Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you recommend as my first protable digital piano?

+4
L4keoFire
pathetic_pianist
Ahmed_Kamal
8 posters

Go down

piano - What do you recommend as my first protable digital piano? Empty What do you recommend as my first protable digital piano?

Post by Ahmed_Kamal Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:19 pm

Hey, Andrew
I just wanna thank you for your free lessons. They have really been great for me. I've tried other paid online courses and they're not as good as you at all. You have the best course i've seen so far and it's free. so thank you now i have never had a piano, keyboard or digital piano and i've seen your video about the difference between then and i've come to the decision of getting a digital piano. what do you recommend as my first one? and it would be better if it doesn't cost more than $2000. one more thing I want it portable. thanks a lot again Smile

Ahmed_Kamal

Number of posts : 1
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-01-14

Back to top Go down

piano - What do you recommend as my first protable digital piano? Empty Re: What do you recommend as my first protable digital piano?

Post by pathetic_pianist Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 am

For a portable dp, I guess yamaha p140 is not a bad choice.

pathetic_pianist
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 29
Job/hobbies : reading, playing piano, travel
Length of time playing piano : 5 months
Registration date : 2009-05-28

Back to top Go down

piano - What do you recommend as my first protable digital piano? Empty Re: What do you recommend as my first protable digital piano?

Post by L4keoFire Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:12 pm

Uhm hi, I'm a newbie and got a similar question... if anyone can answer it, I'd like to know, I've been only playing for about 1 week and I heard from somebody that if I was going to start learning, it would be better if I used a real piano, the big one (which actually I'd really love to have). But I already have a digital one that was given to me by my cousin. It's a Yamaha PSR 175 with a lot of functions, really useful. The thing is that when you press the notes is super different than a real piano, so what do you suggest?

Is it better to learn in a digital one or in a real piano? For skill, finger strenght, my wrist health... what could be better? Thnx.
L4keoFire
L4keoFire
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by 1748 Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:23 am

from my experience of touching keyboard..digital piano and real piano are
if keyboard off cource we know dont have touch respon
digital and real piano some modern digital is almost same but what matter same it will a bit diffrent from real piano from touch respon
real piano is more hard to press so if you buy digital piano try to buy their tuts is harder
==
my syggestion of buying piano is
1.grand piano (sound and tuts Great)
2.upright piano (tuts great sound a bit diffrent from grand piano)
3 digital piano ( better than keyboard )
4.keyboard (worse but OK for practise )

my afford for me is now in keyboard in course is upright piano if i have money i will buy grand piano or upright piano for minimum....
all is back from your condition..dont force your parent too much ^^

Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 57
Job/hobbies : Daniel ASIA INDONESIA
Length of time playing piano : augst 2009
Registration date : 2009-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair123 Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:55 pm

Learning to play on a digital piano isn't going to stop you from becoming any good in the future. A keyboard might, but digital piano's are a really good choice for seeing how far you want to take it. Obviously a real piano would be better, but diggies are fine Smile

All the same, i'd love a real piano my self, and if i had the money lying about, i'd buy one Very Happy
Alistair123
Alistair123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 131
Job/hobbies : Movies&Music!! Wildlife
Length of time playing piano : 09-July
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by michaelwiller Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:27 pm

i just bought a Korg SP 250. To me it was a choice between that one, the Yamaha P85 and the Korg SP 170.

I'm a beginner too, but I did quite a bit of research on the net about Digital Pianos. The trick is to find one with a good keyboard action. Preferably one with graded hammer action keyboard. This kind of keyboard is very close to the action of a piano keyboard so you'll be learning the "right" finger action.

Just my two cents.

michaelwiller

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-04-24

Back to top Go down

Post by ionas Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:16 pm

If you want something "digital" get a Midi-MasterKeyboard with good action, digital pianos are just expensive and the action can be worse, while the "sound quality" is soon to be outdated...

If have you have much space in your room and not that much money just try to look for used "real" pianos, won't get much better than that.

For the "digital" option: I like my Fatar Studio 1100, it was cheap... I'd get (Bucks = Euros, sorry):
- A used Kawai MP 9000 / MP 9500 / MP 8, Doepfer LMK 2/4+, Yamaha KX88, Fatar Studio - There are flight cases for any of them if you need them to be portable. Used they are around 500-800 for the Kawais, 300-600 for the Doepfers, 200-300 for the KX88 and 100-500 for the Fatars.
- Any recent Intel Macbook (with 4GiB RAM, can be non-Apple RAM) (Like 800-2000 Bucks, whatever you want to spend)
- Native Instruments Kontakt 4 (Midi/Sampler) (like 200 Bucks)
- Native Instruments Alicias Keys (Piano Library) (like 100 Bucks)
- 2 Pedals (50 Bucks) if not bundled

You should have a good Stereo speaker system already, good headphones do it too. The Kawais are "real" stage pianos having their own samples and speakers, so you won't need anything besides the Kawai Piano (but you can attach everything described above, even play other and great sample libraries).

Your benefit: You can use recent sample libraries and do not need to re-buy a good action keyboard all the time. I have to admit that my moms very old and average upright feels and sounds "better" than the best samples I have heard, its just more authentic to play (if you compose with software you might get similar results but if you play at the instrument it feels a lot better at a "real" piano).

p.s.: If you buy a Kawai MP 9000/9500/8 you won't need anything besides that. If I have had more than 150 Bucks I'd have gone for one of those.

ionas
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 16
Job/hobbies : Student / Web-Dev
Length of time playing piano : Since mid 2010
Registration date : 2010-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:13 am

Well if Ahmed_Kamal wants a portable piano an acoustic, let alone a grand, is out of the question. Besides you can't plug headphones into a regular piano to avoid disturbing neighbors or inmates.

Not that I don't agree with you guys that nothing beats an acoustic piano, that's true. Just that the overall issue is a question of pros and cons.

In addition you have to tune a regular piano, how often twice a year at least? You might have to move the thing. Both of those cost a lot of money.

Which brand, I'm not so sure since I don't know a lot of digitals. Yamaha P140 is probably very good, according to some YouTube videos. Personally I like the Yamaha digital piano sound. Casio Privias usually sound fine with well weighted keys and some say too weighted. But I've read Casio keys are of poor quality, develop gaps between them, get loose quickly and make thumping noise when pressed.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Number of posts : 154
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down