Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to play extended chords (11,13) with two hands?

2 posters

Go down

hands - How to play extended chords (11,13) with two hands? Empty How to play extended chords (11,13) with two hands?

Post by axxe Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:36 am

Hi, everybody...This is my first post...

I am trying to figure out how to play 11th and 13th chords ( +maj/min ). I know how to form them, but was wondering how to divide the chord between my hands. Like the root in the right ( and maybe another note too? ) and the rest of the notes in my right hand? So how do normally play these chords and can you recommend a way of playing them?

I would greatly appreciate your insight on this...

Thanks.. Very Happy Very Happy

axxe
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 10
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Back to top Go down

hands - How to play extended chords (11,13) with two hands? Empty Re: How to play extended chords (11,13) with two hands?

Post by axxe Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:26 pm

Cmon, guys....Was the question really that stupid? Does the 11 maj/min even exist? Because In my chordbooks I can only seem to find 11 chords (dominant), but I know they exist. And some places I see that people tend to take out certain notes of the 13 chords; Doesnt a 13th maj chord contain notes 1,3,5,7,9,11,13 of the scale?

Im a bit confused...Can someone please shed some light on this? Ive searched the net all week, without any answer..

Again, I would really appreciate your knowledge.

axxe
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

hands - How to play extended chords (11,13) with two hands? Empty Re: How to play extended chords (11,13) with two hands?

Post by Matthieu Stepec Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:27 pm

Hello!

Your question is hard to answer. It depends on the style you're playing in. I guess it is Jazz here!
Jazz pianists usually tend to reduce a lot the notes they play (they usually don't play the roots because the bass player already does it... but if you play alone you need them as in stride piano). In a chord with lots of dissonances, you will only play notes that are characteristic for the particular chord: usually 3, 7, 11, 13. You can add 1 and 5 on the left hand if you want to.
Then you simply have to choose the order you need to make the chord comfortable: for example C major #11 could be played: C G (left) and E F# Bb (right) or C G (left) and F# Bb E (right) etc. or even E Bb (left) D F# (right) (this last solution will only work if you don't need the root note: if playing in a combo or if playing fast modulations).
Matthieu Stepec
Matthieu Stepec
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Male Number of posts : 204
Job/hobbies : Fencing, Table Tennis
Length of time playing piano : About 15 years
Guru Points : 25
Registration date : 2009-09-08

https://www.youtube.com/matthieustepec

Back to top Go down

Post by axxe Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Thank you...Ok....So guess I have to find my own little way of playing the chord - the way that works best for me...

Thanks again...these extended chords sound so cool...its just hard to know when to use them..

axxe
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down