Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Become a piano genious in 6 months GUIDE //COMPLETE!

+12
lesengir
SinkingHigher
Victor V.
Biko
Christian
CripKilla
RrJoson
Jordan
Thomandy
VictorCS
Admin Andrew
pianohama
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

piano - Become a piano genious in 6 months GUIDE //COMPLETE! - Page 3 Empty Re: Become a piano genious in 6 months GUIDE //COMPLETE!

Post by pianohama Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:53 pm

Victor V. wrote:Yeah well, you can either be a genius and start composing something from that mistake, which would be awesome, or you could just keep playing like the mistake never happened Razz

I see what you did there Wink. it depends if the mistake sounded good or not. its a matter of taste.
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

piano - Become a piano genious in 6 months GUIDE //COMPLETE! - Page 3 Empty Re: Become a piano genious in 6 months GUIDE //COMPLETE!

Post by SinkingHigher Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:01 pm

I taught my self to play songs up to the equivalent of level 7 during the last year but I made the huge mistake of essentially, though unintentionally, throwing threory out the window.

I have only one goal when it comes to piano, I want to be able to improvise seamlessly. Obviously this will take lots of time and practice, which I am fine with, but I don't really know the rules.

I've learned main scales and arppegios, but I don't understand their applications. What am I supposed to do with the scales?

SinkingHigher
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 18
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by VictorCS Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:50 pm

I wrote a ****load of **** here, but my stupid mouse got this backspace button that I accidentially pressed.

Anyway, I see you dont understand, but it's easy.

1. Pick the scale you have learned, I suppose you know the C scale is all the white keys when you start from C ( when you start from A it's A minor ). When you start from another key then the scale states it is you change its mode, but that's to complicated right now.

2. It's all about tension and release, C(home)DEF(street)GAB(another place)C <--- the first C is very relaxed, the F have a little bit of tension and the last C just want you to go back to the first C. It's like C is home, and when you go away from it you go to another place, but in the end you really wanna go back home again.

3. So lets make a song, what you do? It's easy, with your left you can play some arps or chords in a pattern of your choosing. In the right you play a melody you figure out as you play.

4. As you play the song will come out of the blue, improvised, at first it can be hard, but it will get easier, and not all will sound good, but aslong as you keep youself inside the scale it will sound fairly good if you have a nice rythm in your playing.

A scale is a group of notes that sound good together.
VictorCS
VictorCS

Male Number of posts : 944
Length of time playing piano : Started playing seriously in 2007, and been doing so since.
Guru Points : 18
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:14 am

SinkingHigher wrote:I taught my self to play songs up to the equivalent of level 7 during the last year but I made the huge mistake of essentially, though unintentionally, throwing threory out the window.

I have only one goal when it comes to piano, I want to be able to improvise seamlessly. Obviously this will take lots of time and practice, which I am fine with, but I don't really know the rules.

I've learned main scales and arppegios, but I don't understand their applications. What am I supposed to do with the scales?

Once you've chosen a scale it's your "worksheet" for your song, these are the notes your song will consist of. Start with the first tone of the scale and go out "exploring" but eventually you will want to come back to the note you started on to get the feeling that a "phrase" is finished. It's like when you're writing a book, you start with capital letter and end with a dot.

So lets say im playing in C major I have these tones to choose from:

C D E F G A B
C Major, D minor, E minor, F Major, G Major, B Dim

So I start counting a tempo, and start from the tone C and chord C Major and jump to G and then climb my way back down to a C, but I time it so that exactly when I hit the C, the next measure starts so just when I hit the C tone, I can change to maybe A minor and give it a nice effect of going from happy mood to sad mood.

This is a short example of one single phrase of a song. When you get better you get more fluent. I KNOW you will get this soon.
I've only played for a year and 2 months now and I can improvise songs with my eyes covered.
Just follow the guide and ask when you get stuck with something =) make sure to take youre time on every step
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by SinkingHigher Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:04 am

I decided to take a jump and just go for it. It turns out I'm not as horrible as I thought! Very Happy (Not to toot my own piano).

Thank you guys so much for your responses.

pianohama, when you chose that string of chords, is there a rule for that or did you just make it up?

I noticed the desire to go back "home" before I read about it. My strength is melodies, but I have trouble matching the chord in my head to the piano. With some ear training and practice I'm sure most of my problems will disappear.

One last thing: After I play through a bar or phase that I've improvised, I feel lost and don't know where to go next.

Say I alternate through chords C Major and D Minor (I think? D + F# + A)

Is there like a rule or guideline for following that up? A minor seems to work but then I'm lost again and can't find a melody for it.

SinkingHigher
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:32 am

You can change to any chord you want, as long as you go back to C major eventually.
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by lesengir Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:58 am

F# Major, G# Minor, A# minor, B Major, C# Major, D# Minor, E# Diminished <- i don't understand where that comes from

lesengir
Beginner pianist
Beginner pianist

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul_Prince77 Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:13 am

i only played improvised for years ha ha its a good way to start i think if u have a good sense of what sounds good.... then move onto theory and technique
Soul_Prince77
Soul_Prince77
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Male Number of posts : 44
Job/hobbies : i play any instrument i can get mah hands on
Length of time playing piano : 6 years
Registration date : 2010-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Benoit Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:38 am

great subject!

Benoit
Intermediate Pianist
Intermediate Pianist

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Rayman Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:09 pm

What happened to Pianohama? We could do with some more of his input.

Cool

Last edited by Rayman on Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rayman
Rayman
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Rayman Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:56 pm

pianohama wrote:
Lesson #3; Learning the chords of the scale

Ok, this part is probably going to be the most difficult one. If you haven't already, you will start learning the chords of the F# Major scale which is;

F# Major, G# Minor, A# minor, B Major, C# Major, D# Minor, E# Diminished

Now what you have to learn now is a very important arpeggio pattern that is used in many modern pieces.

I will demonstrate it with a C-Major chord: C3 -> G3 -> C4 -> G3 -> E4 -> G3 -> C4 -> G3 (repeat)

So what you will do is; learn all the chords, pick one of the chords and practice the arpeggio pattern, once you can play the arpeggio for the chord without having to even think about it, it will be much easier to learn it for the other chords.

When you know how to play the arpeggio for all the chords, you are ready for the next lesson!

I'm just quoting pianohama's opening post. Can someone please explain what he means by this pattern C3 -> G3 -> C4 -> G3 -> E4 -> G3 -> C4 -> G3. I can't understand what he means by C3, G3, C4 etc.

Thanks.
Rayman
Rayman
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:51 pm

C3 = C in the third octave of the piano/keyboard, counted from left to right when facing the piano,
G3 = G in the third octave,
C4 = C in the fourth octave,
E4 = E in the fourth octave, and so on.

Note: The first two keys furthest to left are usually called A0 and B0 on an 88 keys piano. I think it's because they are not part of a full octave. Then the first octave begins, with C1 of course and ends on B1. The last C and the last key of the piano is C8.

Explained in a picture:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentoring/project_ideas/Phys_img024.jpg

Finally a link that explains proper fingering for various scales:

http://www.audiblefaith.com/artists/rharrell/music/pianoscales.html
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Number of posts : 154
Guru Points : 13
Registration date : 2010-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Rayman Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:13 am

That's brilliant. Thanks very much.

cheers
Rayman
Rayman
Advanced Pianist
Advanced Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Good explanation Pianoted Smile Thanks for the input. Feel free to ask any questions that you are curious about guys. I might update the original post soon and add some Jazzy stuff in there.
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:14 pm

Thank you, Rayman and pianohama, glad you appreciated it. I have yet to start practicing the scales and look forward to it. Still waiting for the chance (and for saving enough money!) to buy a digital piano.

But that gives me a good opportunity to brush up on the theoretical stuff. I will probably ask some questions about scales and chords when I start practicing them.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:13 pm

Pianoted wrote:Thank you, Rayman and pianohama, glad you appreciated it. I have yet to start practicing the scales and look forward to it. Still waiting for the chance (and for saving enough money!) to buy a digital piano.

But that gives me a good opportunity to brush up on the theoretical stuff. I will probably ask some questions about scales and chords when I start practicing them.

You're from Sweden right? I am too.

I am currently selling a digitalpiano(in perfect health) if you are interested.
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:21 pm

Hey great (jag vill gärna titta på det/would like to take a look at it.) What brand is it?

I'm from Iceland, but living in Malmö trying to find work (hope we are not too far apart!) You can PM me if you prefer that.
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Pianoted wrote:Hey great (jag vill gärna titta på det/would like to take a look at it.) What brand is it?

I'm from Iceland, but living in Malmö trying to find work (hope we are not too far apart!) You can PM me if you prefer that.

http://www.4club.com.ua/published/publicdata/CLUBCOM4CLUB/attachments/SC/products_pictures/YAMAHA%20DGX-620_enl.jpg

Check this picture out, it's a Yamaha DGX-620. It's both a digital piano AND a keyboard, which is good because if you get bored sometimes you can try playing one of the other 500 sounds that comes with it.

You can also record a song on the piano, and put it on a memory stick and then putting it on the computer(creates a midifile, which is very handy!).

The buttons are weighted and feels very real, except that they aren't made of wood. You can check the other specs online.

I live quite a bit away from you, in Enköping(Near Uppsala). If you are interested let me know through a PM!
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianoted Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:46 pm

I know a bit about this one, was considering the DGX-630 or one of the Casio Privia models.

I'll check and see if I can get a ride to Enköping or Uppsala and contact you through PM tomorrow, with questions and more.

Tack så mycket!
Pianoted
Pianoted
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3