Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Different ways of playing chords on piano?

4 posters

Go down

chords - Different ways of playing chords on piano? Empty Different ways of playing chords on piano?

Post by greatman05 Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:08 am

My question is the title. However, what I mean is that I want to know the different ways you can articulate a chord besides arpeggiating and block chords. I see and hear people who play piano chords in really interesting ways, and I want to learn how they do that. Thanks for any insight you can provide! Smile

greatman05
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 19
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Back to top Go down

chords - Different ways of playing chords on piano? Empty Re: Different ways of playing chords on piano?

Post by Matthieu Stepec Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:32 am

Maybe what you mean is the way to play chords by stressing single notes within it, in order to change their general sound... To control this, you need to play chords with your fingertips (don't use your arms to press the keys) and try to feel each note in it. By developing this ability you should attain a wider spectrum of possible sounds.
Of course, as for all technique (especially regarding sound control), this works only on an acoustic piano...
Matthieu Stepec
Matthieu Stepec
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Male Number of posts : 204
Job/hobbies : Fencing, Table Tennis
Length of time playing piano : About 15 years
Guru Points : 25
Registration date : 2009-09-08

https://www.youtube.com/matthieustepec

Back to top Go down

chords - Different ways of playing chords on piano? Empty Hello there

Post by majesticglaze Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:02 am

Hi there friend,

Hello, here's my video on youtube: I used mostly all chords in there and I hope it helps you by watching it... You will know what the other guy is trying to tell you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBCuaTbVoVk

majesticglaze
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-13

Back to top Go down

chords - Different ways of playing chords on piano? Empty Re: Different ways of playing chords on piano?

Post by Matthieu Stepec Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:16 am

Hello!

I don't know if you meant that your video was going to show what I was trying to explain... It's not, obviously.
Nice playing, though! I agree with the comment you've got on youtube: you need a pedal; but I'd add that maybe you should try to make it more legato with your fingers already: it's a good exercise.
This means that, although your chords progressions are nice, you should think of playing them in a more "narrow" way (i.e. less than an octave) and try to bind everything with your fingers.

Good job.
Matthieu Stepec
Matthieu Stepec
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticglaze Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:43 am

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your advice and comment. Smile But I do have a question though, when you said play it in a narrow way what do you mean by that? What do you mean by playing it in less octave? Thanks Smile

majesticglaze
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthieu Stepec Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:35 am

What I meant was to keep your chords narrower than an octave, to reduce movents. For example if you play a F#7 chord, try to play only A# C# E in the right hand, with F# in the bass (left hand). That's just an example of course; what I mean is that you could reduce your movements a lot, arpeggiate less (or if you arpeggiate your chords, use it to play the upper voice legato by holding it.) and achieve a better legato overall without a sustain pedal.
Matthieu Stepec
Matthieu Stepec
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

chords - Different ways of playing chords on piano? Empty Different ways of playing chords on piano?

Post by yokewong Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:46 pm

greatman05 wrote:My question is the title. However, what I mean is that I want to know the different ways you can articulate a chord besides arpeggiating and block chords. I see and hear people who play piano chords in really interesting ways, and I want to learn how they do that. Thanks for any insight you can provide! Smile

There are many different ways of playing chords on the piano. The basic ones are triads and their inversions. For example, you can play a C triad. C/E/G or 1st inversion E/G/C or 2nd inversion G/C/E. You can add “color” to the triads by adding another note. In order to do this, you will have to understand scales, intervals and harmony. For example, you can build 7th on all the chords. If you are playing the C major triad, you can add “color” by playing C major 7th, or C dom 7 (which is a flat 7). Besides the 7th, you can add different notes to get the “color” that you are looking for. For example, C major 9 or C 69, C13, etc.

Another thing to do is to omit certain notes, like the 5th. You can always just play a C and E instead of the full triad, C/E/G.

You can also try comping different rhythmic patterns, or half arpeggios and then block chords. Using different bass patterns in your left hand can also help give you a different feel.

Sincerely,
Yoke Wong
Take Your Piano Playing To The Next Level
http://www.pianomother.com

yokewong
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-07-19

http://www.pianomother.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down