Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whattayaknow! - and how do we know?

4 posters

Go down

Whattayaknow! - and how do we know? Empty Whattayaknow! - and how do we know?

Post by jytte Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:55 pm

All my life I've loved music, and been amazed at the wonderful tunes that people now and in the "old days" compose(d). I can understand imagining a story and then writing a book, seeing something beautiful and then painting it. But where does (new) music come from, I always wondered?

Well, now I know, sort of. A few times I've been just practicing and playing around on the piano, and suddenly I'm playing something I've never heard before, something new, well I'll be...... I think I actually composed something. Whattayaknow!

Only, how do I know? Is this really new? Ending a little piece I was having fun with, I realized that I recognized a few bars from another old song, as part of my little thing. Now this is an itsy bitsy little thing of 25 measures, we're not talking symphony here, but how much of it is something I've heard before but just don't recognize?

I know plenty of music, where you can hear (big chunks of) other pieces of music, whether intentional or not. Some composers freely "borrow" stuff here and there. That's fine, that's not what I'm talking about. But when someone truly feel they have something new created, is it always?

Oh, I was just wondering.

Last edited by jytte on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : weeding the worst typos)
jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 268
Length of time playing piano : Since July 2009 (Yamaha PSR E313) SHEET COLLECTION ON MY WEBSITE
Guru Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-19

http://www.piano.christrup.net

Back to top Go down

Whattayaknow! - and how do we know? Empty Re: Whattayaknow! - and how do we know?

Post by Liam19 Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:09 am

Hey, I find the same thing myself, there's times where I'm messing around on my keyboard and come across something that I think is pretty cool, I feel like I just discovered it but there's something on the back of my mind saying I've heard it before.

It could be a case of maybe we play something and like it because it could be similar to something we heard before, but not the exact same, so still new. I'm not entirely sure.

Well, new pieces may be wrote, and sound similar to something else, it might be inside inspirtation from stuff you like before. Also there had to be a time years ago when these pieces were completely new and orginal, because piano and stuff wasn't about forever, right?

At the same time, when you think of where new music comes from, it hurts your mind lol, because if you listen to Chopin or something, you say to yourself 'how the heck did he write that?' same with Bach's Toccata and Fugue, they're amazing.

But it's interesting. Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 49
Length of time playing piano : October 2007
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-08-27

Back to top Go down

Whattayaknow! - and how do we know? Empty Re: Whattayaknow! - and how do we know?

Post by jytte Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 am

Doesn't really belong in this post, but Liam, you're from Ireland, how about adding an Irish tune to our post here

traditional music from different countries

I know a few Irish songs, and they are beautiful, but I'm sure there are more Smile
jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Length of time playing piano : Since July 2009 (Yamaha PSR E313) SHEET COLLECTION ON MY WEBSITE

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam19 Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:50 pm

I'm sorry, even though I'm from Ireland I don't actually know any songs, which is weird Sad. I think the only one I know at the minute is Danny Boy, which I think was wrote close from where I live, same county. Smile There was this other song that I usually hear around Christmas, which I believe is Irish, but I haven't a clue what the name is, but if I do I'll make sure to post it. Sorry I couldn't post anything, but there is beautiful Irish pieces ot there. Smile
Liam19
Liam19
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 49
Length of time playing piano : October 2007
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Pitch Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Do what you feel is right and it will be unique. If you ever turn professional it will matter, but there will be people who aid you with that.

I don't know where you cross line, but if you create something your own, chances are that only some combination of notes might sound the same as in an other song. I don't know the rules. In my opinion they only apply when you intentionally copy parts of a song. If it evolves into your song it is, in my opinion, unique.

As long as you are an amateur don't bother with the question, I think it will only hamper your creative process. Worry about it when it's needed. And when it's needed you will be good enough to create something else. Just keep creating imo!

In my second song I heard something familiar. Only a short time ago I could place it. It sounds a bit like the verse in ' No Matter What' from Boyzone...I must admit I was dissapointed that I created something of which a bit of 8 notes or something sounds similar to something of Boyzone....I rather would have liked it sounded as Chopin or so Razz But that is wishfull thinking...

Last edited by Pitch on Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar and comma's)

Pitch
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 40
Job/hobbies : Piano, Didgeridoo, Djembé, Poolbilliards
Length of time playing piano : Keyboard: 18 years. Piano: just started
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by jytte Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Oh, I'm not in the least worried, I'm just having fun. I have no intention of ever being anywhere near a pro (even if I could), most I'll ever do is, if I happen to make something that I consider "mine", I'll have loads of fun playing it, and share it on my site so others can have fun too if they like it. Now that's not gonna bother anybody.

No, I was just wondering about the whole creation process, and how the mind sometimes plays little games with us (so we're not always as smart as we would like to think LOL) - and then the big question, where DO they get it from, the "big" guys, who write the music we all love and admire so much.
jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:07 am

You're music will always be a reflection of what you listen too, but that doesnt really matter does it? Because aslong as you dont copy several bars of another piece it's ok. There will always be a bar or two that will be the same as another song, even if you dont know about that song.

The thing is that when you have created a page or two with music, it's usually a new and uniqe song because of the tiny differences. Just look at all the 3 and 4 chords songs out there, in the old times you could play rock with only 3 chords, and todays pop usually consist of 4 chord, the I - V - VI -IV, with a C, G, A and F you can play almost any pop song you want ^_^

The thing is that tiny differences makes em all different. One sees the whole picture, not only the tiny corner.

Neil Zaza said in an interview that when he was composing music he never listened to music by others, that way his only inspiration was himself. I myself like to get inspiration, but I bet it would be cool to try composing something without inspiration from other artists.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum