Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many hours!!!

+3
Hero
Circle_of_Fists
Alistair123
7 posters

Go down

How many hours!!! Empty How many hours!!!

Post by Alistair123 Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Dose anybody here practise for about 3+ hours a day (With breaks of course)? I was woundering how long you practise certain exercieses and pieces for? Also how do you keep it up for that length of time, you must have a big ultimate goal for that sort of dedication. I'd love to be able to practise for that long a day, but I find I run out of exercieses, and can't bring my self to repeate the same ones over and over and over again.
Alistair123
Alistair123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 131
Job/hobbies : Movies&Music!! Wildlife
Length of time playing piano : 09-July
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

How many hours!!! Empty Re: How many hours!!!

Post by Circle_of_Fists Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:48 am

If you have the time, but are running out of things to play, may I suggest learning a new piece?

Or, if you're feeling especially dangerous, tackle a bigger piece that is just outside of your range a little bit every day? You might be surprised at the length of time it takes to become within your range, even if only playing at a slow tempo (perhaps not as long as you think.)

As for myself, I get in usually about 1 hour of playing time in each day (not including breaks, like this one Smile ). Any more than that and I would probably find my keyboard laying in the street and I would have to start sleeping in my car. Razz
Circle_of_Fists
Circle_of_Fists
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 292
Job/hobbies : I needed a new hobby so piano it is!
Length of time playing piano : since June 09
Guru Points : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:39 am

I play every time i have access to a piano, any time i'm at my girlfriends house she has the piano in her living room i litterally start twictching till i can play it Very Happy

Hero
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 14
Job/hobbies : Piano/keyboard is my hobby - and soon to be my job, hopefully (crossing fingers)
Length of time playing piano : 11 years
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by juliekaye Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:19 am

I play easily a couple hours each evening and usually only quit when my wrists and back begin to ache. lol I don't know how long this dedication will last but I'm making up for lost time as I've been without a piano for like 15 years so right now I never want to stop and usually have to make myself! Smile

My current goal is to learn and play Chopin's Nocturne Op 9 No 2. This is the one piece that has stuck. I've got about 3 others I've started in the past month or so but got tired of and barely made it past the first page. This one is just difficult enough I guess to keep me wanting to master it no matter what it takes so I've gotten a bit obsessed. I lose all track of time when I'm practicing this one.

juliekaye
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Female Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul_Prince77 Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:23 am

wow u guess im really weird some days i can play 14 hours on piano no joke besides some food breaks..... i can play one song for hours just trying to feel out the emotion right... i average probly 2 hours a day besides my weird days and that just piano... usually its just 2 on piano cause then ill move to a diff instrument ha ha.. and im a full time student What a Face
Soul_Prince77
Soul_Prince77
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 44
Job/hobbies : i play any instrument i can get mah hands on
Length of time playing piano : 6 years
Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair123 Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Ahh mann :p I wish I could do all that. I think I will be able to eventually. I think that main problem is my diggy piano actually. Its total rubbish. One of the B's wobbles and makes an annoying sound when you press it, and about a week ago, the B one octave up has started doing the same thing!! AND every now and again, the sound of a key will just cut out when you hold down a note, even with the pedal actually. Its a Casio, Privia PX-730, so id warn people off that one Neutral

I see were Matthieu is coming from now, real piano's for the win!!!
Alistair123
Alistair123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by juliekaye Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:50 pm

I have a Casio Privia PX-120. I hope mine doesn't start to do that!! I did buy the extended warranty (4 years I think) so if it does, hopefully I'm covered.

I would give anything to have my acoustic piano instead but living on the 3rd floor in an apartment, this is the best I can get for now. I'm so tired though of wearing those damn headphones! haha

So my mom has it for now until I have a house one day.

juliekaye
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair123 Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Yeah, mine is too, ill give them a ring at one point, get it fixed:p
Alistair123
Alistair123
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 am

juliekaye wrote:I play easily a couple hours each evening and usually only quit when my wrists and back begin to ache. lol I don't know how long this dedication will last but I'm making up for lost time as I've been without a piano for like 15 years so right now I never want to stop and usually have to make myself! Smile

My current goal is to learn and play Chopin's Nocturne Op 9 No 2. This is the one piece that has stuck. I've got about 3 others I've started in the past month or so but got tired of and barely made it past the first page. This one is just difficult enough I guess to keep me wanting to master it no matter what it takes so I've gotten a bit obsessed. I lose all track of time when I'm practicing this one.

I envy you lol I never have a day where I have nothing to do Sad

Hero
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 14
Job/hobbies : Piano/keyboard is my hobby - and soon to be my job, hopefully (crossing fingers)
Length of time playing piano : 11 years
Registration date : 2009-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post by juliekaye Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:28 am

Oh I have lots of things I should be doing. Piano just has been winning lately. *g*

juliekaye
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Matthieu Stepec Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:34 am

Oh, julie, you're german? Wink

People, about how much to practice: you shouldn't be practicing more than your concentration allows. When practicing something, be fully concentrated on it, listen to yourself carefully and seek for results! Even if you can't hold more than 5 minutes! When you feel that the concentration is getting low, take a small break and try again (or play another exercise)...
My daily routine is about 4 hours. I used to play up to 9 hours a day in 2006, but now I realize that 4 is just fine for me.
Matthieu Stepec
Matthieu Stepec
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Male Number of posts : 204
Job/hobbies : Fencing, Table Tennis
Length of time playing piano : About 15 years
Guru Points : 25
Registration date : 2009-09-08

https://www.youtube.com/matthieustepec

Back to top Go down

Post by 1748 Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:25 pm

my opinion is every u have time you can play it what ever you wanna play until boring or until your finger got tired
some fingering piece i can memorized it the form until 3 days
if still cant press what should press play it slow tempo dont be shy even the tempo is 30-50...80-100 if success play it 120mbps...
if you ask the fix time its depend every individual people
if you ask me i can do it 24hour if i wanted because i have nothing to do in my life (poor me TT) ^^

Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Male Number of posts : 57
Job/hobbies : Daniel ASIA INDONESIA
Length of time playing piano : augst 2009
Registration date : 2009-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down