Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few questions about Andrew's video about how to learn a new song (lesson #11)

3 posters

Go down

A few questions about Andrew's video about how to learn a new song (lesson #11) Empty A few questions about Andrew's video about how to learn a new song (lesson #11)

Post by Rickard Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:47 pm

Basically it's the third time I'm watching lesson #11 in the new piano lesson series but I haven't really understood everything and I'm also wondering about a few things that Andrew didn't mention. I wish Andrew would answer those questions but I suppose he's still inactive on the forum but I guess at least some of you here are using his method.
So here are the questions:
1. When playing the notes in bar slowly should I use a metronome? Also if I make mistakes while playing the notes slow I shouldn't play at normal speed until I corrected the mistakes and can play the notes slow properly right?
2. Andrew mentioned in his video that the pattern when learning to play new songs is to play it: once slow, twice fast, once slow, twice fast and once slow, is that correct or have I misunderstood it? Ok, once you've played with this pattern (ofc including the memorizing which notes are played and mind play parts) for the left hand once and for the right hand once, is the next step to use the same pattern but now for both hands or should the pattern be repeated for hands seperate (left hand once again and right hand once again) and then move over to both hands?
3. In the video Andrew didn't mention anything about connecting the bars, for example if you know how to play each bar but only one bar at the time then what's the next step? Basically what's the best way of doing it? Is it to play two bars at the time using the the same pattern and then move on to the next two bars and the next two bars and so on or is it fine to just play those bars at the normal tempo a couple of times? And then play connect those groups of two bars into 4 bars and so on. Should I learn each bar in the piece before connecting the bars at all or should I focus on just learning for example the bars on a half page and then connect them before I move on to the second half of the page for example? How do you guys and gilrs do? I know it's simple questions but I want to be sure I'm doing it right instead of once again learning the wrong way.
Also I noticed it takes for me long time to learn a few bars and I think it's because I'm not focusing enough and also it's hard to do the mind play thing (which I suppose will be easier to do as I progress).

Sorry for this long thread. I hope to get some things cleared up.

Rickard
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Number of posts : 146
Guru Points : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

A few questions about Andrew's video about how to learn a new song (lesson #11) Empty Re: A few questions about Andrew's video about how to learn a new song (lesson #11)

Post by Alistair123 Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 pm

1. Its totally up to you if you want to use a metrononome. If you make mistakes then yes, just play a little slower until you get it right (then speed up).

2. When you think you have it down with hands seperate, just put them together at any speed you like. Id recommend going very slow over and over again, and gradually building speed.

3. I think you worry to much! :p Just experiment with what works. Learn't the first two bars? Then play them together from start to finish etc... Your not going to screw up your techinique if you do something wrong. It takes me along time to learn anything new as well, just keep it at, it gets easier.
Alistair123
Alistair123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 131
Job/hobbies : Movies&Music!! Wildlife
Length of time playing piano : 09-July
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

A few questions about Andrew's video about how to learn a new song (lesson #11) Empty Re: A few questions about Andrew's video about how to learn a new song (lesson #11)

Post by VictorCS Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:31 pm

It will take more pracitse than you think, because even if it's easy to play it's not. Practised pianists make it look very easy, that's how it is with everything I guess.

But after a while you'll memorize stuff faster. I remember I struggled with playing with two hands, but know it goes very easy, I still use a good amount of time to memorize. Practice, practice, practice is the key.

Even with good guidelines, the one Andrew gives, it'll still be hard, but it'll be easier than without them.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down