Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to start teaching a child

2 posters

Go down

How to start teaching a child Empty How to start teaching a child

Post by Esther Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi, my name is Esther...and, well...I'll introduce myself personally in the introduction section when I get time for that.

For now I want to ask for some guidance about teaching piano to a 7-year-old, and I will have to explain a little:

I do not know how to play the piano myself. I have been intrigued by the piano all of my life, but never had the chance to learn. Recently someone gave a 61-key Yamaha keyboard to my daughter. She was born with Spina Bifida, and now that she is getting older, we are facing "boredom" issues with her, as her mind and brain are fine, and she is an intelligent girl, but she is paralyzed from the waist down.

The keyboard has been an answer to prayer, and I am now VERY excited and PASSIONATE about learning myself so that I can teach her. She herself is very excited, and asks multiple times a day (starting when she first open her eyes in the morning) to be sat in front of the keyboard to "practice".

So far, I have taught her do-re-mi (C major scale, but only one time up and down, with the thumb tuck), and she asked to learn "Twinkle, Twinkle", so we're working on that. My intention is to NEVER push her to practice or play when she's not self-motivated, because I really want this to "take", and I don't want it to become something she dreads. So far (about one week) she loves it.

My question, Andrew, is where do I go from here?! I am looking for a nearby teacher/music school. We live in Mexico and are not native Spanish-speakers, so this in itself is a challenge, and money is also an issue.

Since you are a piano teacher can you give me some guidelines or steps to follow for teaching her myself at Home? I am working through your videos, and those are great for me, but somewhat over her head. Are there children's books you recommend, that I can buy on Amazon?
Can you give me a sort of scope-and-sequence as to what order to teach her things? (Note, she is a very small 7-year-old, in size she is more like a 4-year-old, with small hands.)

Myself, I am reading through this forum, it was an absolute godsend to find this place! (Searched on youtube for "how to learn piano" and found your vidoes, and website, and this forum!) I have been helped tremendously by the links and tips shared by all the users.

So, for myself, I'm working through your video lessons, learning scales and arppegios, and have downloaded sheets for Hanon and Czerny for fingering practice. I'm working on simple songs that came with the keyboard, such as Amazing Grace, Silent Night, Minuett by Bach, etc.

Thank you in advance for any advice you have for me. I was deeply touched by your bio, Andrew, and I'm praying for your full recovery and freedom from pain every day.

Thanks for reaching out to others.

Sincerely,

Esther

www.savekika.zebtoonz.com

Esther

Number of posts : 2
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

How to start teaching a child Empty Re: How to start teaching a child

Post by Thomandy Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:34 am

Well, as you say this is directed to Andrew so Im only gona say; Good Luck Smile Really hope it works out fine Very Happy
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Esther Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:51 am

Thanks, Thomas....but if you do have something to say, any advice at all would be welcomed!

Esther

Number of posts : 2
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:15 am

Esther wrote:Thanks, Thomas....but if you do have something to say, any advice at all would be welcomed!

Well, I started this year aswell, and I dont got any teachingexperience so ill leave the hard advice up to Andrew or anyone that feel they got something to say Smile

But, I got opinions though Wink hehe

I think that if she wants to, you should put some effort into getting a teacher. Especially since you dont know how to play the piano very well yourself - Beginner* Even parents with many years experience is adviced to turn over the teaching to professionals, or at least deacent teachers instead of misslearning the kids already from the start. There a lots of "traps" you can end up walking into if you take that responsibility yourself Smile

But I like your idea of not pushing here to practice Smile Im all for that!! Just encourage the interest she already got going..
Twinkle Twinkle is a nice beginner song for here to learn, and that is something you should start if you feel she is ready for it Smile

Well, I guess thats all I have to say at this point Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content