Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trouble with diction and dynamic contrast

2 posters

Go down

trouble with diction and dynamic contrast Empty trouble with diction and dynamic contrast

Post by Sparrow Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:03 am

I well be singing at a music festival coming up in only FOUR DAYS (gasp!). I feel prepared for it, except for a couple of things. First, I'm not very expressive. I'm singing a very emotional piece, but I don't have much dynamic contrast, and I'm scared to mess with it in case I mess with the tone or go out of tune or something. Second, my diction is crap. It always has been, from the first time I sang. I've tried to work on it, but it doesn't seem to get any better. I don't know if there is anything special I can do about problems like this, but any advice would be very welcome.
Thanks bunches,
Sparrow

Sparrow
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 14
Job/hobbies : music in general, especially piano and singing; art, my favorite is scratch art
Length of time playing piano : Since i was five, so twelve years, but only nine years of lessons
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

trouble with diction and dynamic contrast Empty Re: trouble with diction and dynamic contrast

Post by pianohama Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Well, about diction, the most important rule is simple : long vowels and very very short consonants, you should practice that Smile
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

trouble with diction and dynamic contrast Empty Re: trouble with diction and dynamic contrast

Post by Sparrow Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:54 pm

thanks, but the problem is actually my consonants. i tend to not hit them hard enough and they end up being inaudible, so all anyone hears is vowels. i guess its just something i have to work on.

Sparrow
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 14
Job/hobbies : music in general, especially piano and singing; art, my favorite is scratch art
Length of time playing piano : Since i was five, so twelve years, but only nine years of lessons
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:54 am

Sparrow wrote:thanks, but the problem is actually my consonants. i tend to not hit them hard enough and they end up being inaudible, so all anyone hears is vowels. i guess its just something i have to work on.

Well, try singing with waay to much emphasis on the consonants for a while, and then try singing without worrying about it at all, hopefully this will make you automatically use more of the consonants
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down