you could also get useful tips ..gd luck andria Smile

ROBIN
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 178
Job/hobbies : learning to play
Length of time playing piano : as long as it takes (nearly 4 months)
Registration date : 2009-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down