Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Few Q's, Please !!

3 posters

Go down

A Few Q's, Please !! Empty A Few Q's, Please !!

Post by Amro Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Hello Again, Very Happy

I got some Questions, Smile
& I hope that I'm not so annoying .. Evil or Very Mad

But I really Benefit from this forum alot .. cheers

Just wondering if :

* Should I practice the notes with both 2 hands or separately ? ( for the 1st time .. I mean Learning stage )

* Now if I played a piece in grade (say 4 or 5) Should I continue playing in the same grade or I have to upgrade my Level ? ( Not Perfect in the in the previous one )

* How many bars from the note should I play with two hands per Day ? ( in a Normal grade 3, 4, 5 )

* Should I practice scales for two Octaves or 1 is enough ?

Thanks alot ..
I'm So Happy . king . ( I Learnet How to Play Piano after 2 Years of unsuccessful trials )

( Today all my english words are Lost, they pop up in my head but I donnow how they're written ) scratch
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 340
Job/hobbies : Graphics, Internet & Piano
Length of time playing piano : 2 Years of Trying but seriously from 4 Mnths.
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

A Few Q's, Please !! Empty Re: A Few Q's, Please !!

Post by Thomandy Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:20 am

Amro wrote:Hello Again, Very Happy

I got some Questions, Smile
& I hope that I'm not so annoying .. Evil or Very Mad

But I really Benefit from this forum alot .. cheers

Just wondering if :

* Should I practice the notes with both 2 hands or separately ? ( for the 1st time .. I mean Learning stage )

* Now if I played a piece in grade (say 4 or 5) Should I continue playing in the same grade or I have to upgrade my Level ? ( Not Perfect in the in the previous one )

* How many bars from the note should I play with two hands per Day ? ( in a Normal grade 3, 4, 5 )

* Should I practice scales for two Octaves or 1 is enough ?

Thanks alot ..
I'm So Happy . king . ( I Learnet How to Play Piano after 2 Years of unsuccessful trials )

( Today all my english words are Lost, they pop up in my head but I donnow how they're written ) scratch

Hi. Ill make an attempt on Answering even though this is mainly directed to Andrew. Smile
I think you should practice the hands seperatly when you learn the note for the first time. I have always done so, if the piece isnt TO easy. But normally there are some challanges.

I change how I learn pieces. Sometimes I do it in sections, sometimes not. But my advice is. Learn some bars, Right Hand only first. Then learn the same bars, Left Hand. Then 3rd: Put them together, slow. Practice only as fast as you can in the beginning. More important to get the rythme and the feel at first, than pressing up the speed.

For grades and pieces. I think that this is very individual. Lets say you are good enough to play grade 4 pieces, then I would actually advice you to find a Grad 5 piece that you are really motivated to learn, and practice that. At the same time you can do other easyer pieces.. Smile This is of course what I do and might not be the professional advice. I have played for soon 8 months, but I think I got a thing or two right Smile

I think you should learn as much as You can. If you CAN learn 1 bar, then do that!! If you can learn 50 bars, then DO THAT Wink hehe What I am saying is that this is so individually how fast we learn new pieces and how difficult it is for us at this moment.

I can learn 100 bars of a grade 3-4-5 in maybe 1-2hours. Razz But I use double the time when its a 6-7-8. I have only tried one 8grader and I managed to learn 4 pages and put them together in 4 hours. But for some months ago I used 2-3 weeks to learn 10 - 20 bars. So what Im saying. If you CAN, then do it Smile If you loose motivation learning to much, then I say learn less!! Smile But test it, and find what is right for you. Sometimes you want to learn 3 bars, and sometimes you want to learn 10 Smile

Doing Octavetraining is a good thing. I did them for a while since I sucked at it in the beginning. But now after playing a couple of pieces with lots of octaves for both hands I feel I got them down very accurate with both hands, and has therefore stopped to practice it as much as I do. I still sometimes sit for 5min and jump octaves!!! Smile You can never get enough practice Smile So I say Learn scales in octaves to, and just try to jump from place to place. But try to decide for sure where you gona jump your octaves, and then press yourselfe to get it right! Razz Okay, that all for now. I think I got everything, and If Andrew disagrees I am sure He lets us know Very Happy hehe
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:06 am

Thomandy wrote:
Hi. Ill make an attempt on Answering even though this is mainly directed to Andrew. Smile
I think you should practice the hands seperatly when you learn the note for the first time. I have always done so, if the piece isnt TO easy. But normally there are some challanges.

I change how I learn pieces. Sometimes I do it in sections, sometimes not. But my advice is. Learn some bars, Right Hand only first. Then learn the same bars, Left Hand. Then 3rd: Put them together, slow. Practice only as fast as you can in the beginning. More important to get the rythme and the feel at first, than pressing up the speed.

For grades and pieces. I think that this is very individual. Lets say you are good enough to play grade 4 pieces, then I would actually advice you to find a Grad 5 piece that you are really motivated to learn, and practice that. At the same time you can do other easyer pieces.. Smile This is of course what I do and might not be the professional advice. I have played for soon 8 months, but I think I got a thing or two right Smile

I think you should learn as much as You can. If you CAN learn 1 bar, then do that!! If you can learn 50 bars, then DO THAT Wink hehe What I am saying is that this is so individually how fast we learn new pieces and how difficult it is for us at this moment.

I can learn 100 bars of a grade 3-4-5 in maybe 1-2hours. Razz But I use double the time when its a 6-7-8. I have only tried one 8grader and I managed to learn 4 pages and put them together in 4 hours. But for some months ago I used 2-3 weeks to learn 10 - 20 bars. So what Im saying. If you CAN, then do it Smile If you loose motivation learning to much, then I say learn less!! Smile But test it, and find what is right for you. Sometimes you want to learn 3 bars, and sometimes you want to learn 10 Smile

Doing Octavetraining is a good thing. I did them for a while since I sucked at it in the beginning. But now after playing a couple of pieces with lots of octaves for both hands I feel I got them down very accurate with both hands, and has therefore stopped to practice it as much as I do. I still sometimes sit for 5min and jump octaves!!! Smile You can never get enough practice Smile So I say Learn scales in octaves to, and just try to jump from place to place. But try to decide for sure where you gona jump your octaves, and then press yourselfe to get it right! Razz Okay, that all for now. I think I got everything, and If Andrew disagrees I am sure He lets us know Very Happy hehe

Hehe ... Razz
You are so Beautiful Thomas .. Wink

You Really Helped me alot ...
Everytime you give me an advice I feel that a 20 Years player is talking to me ..
I Really Hope to be Like you .. In this short time Smile

Now
I face a problem,
When Playing a piece, I play (say 1.1/5 Pages) but then I get bored from this piece & Jump for another one ..
Maybe Thats wrong .. scratch I donnow ..

The problem not in Playing the RH or LH, its in matching them together .. ( Thats why I asked if I have to play them seperatly or not)

Also I dont think that this is directed to Andrew especially .. (If he found anything wrong of course he will Reply .. But this is if he found lol! ) hehe Razz

Thanks, Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:07 pm

Good reply Thomas, I think you covered everything pretty well. The thing with octave practise I would add is to try and do chromatic octaves, and focus very intently on keeping your hand relaxed, take LOTS of breaks.

Smile take care guys!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:02 pm

Amro wrote:
Hehe ... Razz
You are so Beautiful Thomas .. Wink

You Really Helped me alot ...
Everytime you give me an advice I feel that a 20 Years player is talking to me ..
I Really Hope to be Like you .. In this short time Smile

Now
I face a problem,
When Playing a piece, I play (say 1.1/5 Pages) but then I get bored from this piece & Jump for another one ..
Maybe Thats wrong .. scratch I donnow ..

Tnx Smile

Well to that other thing.. I am a bit like that myselfe. Quiting pieces cause I get bored. If its the best thing to do, I dont know. I have hared Andrew say that he completes all of his started pieces. But no good answer from me on this one. I do it!! Razz
But I have gotten better at REALLY wanting to learn the piece before I start. If you just like it, it might be easyer to quit, but if you LOVE it and NEED it, then you will complete it. If not at the first attempt, you can get back to it. Smile

Amro wrote:

The problem not in Playing the RH or LH, its in matching them together .. ( Thats why I asked if I have to play them seperatly or not)

Yeah, for this question: I can tell you what I do, and that is the theoretically right thing to do... I think, hehe.. Smile

I learn the right hand. Only practicing that until I got it memorized. 3-4 bars ex. Then I learn the left hand for those same bars! Practicing that until I know them by hart. The next day, I put them together!!!! Smile You must put them together and practice that! And go sloooow, slooooooow, and sloooooooow Wink If you do it slow, the your brain Will understand exactly when the notes are to come. It automaticly gets faster, so dont push the speed Smile Now in the beginning and for some time, you cant get it up to speed right away. I might take many days and many hours. This is the reason many thinks pieces are way to hard and quit.. Cause they expect to get it right, right away. And when they dont get it, they give up. But I promise you that if you go slow, and the grade is at your level, then you will get the speed, and it will feel automatic after some hours of SlowPractice. Smile

In my maple leaf rag I started sooooo slow. But I always try to give the notes their true value. If I can do some notes faster and some slower I slow down the fast ones to match the slow ones, if you understand? So that the tempo and rhythm is correct when it goes faster Razz
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:11 pm

Thomandy wrote:
Tnx Smile

I'm Saying the Truth Very Happy

Thomandy wrote:
Well to that other thing.. I am a bit like that myselfe. Quiting pieces cause I get bored. If its the best thing to do, I dont know. I have hared Andrew say that he completes all of his started pieces. But no good answer from me on this one. I do it!! Razz
But I have gotten better at REALLY wanting to learn the piece before I start. If you just like it, it might be easyer to quit, but if you LOVE it and NEED it, then you will complete it. If not at the first attempt, you can get back to it. Smile

Yeah,

I Wanna concentrate on a piece & dont give up after I finish it ..
I'm more enthusiastic right Now !! ( I wanna Play Now .. It's 1:36 a.m btw .. My Parents are Sleeping & I Lost my Headphones Joint .. I have to Buy one )

Thomandy wrote:

Yeah, for this question: I can tell you what I do, and that is the theoretically right thing to do... I think, hehe.. Smile

I learn the right hand. Only practicing that until I got it memorized. 3-4 bars ex. Then I learn the left hand for those same bars! Practicing that until I know them by hart. The next day, I put them together!!!! Smile You must put them together and practice that! And go sloooow, slooooooow, and sloooooooow Wink If you do it slow, the your brain Will understand exactly when the notes are to come. It automaticly gets faster, so dont push the speed Smile Now in the beginning and for some time, you cant get it up to speed right away. I might take many days and many hours. This is the reason many thinks pieces are way to hard and quit.. Cause they expect to get it right, right away. And when they dont get it, they give up. But I promise you that if you go slow, and the grade is at your level, then you will get the speed, and it will feel automatic after some hours of SlowPractice. Smile

In my maple leaf rag I started sooooo slow. But I always try to give the notes their true value. If I can do some notes faster and some slower I slow down the fast ones to match the slow ones, if you understand? So that the tempo and rhythm is correct when it goes faster Razz

I'll try Playing Sloooowly, Sloooowly ..
It will take time, But I'll determine to it ...

I'm Really So happy Very Happy
Got alot of things in my Head .. Shocked

" The Best Felling you can get when you finish playing a whole piece right without any mistakes " Right ?!! affraid

Thanks Thomas for these Advices ... Like a Star @ heaven
They Really Helped me alot ... Like a Star @ heaven

THaNK$, Very Happy
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum