Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Reason users out there?

+3
Admin Andrew
pianohama
Darkener
7 posters

Go down

Any Reason users out there? Empty Any Reason users out there?

Post by Darkener Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:15 am

I'm just learning how to use my keyboard more efficiently thanks to andrew. I actually have never had any interest in piano itself but now that I'm learning I'm very excited to get this musical knowledge... anyways, I still need help figuring out some of the trickier parts of reason such as automation, Proper use of effect units, and even some basic editing geek

If any can help me I'd be very grateful ^^
Darkener
Darkener
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 22
Job/hobbies : Raver
Length of time playing piano : 3 days
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-02-21

http://www.myspace.com/metal2227

Back to top Go down

Any Reason users out there? Empty Re: Any Reason users out there?

Post by pianohama Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:32 pm

I have reason but I don't care much for it I use Fruity Loops
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkener Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:58 am

sounds like it's time to switch... I'm getting seriously annoyed at the complexity of reason.
Darkener
Darkener
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:03 am

my friend xianning uses cubase you could test that out if you like ^_^
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkener Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:23 am

Oh I would like very much. *puts his hacker face on* I swear I'll pay for this stuff when I make money off it. >.<
Darkener
Darkener
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:42 pm

If you're looking for simplicity Cubase is not the way to go, it's more complicated than reason.

Fruity loops is extremely easy to use! I recommend it, it's very easy to do beats aswell
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkener Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:16 pm

I will take your advice. I'm glad to have access to your knowledge. You truly have my undying gratitude. : )
Darkener
Darkener
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Phobik2000 Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:06 am

Reason pwns U.
I've been using it since 2.5 so I've already entered the advanced area. The good thing is having a HW-like environment with all types of gear, that resembles real HW. So if you go and learn the real stuff you can easily do inside the box. Likewise, if you learn Reason it does pay getting your hands on real HW because you'll be familiar with it. I think its look is more the former then the later.

Oh, and just about NO-context-hidden menu options (besides some pull-downs on some parameters here and there). No need to dig.

Start with Redrum and lay some drum patterns.
Then a Subtractor or Maelstrom with a Bass patch and add Matrix, right-click ir and choose randomize. Then try changing one note or two in the Matrix with the mouse.

Add another synth and choose a Lead patch. Again add a Matrix and randomize some pattern.
You can then add a Rex player and load a percussion loop to add some flavour. Tadah!

It's a studio in you hands. If you have a midi keyboard you can just enable loop in the transport controls and play the devices instead of using a Matrix pattern machine. I often like to use it fro deep control, playing with the pattern speed knob, trigering stuff with CV(control voltage).

You should know what you want, and go one thing at a time.Read the help file, one device at the time, there isn't much to read, but you get the idea what the buttons are for.
Reason is meant to replace a studio rack of gear with CV trigering and syncing stuff. For example, Redrum drum machine can send CV to trigger a Bass patch in a synth or sampler. In the more advanced level you can have side-chain compression on a pad from a kick creating the duck-effect you hear in electronic music. Or use a matrix in initialized patch to send CV to the gate control of a RV7000 reverb and have a fast trance-gate. Just create and Effect after any playing device (with a pattern) and scroll to the various Effects to hear all the different stuff that can be done (using a Combinator you can mini-rack stuff and recall as a single device patch).

Oh, did I mention no nested menus? What you see is what you get. After a while messing with Reason (and trying other software) you really see the positive difference in NOT having to look in obscure menus for options. Instead you get to plug virtual audio and cv cables between devices, recreating a studio workflow at your will. Sure it takes time but it can be fun and rewarding.

While I'm aware of Reason's limitations - it's not a DAW, no audio handling - it's a great tool for learning about music.
Phobik2000
Phobik2000
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 150
Job/hobbies : IT
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkener Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:42 am

exactly why id been adament about sticking with the damn thing. and I think im gonna continue to do so. If only I could erase pieces of the midi inputs I laid down on my thor track... it doesnt wannna work with me on simple alterations but I'll figure it out. perhaps help menus would have been a good idea. thanks for the support and ideas : )
Darkener
Darkener
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Phobik2000 Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:24 am

Just select and delete them with [delete] key on the keyboard?

What version are you using? Prior to v4 all midi is loose notes, in v4 it's contained in a midi clip, double-click it to access its midi data. You may want to look for the tutorials on the propeller site and youtube channel for basic/advanced tips and work flow, it helps to watch. There is also a BIG pdf file in the Reason folder, it's a case of RTM.
Phobik2000
Phobik2000
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 150
Job/hobbies : IT
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by theWarden Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:51 pm

Phobik2000 wrote:Just select and delete them with [delete] key on the keyboard?

What version are you using? Prior to v4 all midi is loose notes, in v4 it's contained in a midi clip, double-click it to access its midi data. You may want to look for the tutorials on the propeller site and youtube channel for basic/advanced tips and work flow, it helps to watch. There is also a BIG pdf file in the Reason folder, it's a case of RTM.

LOL RTM
I tried that back when I first started using Reason in the 2.0 days, and it only confuses the newbies even more. I would suggest using tutorials, to learn how to operate the program, search YouTube or go to

http://evanderheide.demon.nl/reason/category+Propellerhead+Reason+tutorials.html

Really, Reason is all about expirementation.. EVERYTHING is possible in that program. Trust meh.

That's a pretty cool listing of some interesting tutorials.
Hope it helps. Cool
theWarden
theWarden
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 30
Job/hobbies : Music, Books, Girls, Paintball
Length of time playing piano : 1 month
Guru Points : 1
Registration date : 2009-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul_Prince77 Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:24 pm

reason is best used for looping... cubase and related programs are great for live recording... what i find for me that worked best is investing in a keyboard with a midi sequencer... here u can lay down your piano and syth tracks and in real time if you want to. u can also work with loops i guess it depends on where your at with music.. fruity loops is ok too if you like loops... for me loops are like a creative prison... if u get a good sequencing keyboard it makes life simple and u can transitions into real time... then you just record your tracks into a program like nuendo/ cubase or protools and which point u can add live drums guitar bass etc... also with a good sequencing keyboard u can also sequence your drums bass guitar etc... basically its a very versatile option... at one point i did work with reason and used alot of loops but eventually i wanted to do a more live sound... anyways im done babbling ha ha good luck!!
Soul_Prince77
Soul_Prince77
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 44
Job/hobbies : i play any instrument i can get mah hands on
Length of time playing piano : 6 years
Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Caius Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:37 am

heres a site where u can download reason v5 4 free no tricks or strings attached it also comes with demo versions of recyle and record well here it is
www.btjunky.com
just type in reason 5 n select one with good health u noe the green bar almost 4got u have 2 have torrent host u can download one from here
www.bitlord.com
once u do all that just save the torrent file n open it up with bit n it should start downloading mind u its 7 gigs so it might take a while also if u have any problems just reply 2 this message n ill help the best i can also ur gonna need 2 mount the icon on 2 a blan cd along with the rest of the stuff that has 2 b imported u ca download this program that lets u mount images
www.daemontoolslite.com
yea i noe its a lot but trust me its worth it reason 5 is just good n also if u want the full version of recycle just type in recycle v2.1 on the first site i mentioned

Caius
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down