Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by pianohama on Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:58 pm

Yup yup! I have seen some nay-sayers about Improvisation on this forum, so today, I have decided to show them the power of being able to improvise.

I have picked out a very known piece(i think) Pachabels Canon in D, I have never played this piece before, only heard it a few times, so everything I play is on the fly, which means I played it directly after hearing it and I've never played it before. I got the chord progression and I'm gonna play my own interpretion of it in C Major Smile Hope you enjoy

I kind of messed up the video angle... And it can sound a bit mushy sometimes, and I'm not holding down the damper pedal to much, it's just that I had high volume on and the camera was too close to the speaker.. Very Happy But I guess it will do, I don't want to do a retake because then I'd have played it twice, and that's not an improvisation in my opinion Smile It's cheating! Razz


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxSSBPGEv9w


Last edited by pianohama on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by maggiekedves on Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:00 pm

pianohama wrote:Yup yup! I have seen some nay-sayers about Improvisation on this forum, so today, I have decided to show them the power of being able to improvise.

I have picked out a very known piece(i think) Pachabels Canon in D, I have never played this piece before, only heard it a few times, so everything I play is on the fly. I got the chord progression and I'm gonna play my own interpretion of it in C Major Smile Video is on it's way! Hope you enjoy

Fun fun, cant wait to see cheers
avatar
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Age : 117
Location : Salt Lake City
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by maggiekedves on Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:02 pm

pianohama wrote:
I kind of messed up the video angle... And it can sound a bit mushy sometimes, and I'm not holding down the damper pedal to much, it's just that I had high volume on and the camera was too close to the speaker.. Very Happy But I guess it will do, I don't want to do a retake because then I'd have played it twice, and that's not an improvisation in my opinion Smile It's cheating! Razz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxSSBPGEv9w

Yeah too bad I cant see what you were doing, but it sounded real fresh Smile
I agree something practiced is not a real improvization but everyone needs to start somewhere
alien
avatar
maggiekedves
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Female Number of posts : 603
Age : 117
Location : Salt Lake City
Job/hobbies : SLCC student - Nursing ////// music is like air
Length of time playing piano : 10 months ( time is running :) )
Guru Points : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-06

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/maggiekedves

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by Admin Andrew on Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:04 pm

The old off topic material has been split to another topic.

Pianohama can post his improvisation here once, then in the future I'd like him to create a single topic for all his performances to be located in. ^_^ thanks!

_________________
"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other's cannot keep it from themselves."


Take care,

Andrew Furmanczyk :: http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca :: http://ca.youtube.com/user/lypur
avatar
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Age : 30
Location : Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

View user profile http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by Admin Andrew on Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:06 pm

Now, about your video, it sounds great! very nice Smile I enjoyed listening to it!

_________________
"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other's cannot keep it from themselves."


Take care,

Andrew Furmanczyk :: http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca :: http://ca.youtube.com/user/lypur
avatar
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Age : 30
Location : Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

View user profile http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by Thomandy on Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:27 pm

Yes, its very impressing that you do what you do on the piano without practice, and just after listnening to it Smile Very, very good Very Happy
You got some real tallent with the improv. Smile Keep it up!


pianohama wrote: But I guess it will do, I don't want to do a retake because then I'd have played it twice, and that's not an improvisation in my opinion Smile It's cheating! Razz

If you had played it once more, it would have sounded completly different i think... You cant really remember spoton improv corectly anyways, unless its rewhersed. So you could actually improv again, since it would sound like two different songs Smile
avatar
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 32
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by VictorCS on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:06 pm

I loved those pieces who sounded quite jazzy/bluesy, reminded me more of the LOTR soundtrack at those parts, but I could clearly hear it was Canon.

Great improv, reminds me that I should practise Canon Rock so I can play it 100%,
not to many who have uploaded a video of Canon Rock played on a piano on youtube.
avatar
VictorCS
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 944
Location : Norway
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by CripKilla on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:28 pm

Nively played
avatar
CripKilla
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 423
Location : Hyrule Field
Job/hobbies : Bank Robber
Length of time playing piano : Since Huamn Existence
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by pianohama on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:09 pm

Yes Smile This was to prove that with improvisation, you can accomplish anything you'd like in music Smile
avatar
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by g0tfish on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:19 am

wow amazing.. !! and first time played by hearing? WOW!
avatar
g0tfish
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Female Number of posts : 30
Job/hobbies : Currently unemployed, Car/mechanic, piano, sleeping and eating
Length of time playing piano : owned a keyboard since little with no experience until now
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by Casyopea on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:30 pm

Waaaaaoh!!! Pachelbel got jazzy at 1:40!!! Cool Great job!
avatar
Casyopea
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Female Number of posts : 102
Location : Spain
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://es.youtube.com/user/casyopea1977

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by pianohama on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:50 pm

Casyopea wrote:Waaaaaoh!!! Pachelbel got jazzy at 1:40!!! Cool Great job!

Haha yeah, I played it in the wrong scale with purpose btw Razz i wanted some dissonance
avatar
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by Thomandy on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:59 pm

pianohama wrote:
Casyopea wrote:Waaaaaoh!!! Pachelbel got jazzy at 1:40!!! Cool Great job!

Haha yeah, I played it in the wrong scale with purpose btw Razz i wanted some dissonance

It also very populare in C =)
avatar
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 32
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by pianohama on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:10 pm

thomandy wrote:
pianohama wrote:
Casyopea wrote:Waaaaaoh!!! Pachelbel got jazzy at 1:40!!! Cool Great job!

Haha yeah, I played it in the wrong scale with purpose btw Razz i wanted some dissonance

It also very populare in C =)

Haha, no you missunderstood Smile The jazzy parts of the piece, I played the wrong blues scale so it wasn't in harmony with the chords ^^ but I tried harmonizing as much as I could anyway by timing some of the keys that fits with the chord
avatar
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by Thomandy on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:42 pm

pianohama wrote:
thomandy wrote:
pianohama wrote:
Casyopea wrote:Waaaaaoh!!! Pachelbel got jazzy at 1:40!!! Cool Great job!

Haha yeah, I played it in the wrong scale with purpose btw Razz i wanted some dissonance

It also very populare in C =)

Haha, no you missunderstood Smile The jazzy parts of the piece, I played the wrong blues scale so it wasn't in harmony with the chords ^^ but I tried harmonizing as much as I could anyway by timing some of the keys that fits with the chord
'

Aaaaah Very Happy Now I see Razz You got much more knowledge conserning theory than me, Im just C- scale, yeah I know that one Wink Haha, and youre going on about dissonance and harmony and all cinds of stuff Smile
avatar
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 32
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by pianohama on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:50 pm

hehe, well you can learn my tutorial, I will eventually explain all that stuff ;D
avatar
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by Phobik2000 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:38 pm

It was nice Sleep
avatar
Phobik2000
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 150
Location : Uk
Job/hobbies : IT
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-03-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by pianohama on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Phobik2000 wrote:It was nice Sleep


w00t Very Happy was it that boring? haha
avatar
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by Admin Andrew on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:09 pm

pianohama wrote:hehe, well you can learn my tutorial, I will eventually explain all that stuff ;D

I'm excited to watch your tutorial, partly to see you talk, and also to hear how you view what you're doing/get inside your mind Smile

_________________
"Those who bring sunshine to the lives of other's cannot keep it from themselves."


Take care,

Andrew Furmanczyk :: http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca :: http://ca.youtube.com/user/lypur
avatar
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Age : 30
Location : Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

View user profile http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by pianohama on Thu May 01, 2008 10:01 am

Admin Andrew wrote:
pianohama wrote:hehe, well you can learn my tutorial, I will eventually explain all that stuff ;D

I'm excited to watch your tutorial, partly to see you talk, and also to hear how you view what you're doing/get inside your mind Smile

Hehe, you missunderstand andrew =) I won't be doing a vid tutorial, guess im to shy to talk on the camera. I got my tutorial on general piano discussion you know?
avatar
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by Phobik2000 on Mon May 05, 2008 1:22 am

pianohama wrote:
Phobik2000 wrote:It was nice Sleep


w00t Very Happy was it that boring? haha

Hum, actually no, it was I who ws uber tired (like I am now, got a soar throat Mad )
Sorry I wasn't clear Idea
avatar
Phobik2000
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 150
Location : Uk
Job/hobbies : IT
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-03-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by pianohama on Tue May 13, 2008 10:55 pm

thomandy wrote:Yes, its very impressing that you do what you do on the piano without practice, and just after listnening to it Smile Very, very good Very Happy
You got some real tallent with the improv. Smile Keep it up!


pianohama wrote: But I guess it will do, I don't want to do a retake because then I'd have played it twice, and that's not an improvisation in my opinion Smile It's cheating! Razz

If you had played it once more, it would have sounded completly different i think... You cant really remember spoton improv corectly anyways, unless its rewhersed. So you could actually improv again, since it would sound like two different songs Smile

That's what's so magic about improvisation, you barely ever play the same thing twice Wink
avatar
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by Thomandy on Tue May 13, 2008 11:29 pm

YUP =) And you are soon a master of improv if you continue this speed =) I read also that one needs to rewherse improvisation. In older ages they usually battled in improv, fex of a tune that was hummed or wistled from the audience or plaine scales. And it was said that mozart and these componists used alot of time practicing different improvteqnices within the different scales and systems. So when you get really really good, you probable can improvise the same thing intentionally Very Happy And, of course if you dont thnk that is real improvisation, then you got the skills to avoid it =)
avatar
Thomandy
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 2616
Age : 32
Location : Norway
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by VictorCS on Tue May 13, 2008 11:41 pm

What's sad about improvs are that you suddenly can make this beautiful set of keys that you really would've loved to have written down,
but it was just playd on the fly, and you didnt really think of what keys you hit.
avatar
VictorCS
Moderator
Moderator

Male Number of posts : 944
Location : Norway
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by pianohama on Wed May 14, 2008 12:00 am

VictorCS wrote:What's sad about improvs are that you suddenly can make this beautiful set of keys that you really would've loved to have written down,
but it was just playd on the fly, and you didnt really think of what keys you hit.

aw man dont get me started on that.. that's why i started recording what i play Razz
avatar
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The power of Improvisation!(with video now, lol)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum