Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise?

+6
Angela
Thomandy
Casyopea
VictorCS
maggiekedves
Admin Andrew
10 posters

Go down

What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise?

piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Vote_lcap0%piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Vote_lcap10%piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 2 ]
piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Vote_lcap10%piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 2 ]
piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Vote_lcap30%piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 6 ]
piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Vote_lcap30%piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 6 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 20

piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Empty What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise?

Post by Admin Andrew Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:03 am

Vote away!

For me, it's hardest to get up the energy to do ear training
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Empty Re: What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise?

Post by maggiekedves Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:00 am

Admin Andrew wrote:Vote away!

For me, it's hardest to get up the energy to do ear training

How do you do the ear training anyway? The only different I can tell is the high or low pitch... other than that...
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

https://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

piano - What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise? Empty Re: What do you avoid/dislike doing most for your piano practise?

Post by VictorCS Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:11 am

Sight reading is something I'm never gonna practise, I use my memory...

I've done some eartraining, and I'm getting better at it,
but it is still just one key at the time, no chords yet.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Casyopea Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:52 pm

I love everything! If only I could quit my job and be paid by the hour just for practising hehehe! But yes, ear training is my big challenge. I bought a game for Nintendo DS, called Rhythm'n'Notes, and its quite good for that. You can train your ear for chords and for individual notes too. But now I am learning the basics for music notation theory and solphege and I don't get much time to play with it, maybe in the summer when I have some extra-time left.

Cheers,

Elena.
Casyopea
Casyopea
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 102
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-04-06

http://es.youtube.com/user/casyopea1977

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:18 am

Casyopea wrote:I love everything! If only I could quit my job and be paid by the hour just for practising hehehe! But yes, ear training is my big challenge. I bought a game for Nintendo DS, called Rhythm'n'Notes, and its quite good for that. You can train your ear for chords and for individual notes too. But now I am learning the basics for music notation theory and solphege and I don't get much time to play with it, maybe in the summer when I have some extra-time left.

Cheers,

Elena.

Sounds fun but I dont think I will buy a Nintendo DS just for that purpose. lol!
It is about the price of a keyboard anyway affraid
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:34 am

Hehe... But I want to know what game it is Smile
Guess these cind of games to the DS is about $30
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Angela Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:11 am

haha! lol!
NO ONE likes ear training! That's flipping hilarious! The worse part about ear training for me was the clap backs. ooooo! Mad those were frustrating! I told my old voice teacher that I liked play backs better than clap backs and she just looked at me funny! haha! We all have our strong points I suppose!

Angela
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 103
Job/hobbies : piano teacher, playing piano, working out, reading
Length of time playing piano : 18 years
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:53 am

Angela wrote:haha! lol!
NO ONE likes ear training! That's flipping hilarious! The worse part about ear training for me was the clap backs. ooooo! Mad those were frustrating! I told my old voice teacher that I liked play backs better than clap backs and she just looked at me funny! haha! We all have our strong points I suppose!

Well probably we are all lacking of a good method to develop this knowledge.
I bet with a good course we could excel in that Smile
Until I just need to clap back it is ok but when I am supposed to recognize the key only by hearing it I am shot. Chords are increasing the problem. Plus the differences between majors and minors and the distances, brrrrrr Shocked
I respect everyone who can tell by hearing two sounds how many semitones or tones away they are from each other.
I did testing programs on that and I failed it over and over and over again. Embarassed
I could not figure it out yet how the heck it is memorizable.
I know some people are really talented in it.
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:57 am

Am I the only one that loves ear training? If I listen to a song I can get it in the right key ( the melody line, i'm still struggling with chords ).
But if I have this or that song in my head I can manage to pull that out to, but I'm not sure I get it in the right key.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:14 am

I actually like ear training to! It's fun when i know I got it right! Plus it's useful when you hear something in your head and you want to play it.
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:48 am

Admin Andrew wrote:I actually like ear training to! It's fun when i know I got it right! Plus it's useful when you hear something in your head and you want to play it.

I did not say I did not like it I said I dont know how to do it and would like to learn it... that is a big difference.
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:31 am

maggiekedves wrote:
Admin Andrew wrote:I actually like ear training to! It's fun when i know I got it right! Plus it's useful when you hear something in your head and you want to play it.

I did not say I did not like it I said I dont know how to do it and would like to learn it... that is a big difference.

Hey maggie flower You could actually do it right now. you know the song "here comes the bride" the way it starts off is actually an interval of a perfect 4th, which would be from C to F a perfect 5th sounds liek twinkle twinkle little star...get your son to play those and see if you can tell the difference! ^_^ Hope that helps! Now you can learn!

ear training is being able to recignize different intervals, you can do that by knowing the songs that go with each interval. Here's a link for you!

http://www.jazzbooks.com/miva/documents/handbook/22_interval_chart.pdf

Have fun!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maggiekedves Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:53 pm

Admin Andrew wrote:

Hey maggie flower You could actually do it right now. you know the song "here comes the bride" the way it starts off is actually an interval of a perfect 4th, which would be from C to F a perfect 5th sounds liek twinkle twinkle little star...get your son to play those and see if you can tell the difference! ^_^ Hope that helps! Now you can learn!

ear training is being able to recignize different intervals, you can do that by knowing the songs that go with each interval. Here's a link for you!

http://www.jazzbooks.com/miva/documents/handbook/22_interval_chart.pdf

Have fun!
Thanks cheers that is a lot more helpful than just to try to guess on the ear training program and never hit the right answer. affraid
I will check it out.
maggiekedves
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by LizaTRENCHCOAT Fri May 02, 2008 11:28 pm

I think everything is fun except for scales.
Especially a. I can't do a with both hands!
well, it's hard for me anyway.
LizaTRENCHCOAT
LizaTRENCHCOAT
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Female Number of posts : 26
Job/hobbies : pIaNo!
Length of time playing piano : 11 years, minus some time in between.
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sat May 03, 2008 12:00 am

LizaTRENCHCOAT wrote:I think everything is fun except for scales.
Especially a. I can't do a with both hands!
well, it's hard for me anyway.

I actually like to do scales, just practiced the major scales so far, and it is relaxing to just sit an practice them when I dont want to practice a song Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sepheron Sat May 03, 2008 12:42 am

VictorCS wrote:Am I the only one that loves ear training? If I listen to a song I can get it in the right key ( the melody line, i'm still struggling with chords ).
But if I have this or that song in my head I can manage to pull that out to, but I'm not sure I get it in the right key.
I love ear training aswell... it's so fulfilling(?) when you hear this one song you really like/love, and there's no sheet for it.. so you just "ear-play" it (not at the first time some times, lol) and when you get all the music right you can play it all... It's so nice to do that, when you stop and get something you always fell somewhat acomplished! ;D

(before you can do that you gotta learn, like andrew said, every tone, half tone, 3rd, 4th etc... oh and the rythms aswell! :p)

Sepheron
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 42
Job/hobbies : Master in Electronic Engineer - getting a Doctor degree / Play piano
Length of time playing piano : I don't really know. I've been on and off constantly, but quite a few years for sure!
Registration date : 2008-05-01

http://www.esnips.com/user/sepheron

Back to top Go down

Post by KlutzSY Tue May 27, 2008 3:38 pm

Sepheron wrote:
VictorCS wrote:Am I the only one that loves ear training? If I listen to a song I can get it in the right key ( the melody line, i'm still struggling with chords ).
I love ear training aswell... it's so fulfilling(?) when you hear this one song you really like/love, and there's no sheet for it.. so you just "ear-play" it (not at the first time some times, lol) and when you get all the music right you can play it all... It's so nice to do that, when you stop and get something you always fell somewhat acomplished! ;D

(before you can do that you gotta learn, like andrew said, every tone, half tone, 3rd, 4th etc... oh and the rythms aswell! :p)

Ear training is my favourite, but I could only play the melody and not the chords. I think the biggest problem with ear training is that you dont know which scales it is in. I tried playing a song in different scales and the only difference is it's pitch. Like you have canon in D or C, is there any difference?
KlutzSY
KlutzSY
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 19
Job/hobbies : drawing, reading
Length of time playing piano : since Dec'07
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianokid220 Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:31 pm

EXAMS
Andrew your not the only one
you know you had to take a exam Well I do too
I still hav a few mor
I hate them with passion
it more stress
than to perfrom
study I hate the most
Pianokid220
Pianokid220
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 179
Job/hobbies : pEOPLE ARE MEAN
Length of time playing piano : WHY PLEASE DELETE ME ACCOUNT NOW
Registration date : 2008-07-15

https://www.youtube.com/aclyde15greenc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down