Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand positions and hello

5 posters

Go down

Hand positions and hello Empty Hand positions and hello

Post by Annie Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Hello Andrew and group. I started to learn keyboard three weeks ago and am totally hooked. I have had two lessons but they have stopped now until after the summer holidays and there is so much that I need to know. There are several things that confuse me (lots more than several really) and I would welcome any advice.

The first question is about hand position. I have also been learning clarinet for the last year and that (although certainly not an easy instrument) is at least pretty straight forward in that certain fingers play certain notes. Obviously we do not have enough fingers for that to work with a keyboard. Laughing There seems to be so many variations about which fingers play which notes so are there any rules about where your hands need to be or does it depend in which key you are playing?

I love your youtube videos Andrew, they are so straightforward and entertaining too. You have a real talent for teaching.

Thanks in anticipation
Annie

Annie

Female Number of posts : 2
Job/hobbies : Playing clarinet, painting and drawing and of course playing piano.
Length of time playing piano : 3 years
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Hand positions and hello Empty Re: Hand positions and hello

Post by Thomandy Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Hi Smile And Welcome Very Happy
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:57 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Your fingering and hand position depends on what key you're playing. You have 10 fingers all together, 5 on each hand.

C Major with your right hand would be:
Fingers: 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5
C Major with your left hand would be:
Fingers: 5 4 3 2 1 3 2 1

On your right hand your thumb is finger 1, your index finger is finger 2, middle finger is 3, fourth finger is 4, and your pinky is 5.

On your left hand, it's mirrored but exactly the same numbering. your thumb is finger 1, your index finger is finger 2, middle finger is 3, fourth finger is 4, and your pinky is 5.

Hand positions and hello LefthandHand positions and hello Righthand

Hope that helps.
Jordan
Jordan

Male Number of posts : 244
Job/hobbies : Music, piano
Length of time playing piano : I've been playing on and off since I was 8 years old
Registration date : 2008-02-23

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:11 pm

Thank you both for the warm welcome.

Jordan, thank you for taking the time to explain the finger numbers. I have got that straight in my head now. However I am still confused about the actual hand positions when playing a piece of music. Your hands obviously have to move the width of the keyboard to play all the notes. Looking at the "Technique section" on the forum I see that I am not the only one having difficulty with this. I am hoping it will all come with experience and practice.

Annie

Annie

Female Number of posts : 2
Job/hobbies : Playing clarinet, painting and drawing and of course playing piano.
Length of time playing piano : 3 years
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:08 pm

Well, I think it helps if you read sheets that got fingering now in the beginning. Then the hand positioning will slowly get better and you will more instinctlicly know how to move your hands Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffG Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:06 pm

Annie wrote: There seems to be so many variations about which fingers play which notes so are there any rules about where your hands need to be or does it depend in which key you are playing?

I've got the same question, and haven't found an answer yet.

Seems like I can teach my eyes to read. But then I need to know where my fingers are, to know what finger to press down.

If I teach my fingers a position, like pinky starting on C, that's fine for maybe 5 notes, or maybe extended to 8 notes, if using that move of planting the thumb and moving 2 fingers over it, followed by the thumb.

But what if a song has a bunch of notes beyond those 5? Not only is the finger dexterity a problem, but the more basic problem for a beginner like me is I don't know what keys my fingers are hovering over. So, to play an E, I don't know which finger to press down.

Trying to play "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" one handed is an example. Just talking about a beginner arrangement. There is a wide range of notes, and I'm not sure where the fingers are supposed to go.

And I'm not really just talking about that one song, but all song in general. Where do the fingers go?

If all song used the notes C,D,E,F,G then I could play them because my fingers would learn which finger belongs to which letter. But, evidently, piano isn't like that.

Help?

JeffG

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Lanxil Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:51 pm

well about that. I would say just practise it over and over trying to move your hands while playing and of course playing the right notes Very Happy in different pieces (of course you will have to look at the keys sometimes). After some time of practise you will do it automatically (meaning moving your hands and knowing which keys you are going to hit with the different fingers)
Very Happy
Lanxil
Lanxil
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 58
Job/hobbies : scholar
Length of time playing piano : got my piano ^^ happy~
Guru Points : 7
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down