Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about Polonaise in A Major Op. 53 "Heroic"

2 posters

Go down

Question about Polonaise in A Major Op. 53 "Heroic" Empty Question about Polonaise in A Major Op. 53 "Heroic"

Post by DkCHoPSUEY Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:09 am

Hello Andrew! I just want to ask a question about this particular piece. It is my dream to learn this piece along with the Ballade No. 1 by Chopin. I want to start with this piece. To give you a little background of my level as a pianist, I am currently I believe Early Advanced, like I am starting Bach's Inventions and I just finished Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca along with Solfeggio by CPE Bach, but I can play two of Chopin's Etudes, his Black Key and his Revolutionary as well as his Fantaisie Impromptu. Well, actually, the Revolutionary is still being played quite slowly but I am getting to a point where I am using the metronome, so it will be fine soon. I learned these two etudes and the impromptu by myself without my teacher. Do you think I am at an okay level to tackle the Polonaise slowly by myself?

Also, do you have any practice suggestions or learning tips for this piece specifically? I looked in the music, and boy oh boy there are chords everywhere! And there is this one section with Octaves in the left hand that constantly repeat at a fast rate. So just in general, do you have any practice or learning tips for the "Heroic" Polonaise by Chopin? Thanks Mr. Furmanczyk!

DkCHoPSUEY
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Piano, Video Gaming, Reading, Drawing, Mathematics, Photography, Robotics, Computers, Violin, 3D Computer Modelling
Length of time playing piano : about 5 years but equivalent to 7 years due to my skip of basics and beginning material. I play violin for 10 years =)
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-07-01

Back to top Go down

Question about Polonaise in A Major Op. 53 "Heroic" Empty Re: Question about Polonaise in A Major Op. 53 "Heroic"

Post by Admin Andrew Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:27 am

Hey,

Actually you're in luck, i know this piece inside and out since i've studied it for about 5 years.

If i was teaching you in real life it would be much easier. I'll try to sum up basic tips.

The big problem with this piece is trying to pull it off relaxed without tensening up. I think the hardest part of the piece to pull of nice is the very beginning. The idea I find works best is to get the speed just right, instead of moving the arms up and down, pull your fingers in toward your hand like your grasping a pen, this will allow you to play it faster. Try it out Smile

The big octave section in the middle is actually very easy if you practise it by itself and think in "circles" think of a wheel going round and round and your arm is just following the circle.

Always be looking to combine 2 chords or more into one motion. Example you can play the big chords in the RH in the main them with usually 1 or 2 motions. I can't show you but try to go through it and see if you can discover it. Just think of grouping chords into 1 motion.

I hope that helps!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Question about Polonaise in A Major Op. 53 "Heroic" Empty Re: Question about Polonaise in A Major Op. 53 "Heroic"

Post by DkCHoPSUEY Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Admin Andrew wrote:Hey,

Actually you're in luck, i know this piece inside and out since i've studied it for about 5 years.

If i was teaching you in real life it would be much easier. I'll try to sum up basic tips.

The big problem with this piece is trying to pull it off relaxed without tensening up. I think the hardest part of the piece to pull of nice is the very beginning. The idea I find works best is to get the speed just right, instead of moving the arms up and down, pull your fingers in toward your hand like your grasping a pen, this will allow you to play it faster. Try it out Smile

The big octave section in the middle is actually very easy if you practise it by itself and think in "circles" think of a wheel going round and round and your arm is just following the circle.

Always be looking to combine 2 chords or more into one motion. Example you can play the big chords in the RH in the main them with usually 1 or 2 motions. I can't show you but try to go through it and see if you can discover it. Just think of grouping chords into 1 motion.

I hope that helps!

Hey, I remember you talking about the whole chord thing in your lesson about piano hopping and playing with your eyes closed. Let me know if I got this right, but instead of lifting your hand up and focusing on playing the chord accurately and jumping to it in midair, you should lift off of a previous chord and let that lift guide you to your next chord. Do I have the idea right?

DkCHoPSUEY
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Male Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : Piano, Video Gaming, Reading, Drawing, Mathematics, Photography, Robotics, Computers, Violin, 3D Computer Modelling
Length of time playing piano : about 5 years but equivalent to 7 years due to my skip of basics and beginning material. I play violin for 10 years =)
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Smile yes I think you do that the idea right. It'd be interesting to see you play to make sure you are doing it right.
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down