Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd solo performance at a Charity Concert

4 posters

Go down

2nd solo performance at a Charity Concert Empty 2nd solo performance at a Charity Concert

Post by jeanne.supermum Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:19 am

Hi all,

just want to say that Andrew was so right about how to overcome performance jitters.

I just had a performance on 18 Jul09 and felt as he described....except that I could not hold the "bubble space" for long and broke down in the 1st movement!

But I stopped and restarted at a convenient section and breezed thru the 2nd and 3rd movements to the end!

The nervousness came and went quickly.....so THANK YOU ANDREW for your kind words last year!

I think with each year, it should get easier to go up on stage!

Thanks!

Jeanne.

P/S, I performed a simple piece - Beethoven's sonata in E, op 14 no 1, all three movements.

jeanne.supermum
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Female Number of posts : 23
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

2nd solo performance at a Charity Concert Empty Re: 2nd solo performance at a Charity Concert

Post by Circle_of_Fists Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:02 pm

I haven't seen Andrew's video yet, but I need it too. I usually practice and play alone (unless my kids are banging on my keyboard as I'm playing, which is annoying but good practice in a way, I figure).

Yesterday my sister visited. I showed off my new keyboard and played a couple of songs for her. I completely fell apart. pale

Must. Find. Andrew's. Video.

I can't imagine having a performance. You're very brave! Very Happy
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 292
Job/hobbies : I needed a new hobby so piano it is!
Length of time playing piano : since June 09
Guru Points : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

2nd solo performance at a Charity Concert Empty Re: 2nd solo performance at a Charity Concert

Post by Thomandy Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:31 pm

Circle_of_Fists wrote:I can't imagine having a performance. You're very brave! Very Happy

Well, I was like this in the beginning to. Ruined the performance when someone listened to me Razz
But I got more and more used to it, eve though I also get some nervousness-attacks but mostly at parts I feel a little unsecure about. But, the tips i got: There is a site called

BLOGTV:
http://www.blogtv.com

If you got a web camera and a simple mic/or cable from the piano to the mic entry on the pc you can play there. Usually if you have not advertised to many people, there will come 1-2-3 people in from time to time. Then you Know people might and are watching, but from a distance. It was a good start for me, and Im trying to build some performance-experience from it Smile and it has helped already after 3 shows Smile

Might help Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne.supermum Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:11 am

hi both!

it took a year and 2 performances to get this far....I used to break down in front of my teacher (during lessons) even though I had played my pieces perfectly at home during practice!

I felt less self conscious this time - the first time I felt like all eyes scrutinising me!! this time I took a deep breath and did not care what they thought - maybe that's it.

My teacher told me in that I did not behave like a "DIVA" and that I should.....anyway....its a good confidence builder!

jeanne.supermum
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by ROBIN Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:54 pm

hehe circle i am same as you lol "Yesterday my sister visited. I showed off my new keyboard and played a couple of songs for her. I completely fell apart." i forget all notes and timing goes out of window but i will persist and conquer as confidence builds as im sure yours will Smile
and a big gratz to you jeanne on your performance ,would loved to have heard you play :)as you seem very competent going by your profile Smile

ROBIN
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 178
Job/hobbies : learning to play
Length of time playing piano : as long as it takes (nearly 4 months)
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2009-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanne.supermum Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:07 am

Hi Robin, thanks for your words of encouragement! I have a video of the performance which my dad took and last year's as well. I intend to upload both (mistakes as well) so that you and others can see the difference in my behaviour and composure! Except I don't have the time to sit and do this....got to send my kids for their enrichment class soon....when I have the time I will post....it should be an eye opener to anyone who wants to do this but have no guts....I am actually shy and introverted...so this has improved my confidence as well!

When you make a mistake in the performance, the audience is actually more shocked than you are and more sympathetic and rooting for you to actually carry on.....so you should feed on the good vibes to push through.....I intend to work with kids when I retire....hee hee....

Supermum.

jeanne.supermum
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Circle_of_Fists Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:50 am

Very encouraging to hear, supermum! Thank you for sharing. I would love to hear you perform, and similar to most (all?) of us here, I don't mind mistakes either! Wink
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 292
Job/hobbies : I needed a new hobby so piano it is!
Length of time playing piano : since June 09
Guru Points : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down