Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ode to Joy!

2 posters

Go down

Ode to Joy! Empty Ode to Joy!

Post by Klavier Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:46 pm

The first piece I've come to in my book which is an actual piece and not a finger exercise thingy! I've been playing through different parts on different hands and I'm slowly making progress!

The two linked 8th notes on the right hand was the first eight notes I'd come across. They were difficult the first few times but then I managed to fit those 2 bars which contain them in one hand motion and now its my easiest part of the piece and now everything else sounds behind! Haha, its funny how this practice stuff works, its kinda scary how you improve the more you try, never had a hobby like this when I can see the progress so clearly! ^^

I'll post back when I've completed it and it sounds musical! Razz

I'm getting better! I've started making it sound more like recordings I've heard of it, its a little more difficult than what I thought but most parts I'm extremely happy with! I even closed my eyes and saw if I could play it and I can play it better eyes closed than open and I don't understand why, haha! Very Happy

Last edited by Klavier on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm getting better!)
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 200
Job/hobbies : ASDA Colleague | Piano, games and movies.
Length of time playing piano : 2 Weeks! ^_^
Guru Points : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Ode to Joy! Empty Re: Ode to Joy!

Post by jytte Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:03 pm

Ode to Joy was also one of the first "real" songs that I learned to play (all of 3 weeks ago). It's such a nice tune, and I still play it daily as practice. Just go slow, and you'll get it.

In case anybody is interested, I am playing this easy version (LINK). I always lament people discussing a tune without direction to the sheet, in case other people would like to play it too. So there.
jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 268
Length of time playing piano : Since July 2009 (Yamaha PSR E313) SHEET COLLECTION ON MY WEBSITE
Guru Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-19

http://www.piano.christrup.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:05 am

That sheet is a little different to the one I am playing, it has the left hand played WITH the right hand, at the same time! Razz It however is the next logical step for me now that I can do hands separately on the main melody and I shall go practice it at once! Thanks lady! Smile
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by jytte Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:01 am

That is the next step, and also the great hurdle I think we all encounter; playing something different with left and right hand at the same time. It takes a LOT of practice I guess. I've just mastered the solid chords, now I'm trying to learn to play broken chords. Like you, I can play the hands individually beautifully, then put them together, and chaos ensues LOL.

But it feels great when you finally play a piece that took you almost a week to master
Very Happy
jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Length of time playing piano : Since July 2009 (Yamaha PSR E313) SHEET COLLECTION ON MY WEBSITE

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:04 am

www.makingmusicfun.net/

I've stumbled across this site with great free sheet music, which goes in levels and also has classical/traditional sections of each level, so its great! I've been listening to the sheet music which you can do on the site, so you know how it should sound and I'm surprised how many pieces I recognise!

It also has an Ode to Joy version I'm working through and also a Sonatina by Clementi which I absolutely adore! Razz
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by jytte Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:33 am

That is also my favorite site for sheet music, especially since you can hear what the piece is supposed to sound. So many sites offer sheet music, but if you don't know the piece already, how would you know if you'd even like to play it?
By the way, I now play Ode to Joy with full chords (triads) in the bass instead, as it sounds fuller and better to me. It's fun when you get to a stage where you can have some fun with the little pieces, so you don't get bored by the constant practice.
jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:03 am

I'm starting to have trouble whenever I have to use my 4th and 5th finger in quick succession as I have to in a part of Ode To Joy. Strange things keep happening like I automatically speed up my entire hand for the notes afterward when they aren't 8th notes and don't need to be. I guess I'll just keep working on my 2 weak fingers!

On a side note, my mum walked by my room and went "That sounds nice!" Razz
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by jytte Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:54 am

And I'm sure it did.

Living in England, you've probably never heard of it, but I lived for many years in USA, and there I learned the two-step. It's a cowboy dance, and the rythm of it is slow-slow-quick-quick, like you'd imagine dancing on a sheet of music with 4-4-8-8 notes. Anyway, having similar trouble with my fingers (pinky and ring on both hands), I started practicing the two-step on the piano. That is to say, I practiced over and over again, playing 4-4-8-8-4-4-8-8-4-4, with the weak fingers doing the 8 notes, and the other fingers for the 4 notes. That did the trick for me.
jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by jytte Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:01 pm

By the way, from another posting here, I found a link to the piano lessons book, in order to get the sheet music for the 'Mountain Song'.
After copying the sheet, I started to read through this book from the beginning, and it has a world of great information, including great directions on what and how to practice, also trouble-areas (like weak fingers). I picked up a lot of pointers here, and it has improved and structured my practice even more.
jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:22 pm

Its a very in depth book isn't it? Shocked

I'm reading through it from the start now as I'm typing this. Its really honest which I like and has pretty much everything I could think of answered, I'll be referring back to this one a lot. Thanks! ^_^

EDIT
I just managed to play half of Ode to Joy perfectly! Right tempo and right dynamics, everything! I was recording myself and there was no stops and starts which I get when I go to the next line or phrase but then half way through I got to the hard bit and made a mistake but oh well! Its the first time I've played something which actually sounds musical and not mechanical! YAY! ^_^
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Klavier Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:23 am

I can play it all now! Yay!! Razz
Onto Little Sonata by Charles Henry Wilton! study
Klavier
Klavier
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum