Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm starting with playing piano, but my way is little strange :) What do you think?

+3
ZoologyGirl
VictorCS
Viccky88
7 posters

Go down

piano - I'm starting with playing piano, but my way is little strange :) What do you think?  Empty I'm starting with playing piano, but my way is little strange :) What do you think?

Post by Viccky88 Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Hey, I started a few days ago, but...
I don't know anything about notes, reading music, it's also the first time I play with my left hand, too. I always could play some pieces by my ear - I mean, hear some song and play it with my right hand, but that was all. I didn't learn it in a school way. Now I want that (not to be a concert pianist, it's too late for that, I'm 21 years old! but I want to learn to play songs that I like - and also because I have my own melodies in my head and i want to realise it. Etc.etc.)
The piont is - now I'm watching Andrew's videos and trying to learn theory and basic things, notes, etc., but at the same time I'm practising playing with left, then right hand, then both, but not with notes! I thought it was better to practise my hands with a melody that I know (now that's a "Clocks" by Coldplay), and when I get secure in playing with both hands, then start with notes.
Do you think it's stupid? pirat

Viccky88
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 13
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

piano - I'm starting with playing piano, but my way is little strange :) What do you think?  Empty Re: I'm starting with playing piano, but my way is little strange :) What do you think?

Post by VictorCS Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:07 pm

I think you should do both, learn how to read a sheet and also practice your relative pitch by playing by ear. That way you have a solid fundation, and that's very good to have if you wanna start composing music yourself.

Understanding how and why music works the way it works is a great benefit, and knowledge is power.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

piano - I'm starting with playing piano, but my way is little strange :) What do you think?  Empty Re: I'm starting with playing piano, but my way is little strange :) What do you think?

Post by Viccky88 Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:40 pm

Thanks. I think it's gonna be ok. I can play beginning of the song with right, also with left hand, now I'm trying with both in the same time, and it's a little hard, but I just started 3 days ago, it's normal, I guess.. But this song is very easy, i think... :S We'll se Smile

Viccky88
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ZoologyGirl Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:38 am

I agree with Victor, why not tackle both. I am not learning reading notes seperately from playing...but rather I am slowly learning both at once...starting with basics, learning basic pieces, and working my way up. Another good way to practice using both hands is to start learning the scales, learning them seperately on both hands, and then playing them both hands together in parallel movement (both hands going same direction), and then counter movement (hands move away and towards eachother with thumbs landing on same key). This has greatly improved my ability to play with both my hands at the same time, as well as a better understanding of music theory.
ZoologyGirl
ZoologyGirl
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Female Number of posts : 34
Job/hobbies : Reptile caretaker. Nature lover.
Length of time playing piano : June 2010
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelly Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:44 pm

The thing is, each person has their own personal way to do it. Of course you'll need music theory and such, but it doesn't mean you have to know all that by heart before starting to practice (even though I rather do it that way). All the information you need are on Andrew's videos, you'll sort it out your way as you learn.

Since you enjoy playing you're doing well. Wink
Kelly
Kelly
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 134
Job/hobbies : Student
Guru Points : 9
Registration date : 2010-09-05

https://www.facebook.com/tkellerz

Back to top Go down

Post by jytte Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:16 am

That sums it up, Kelly. As long as we enjoy playing, we're doing it right Very Happy
jytte
jytte
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 268
Length of time playing piano : Since July 2009 (Yamaha PSR E313) SHEET COLLECTION ON MY WEBSITE
Guru Points : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-19

http://www.piano.christrup.net

Back to top Go down

Post by rbacl Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:28 pm

As long as we enjoy playing, we're doing it right Very Happy
Right-- for example, imagine little Wolfgangus with Leopold nearby. Do you suppose Wolfie had anything less than 110% fun all the time?

rbacl
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 27
Length of time playing piano : a few years in childhood, now seeking to kindle
Registration date : 2010-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by wasim Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:46 pm

What I suggest that if you couldnt get someone to train you , buy a book that you see is simple which teches reading music and baisic piano techniques , and practice using the book at least 15 to 30 min a day

Remember practicing 15 min a day is way beter then 2 hours a week
While doing that watch 2 of lypur vids every week

Then when you feel you learned a little get a music sheet you like and try playing it.

Its just a mix of three things when you can't get a piano tutor :
1- Books
2- lypur vids
3-music sheets

And don't fir get to practice major/minor scales and cords

wasim
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 13
Length of time playing piano : 2 years
Registration date : 2010-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down