Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i need help in playing both hands..

+5
wongb18c
Admin Andrew
MysteriousGgirl
Thomandy
klixonnylle
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

hands - i need help in playing both hands.. Empty i need help in playing both hands..

Post by klixonnylle Sat May 02, 2009 11:34 am

hey guys im a complete beginner.. i cant play my both hands if it has different rhythm.. its hard for me.. what practices or drills should i do to improve it?? i need your tips guys..
klixonnylle
klixonnylle
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 112
Job/hobbies : Student
Length of time playing piano : complete beginner
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2009-04-29

Back to top Go down

hands - i need help in playing both hands.. Empty Re: i need help in playing both hands..

Post by Thomandy Sat May 02, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi Smile

Keyword: SLOW Smile

Dont think you will be able to just play things with different rhytme right away! You have to slow it down sooo much that you can play it, even if it takes you 1min to play something that should last 5 sec!

When I had learned the 1min of Maple Leaf Rag, I used 5min to to get through it in the beginning Smile And I was strict, no need to do it faster if faster means mistakes!! Then try to be secure in the speed you got! Make it smooth, instead of faster where you know it good and slower where you dont know it good. Slow everything down, and do it smooth Smile

Then before you know it, the speed is easier to get right. You can never go faster unless you are really secure! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

hands - i need help in playing both hands.. Empty Re: i need help in playing both hands..

Post by MysteriousGgirl Sat May 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks for the information.
But, i didnt understand what do u mean by (try to be secure) ?!
MysteriousGgirl
MysteriousGgirl
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 125
Job/hobbies : Designing, Drawing and playing Piano
Length of time playing piano : Biggner needs alot of help :D
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sat May 02, 2009 4:23 pm

Secure = No hesitation at all

Sorry, might be VERY bad English to use that word?! Smile
But what I mean, its that you shouldnt hesitate at all, and dont make any mistakes before you try to speed up! Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by MysteriousGgirl Sat May 02, 2009 8:19 pm

No problem i just didnt understand it.

thats my problem, specially, when someone stands beside me i lose my concentrate and i hesitate.

if u have any advice plz tell me.coz the next thursday my school has a party and they want me to play.i agreed but im very very scared to hesitate or forget what im playing because of the crowd.

THANK YOU.
MysteriousGgirl
MysteriousGgirl
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sat May 02, 2009 9:51 pm

MysteriousGgirl wrote:...if u have any advice plz tell me.coz the next thursday my school has a party and they want me to play.i agreed but im very very scared to hesitate or forget what im playing because of the crowd.

Sorry, but I cant really help, cause Im just like that as well!!! I have never played in front of a crowd, ever..
But you at least have to know the piece In and Out - Just practice it over and over. If you really know the piece, the chances are higher for success Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by klixonnylle Sun May 03, 2009 7:13 am

Ahhh ok.. So i need to practice slowly.. Thanks alot Thomandy!! Ill try to better.. thanks again..
klixonnylle
klixonnylle
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by MysteriousGgirl Sun May 03, 2009 4:24 pm

THANKS ALOT for helping us sunny
take care Smile
MysteriousGgirl
MysteriousGgirl
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sun May 03, 2009 5:26 pm

I guess I got here to late to help Smile thanks thomas!! Smile

PS that kitty on the piano is SOOO cute (I just had to say that)
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by wongb18c Sat May 23, 2009 2:44 am

Omg, have the same problem. My brain and it's motor neuron connections are so weak, I can't coordinate both hands either... when I try to play with both hands I screw up totally. Even if it's simple as hitting a base chord and playing a c major scale, I can't do it at the same time with both hands.

I think learning piano is hopeless for me.

wongb18c
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 17
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by MysteriousGgirl Sat May 23, 2009 9:56 am

Don't give upppp.. Mad Evil or Very Mad ,plz Smile Wink
Everything is hard in the beginning..but then with practicing and slowly slowly with patience u will see a big different..and follow Thomandy's advice..
Also, any help everybody here is ready to help.. Cool
MysteriousGgirl
MysteriousGgirl
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by klixonnylle Sat May 23, 2009 10:14 am

yeah don't give up.. i have the same problem as you and practice hard you can do it.. you can't play with both hands at first.. you should practice SLOWLY to do that.
klixonnylle
klixonnylle
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by wongb18c Sat May 23, 2009 10:08 pm

Yea, I guess I shouldn't give up yet, I only been playing for a little over a week.

wongb18c
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by lomtevas Sun May 24, 2009 1:55 am

To synchronize my hands when I first started playing, I used to play a two-handed C Major scale the width of the keyboard going up and down. After several such practice sessions, I was ready for two-handed playing.

As far as individual pieces, I always practice each hand until memorization sets in, and then I join up the hands.
lomtevas
lomtevas

Male Number of posts : 4
Job/hobbies : Attorney
Length of time playing piano : 45 years with 20 off
Registration date : 2009-05-03

http://www.lomtevas.com

Back to top Go down

Post by surehit123 Sun May 24, 2009 3:21 am

Here's a little piece of advice from someone that's been there, just before I graduated High School last March YAY!!!!! We had to do a school play, the good thing is that I was instructed to create a CD of To Zanarkand since the song fitted the mood, bad thing is during the time of the performance, the cd wouldn't play (awts).

Well they know about my Youtube page, so yeah I knew it was coming.
They asked me to play the song and just improvise on the spot (uhh Ohh) well I had no choice, it was a contest. The secret is this just before performing, talk to your friends about a completely different topic and laugh, that will loosen you up a bit. try to move a lot to let the blood flow otherwise, you'll end up being blue ROFL.

Performance time!

Place your hands on the keys and notice if they are shaking, if hey are close your eyes for a few seconds and try to minimize the noise with your head (Its not easy believe me). Then open your eyes and just freely move the normal way when you play, trust me its going to be fine.

Oh dont forget inhale and exhale a large amount of air to get the blood flowing and have the adrenaline pumping. Very Happy

Ohh and we came first and I was awarded for creating the entire lines for the play, plus playing of course ROFL
surehit123
surehit123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 239
Length of time playing piano : 7 months
Registration date : 2009-03-29

https://www.youtube.com/user/surehit123

Back to top Go down

Post by surehit123 Sun May 24, 2009 3:39 am

Omg, have the same problem. My brain and it's motor neuron connections are so weak, I can't coordinate both hands either... when I try to play with both hands I screw up totally. Even if it's simple as hitting a base chord and playing a c major scale, I can't do it at the same time with both hands.

I think learning piano is hopeless for me .YEA, I guess I shouldn't give up yet, I only been playing for a little over a week.

Only a week and you're already thinking on giving up!?
The answer coming from me would be absolutely :NO! this is unacceptable, during my first week, my fingers were still sore and pretty much wounded from playing too much, and I still couldn't play with both hands without ever hesitating!

I got through that! spending almost 4-5 hours a day practicing made me a lot better, and it took me a whole month just to get fluent with one song! I'm sorry for the use of the ! mark but this is just too mediocre for me! i hate people trying to give up only after doing something for a little while!

Listen to me. Playing with both hands is just the beginning, don't give up during the first few steps! and trust you haven't been to the hard part yet. Playing piano takes years to perfect and master, not to mention it takes a lot of time to play a song that really contents other people.

So, in other words. Giving up is RUBBISH AND POPPYCOCK! Mad
surehit123
surehit123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by klixonnylle Sun May 24, 2009 9:19 am

surehit123 wrote:Here's a little piece of advice from someone that's been there, just before I graduated High School last March YAY!!!!! We had to do a school play, the good thing is that I was instructed to create a CD of To Zanarkand since the song fitted the mood, bad thing is during the time of the performance, the cd wouldn't play (awts).

They asked me to play the song and just improvise on the spot (uhh Ohh) well I had no choice, it was a contest. The secret is this just before performing, talk to your friends about a completely different topic and laugh, that will loosen you up a bit. try to move a lot to let the blood flow otherwise, you'll end up being blue ROFL.

Performance time!

Place your hands on the keys and notice if they are shaking, if hey are close your eyes for a few seconds and try to minimize the noise with your head (Its not easy believe me). Then open your eyes and just freely move the normal way when you play, trust me its going to be fine.

Oh dont forget inhale and exhale a large amount of air to get the blood flowing and have the adrenaline pumping. Very Happy

Ohh and we came first and I was awarded for creating the entire lines for the play, plus playing of course ROFL

hahaha.. you are right Surehit.. i remember my worst exam in music.. we had to play a very simple piece, i practice it alot and when the the examination day come and its my turn.. it was a nightmare.. i saw my classmates looking at me.. i was very nervous and when i put my hands on the piano it starts shaking violently then i cant play even a single note my fingers wont move.. now when i remember that day it really make me crazy.. hahaha..

and again dont give up.. PRACTICE alot!! practice makes perfect right?
klixonnylle
klixonnylle
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by MysteriousGgirl Sun May 24, 2009 3:45 pm

klixonnylle wrote:
surehit123 wrote:Here's a little piece of advice from someone that's been there, just before I graduated High School last March YAY!!!!! We had to do a school play, the good thing is that I was instructed to create a CD of To Zanarkand since the song fitted the mood, bad thing is during the time of the performance, the cd wouldn't play (awts).

Performance time!

hahaha.. you are right Surehit.. i remember my worst exam in music.. we had to play a very simple piece, i practice it alot and when the the examination day come and its my turn.. it was a nightmare.. i saw my classmates looking at me.. i was very nervous and when i put my hands on the piano it starts shaking violently then i cant play even a single note my fingers wont move.. now when i remember that day it really make me crazy.. hahaha..

and again dont give up.. PRACTICE alot!! practice makes perfect right?

I wonder why we hesitate always ?!
this happens to me everytime I play in front somebody !! Shocked
MysteriousGgirl
MysteriousGgirl
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by surehit123 Sun May 24, 2009 3:57 pm

This is because we are not used be being stared at i guess. Very Happy
surehit123
surehit123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by wongb18c Mon May 25, 2009 12:45 am

I'm still having trouble coordinating two hands simultaneously, but I do see some improvement after hours of playing yesterday. I watched Andrew's video on Fur Elise and decided to try, I can play the easy part slowly now, and last week it was impossible for me!

Of course my timing and rhythum is still messed up but I'm happy, it's my first song on the piano, it felt kind of good inside, even though it was the easy section... the hard part is another story. I need to work on my sheet music reading, I'm soooooooooooooooo slow.

wongb18c
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by surehit123 Mon May 25, 2009 2:16 am

Its OK, just keep on practicing and you'll eventually get better. Very Happy
surehit123
surehit123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by klixonnylle Mon May 25, 2009 9:34 am

wongb18c wrote:I'm still having trouble coordinating two hands simultaneously, but I do see some improvement after hours of playing yesterday. I watched Andrew's video on Fur Elise and decided to try, I can play the easy part slowly now, and last week it was impossible for me!

Of course my timing and rhythum is still messed up but I'm happy, it's my first song on the piano, it felt kind of good inside, even though it was the easy section... the hard part is another story. I need to work on my sheet music reading, I'm soooooooooooooooo slow.

it means you are improving.. in your sheet reading you will be faster as time goes by, its like you are learning alphabet the more you use it the more you can remember it..
klixonnylle
klixonnylle
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by surehit123 Mon May 25, 2009 9:38 am

Good point Very Happy
surehit123
surehit123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by klixonnylle Mon May 25, 2009 9:41 am

thanks.. by the way im also very slow reading music sheet.. hahha
klixonnylle
klixonnylle
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by surehit123 Mon May 25, 2009 10:17 am

So am I ROFL Very Happy have to do the words (All Cows Eat Grass) jaha
surehit123
surehit123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next