Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beginner: Would like some tips on starting the Piano

3 posters

Go down

beginner - Beginner: Would like some tips on starting the Piano Empty Beginner: Would like some tips on starting the Piano

Post by melvinhardin Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:19 am

Ok, I have never played the piano before and I would like to start now, I saw a bunch of andrews video's but there is not really a guideline in it that sais how to make your own practise lessons. I have played Violin in the past and can read notes.

So basicly this is what I was thinking:

1. Start with the finger training stuff (I think they were called scales)
2. Practice a part of a chosen song
3. Play the song with evrything you have learned so far

Does this look good as a self teaching program? Should I add any stuff into it? And how long should I practice for the scale thing?

Also I would like some tips on what songs I should choose for starter. Some less difficult classical pieces or something. Because at the moment all what I have is Beethoven Pathetique Sonata - 2nd mov and I think that piece is a bit too hard.

melvinhardin

Number of posts : 2
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Back to top Go down

beginner - Beginner: Would like some tips on starting the Piano Empty Re: Beginner: Would like some tips on starting the Piano

Post by cheesesandwitchs Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:32 am

yea i think it will be to hard man have a look around the forum and you'll find some links to sheet music sites andrew also made a list of recomended pieces you should check out. im a father of two so i practice when ever i get the chance but you should try to practice every/most days for good results . and remember have fun and practice practice practice Smile
cheesesandwitchs
cheesesandwitchs
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 36
Job/hobbies : engineer/piano/motorbikes/golf/gardening
Length of time playing piano : 2 years on-off
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://www.youtube.com/user/cheesesandwitchs

Back to top Go down

beginner - Beginner: Would like some tips on starting the Piano Empty Re: Beginner: Would like some tips on starting the Piano

Post by jis Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:34 am

Hej Melvin,

Welcome to the forum!
It is good that you played the violin, it makes it easier to learn to play the piano, although I think you might have to learn the bass clef (?)
Start with scales, but also some scale-exercises(Hanon for instance). It is a smart thing to play these, particularly because of the fingering. I think 10-15 minutes will be ok.
Do have a look on the list Cheesesandsandwitch mentioned.
And check out this page. It has a lot of downloadable beginners-pieces by grade. www.gmajormusictheory.org
I liked the ecossaise (wo o23?) by Beethoven. It is not hard, but fun to begin with. Minuet in G by Bach is also a good beginner piece. Those might be a little too hard to start of with though.
I did have major trouble with the bass clef when I started out, so I wrote some really easy pieces to be able to get the bass clef into my head. Because I had to write them first, I was already 'training' to read the bar.

Good luck, and have fun Smile

Jis

jis
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 26
Job/hobbies : sportinstructor / piano / reading / climbing
Length of time playing piano : started 09
Guru Points : 4
Registration date : 2009-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by melvinhardin Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:09 pm

By bass cleff you mean the left hand right? sorry if this is a stupid question >.<

melvinhardin

Number of posts : 2
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by jis Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:56 am

Hi Melvin,

By bass cleff you mean the left hand right? sorry if this is a stupid question

Yes, I do mean the left hand.

Jis

jis
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 26
Job/hobbies : sportinstructor / piano / reading / climbing
Length of time playing piano : started 09
Guru Points : 4
Registration date : 2009-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down