Andrew Furmanczyk Piano Academy :: Learn How To Play Piano
Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Enjoy your time with the music community! Log in now to start posting!

~Andrew Furmanczyk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thomas's Performances - NEW Liszt Moments Musicaux D.01 - Page 39

+61
MyP&V
danaxyzw
Hero
cheesesandwitchs
Matthieu Stepec
sunburst
aendym
endre
zielarz999
Circle_of_Fists
theWarden
Jason Scott
surehit123
ROBIN
Lanxil
frank
MysteriousGgirl
Klavier
klixonnylle
goodell
prasanna
Karla Marx
Lunarr
Aigle
tomomimorgan
Ursula Spots
Christian
Pianokid220
poper
arzi
lepianoman
leonard
Biko
xkuruma
maestoso
karax268
Kjetil
zihanah
Fryderyk
Amro
khalyd
Rykaerdoe
harmony
The Royal Nobody
Shouji
kwesifriends
Marnex
Sepheron
Jordan
CripKilla
Phi
Casyopea
g0tfish
zeroflash
Phobik2000
maggiekedves
Admin Andrew
pianohama
VictorCS
Thomandy
65 posters

Page 17 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Go down

Thomas's Performances - NEW Liszt Moments Musicaux D.01 - Page 39 - Page 17 Empty Re: Thomas's Performances - NEW Liszt Moments Musicaux D.01 - Page 39

Post by Amro Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:34 pm

pianohama wrote:You're definetly getting better!

Totally Agreeing .. 100%
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 340
Job/hobbies : Graphics, Internet & Piano
Length of time playing piano : 2 Years of Trying but seriously from 4 Mnths.
Guru Points : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Thomas's Performances - NEW Liszt Moments Musicaux D.01 - Page 39 - Page 17 Empty Re: Thomas's Performances - NEW Liszt Moments Musicaux D.01 - Page 39

Post by Thomandy Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:53 am

Amro wrote:
pianohama wrote:You're definetly getting better!

Totally Agreeing .. 100%

Thanks Both of you Smile I might try to practice it someday, but Ill just let it be for now. I prefer composing and sheet-music but this is fun every once in a while Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Male Number of posts : 2616
Job/hobbies : Bachelor in Social Childcare
Length of time playing piano : 1 year
Guru Points : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-10

https://www.youtube.com/thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pianokid220 Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Thoses christmas videos helped out a lot this year bounce
so now I don't have to learn them ^_^
Great
Pianokid220
Pianokid220
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 179
Job/hobbies : pEOPLE ARE MEAN
Length of time playing piano : WHY PLEASE DELETE ME ACCOUNT NOW
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-15

https://www.youtube.com/aclyde15greenc

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:19 am

Update for those who read it Razz

Well, only got a hint for now even though no one probably care lol!
Im gona try to record a new Original Comp Tomorrow! Smile
Not 100% satisfied with how I play one part, but Im gona give it a try.

Stay Tuned Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:31 am

ohh ^_^ I'm excited
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 1277
Job/hobbies : Piano teacher, pianist
Length of time playing piano : Started in 1992; 17 years of playing.
Guru Points : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-22

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:56 pm

Now its done Smile Ill ad some Extra info about the Rag and Process after the video for those who want to read it.
I havnt covered all that I want to say, so I might update that Smile

Silver Bullet Rag - Original Rag

Extra:

Story behind it:
I started with a single bar in Later November - 08 that sounded raggy, but first a couple a weeks later I decided to go for a Composition on the idea. I knew little theory about the genre, and knew it would be a lot to do, but I gave myself time to do it in my own paste.

The Process:
I sat down in December - 08 and tried to build something on the idea I had, but I couldn't really get anything done right away. Just a little was built on that first session. So i decided to pick up on the theory. And it was a lot available Smile Wikipedia got lots actually.

I read about rules, patterns ect and I was in contact with mr Bill himself Smile
Then everything felt bit easier.

I follow the "Rag-Rules" so I can call it a Rag. I try my best of course to use my creativity within the frames that are set. If I managed that? That is up to everyone for themselves to decide Smile

The Rag:
Its a classical rag, and therefore follows the pattern:

Intro AA BB A CC DD

The A-Strain starts of pretty "easy" and is created like this to get people into the rag if someone would want to play it. Then it continues with the hardest Strain, the B-Strain that is a variation of and a continuing of the A-Strain. The Right hand octaves vs the heavy left hand jumps is Very hard to get right, but it shouldn't be a problem after some practice Smile Then the C-Starin follows, with a change in rhythmic pattern. This is a bit easier than the B-Strain cause of shorter left hand jumps, the melody got fast multiple notes, but should be ok for anyone who plays ragtime. Then finishing of with a lighter D-Strain which is as easy as the A-strain, but with some alternative chord progressions. Smile

The Name:
Well, I feel that the "Silver Bullet" is "modern" but also chains back to the period where Ragtime was Big - from 1898 - 1917ish.

#43 - Most Discussed (Today) - Music on Youtube

Copyright © 2009 Thomas Andersen

Last edited by Thomandy on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:12 am

affraid oh...man......

All I have to say is that is the best original composition I've ever heard from anyone I personally know. That's amazing! ...I wrote more on youtube So you can read that as well.

You're getting SOO GOOD!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:56 am

Hehehe affraid

I really enjoyed reading what you said Smile Its a great compliment, and
Im really glad that you like it Smile I wasn't sure I would get to post it yesterday since I struggled a bit with some bars in the B-Strain Razz I think I made it to hard there lol!

Thanks again sunny
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:29 am

That was really good. And I really like the jumpy feeling of it. 5/5 definetly. Also you inspired me to try something like this soon aswell.. I'll keep you posted ;]
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Amro Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:34 am

WOW ..
No Comments .. JUST AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING ..
Well-Played
Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven / 10
Amro
Amro
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 340
Job/hobbies : Graphics, Internet & Piano
Length of time playing piano : 2 Years of Trying but seriously from 4 Mnths.
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Thanks Guys Smile Glad that you like it cheers
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Admin Andrew wrote:
You're getting SOO GOOD!

I agree. Very impressive. I love it. Very Happy

Christian
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 121
Job/hobbies : The Irish Drinking Song!
Length of time playing piano : A serious pianist since midsummer 2008!
Guru Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Christian wrote:
Admin Andrew wrote:
You're getting SOO GOOD!

I agree. Very impressive. I love it. Very Happy

Tnx Smile Glad you like it Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Dont got a lot to say Smile I feel myself that I nailed the interpretation. This is how I prefer it to be played, and its most inspiret by Rubinstein. The stupid thing is that the bad audio rec equipment I got get in the way some placed especially with the turns and these things. I have perfected all the turns ect and they dosnt really sound the same in Audiocity as they do on my piano when I record for playback there! But thats okay I guess Razz

Nocturne Op.9 No.2 - Chopin
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 pm

Thomandy wrote:Dont got a lot to say Smile I feel myself that I nailed the interpretation. This is how I prefer it to be played, and its most inspiret by Rubinstein. The stupid thing is that the bad audio rec equipment I got get in the way some placed especially with the turns and these things. I have perfected all the turns ect and they dosnt really sound the same in Audiocity as they do on my piano when I record for playback there! But thats okay I guess Razz

Nocturne Op.9 No.2 - Chopin

very good. Since youve got so much better I think you should have some harder critic, so you can become better, heres what I think:

I thought the tempo was a liiittle bit choppy at some of the difficult spots,
the dynamics and pedaling was great though.
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:31 pm

Hey Thomas,

This is a review on your - Chopin - Nocturne op 9 no 2

Well, it started off quite nicely, good tone on the opening note, I thought you could be a bit more expressive going larger leaps in the RH, in this piece the RH is an imitation of a vocal line that a singer would sing. So it's importaint to really make those large leaps expressive. (my own teacher told me this years ago)

Your LH was mainly quite good, it stayed quiet throughout, and that's what you want with this piece so great work on that, also the notes were pretty clean.

Now, next is the RH ornimentation. I'd say out of the whole piece, this is your weakest area right now. The opening turn at the start of the piece was to "blurry" the notes weren't easy to seperate with your ears. You want to make each notes dramatize the passage, you'll get a much nicer effect! I should still say that you still pulled everything off quite good! I'm only saying this to give you idea's on how you can improve Smile

Ok, also when hitting base notes in the bottom regester, you need to let back on the pedal more to take away the blur that will happen. an example is at 0:31 and another at 2:30

Always try to play all the "quick" ornamented parts lightly and freely. Sometimes they sounded slightly sluggish and heavy, or they extended past the beat they should have been played for. If you can do that, it'll make it sound even cleaner Smile

Next up is teh passage at 2:50. This is near the end of the piece, when the piece is widing down to the end and transitioning into a long extended coda. I thought it was much too quick and rushed sounding. Try relaxing here and just letting a sense of peace and elegance come over you Smile I think it'll make it sound better. (on a side note, this is just my personal preference, but to add in a special effect I play the first few notes at the top of this staccato and light) More shaping to the final note would help. You want to make everyone listening to the song want to hear that last note you will play to finish the phrase. Make them BEG to hear it. That'll give them more satisfaction. After all we can't give up that wonderful note TOO easily can we?

(3:23 was SOOOO GOOD! PERFECT!! don't change a thing!)

Now, around 3:46 when the octaves start i'm not sure if you see it in your score but in mine there is a "stretto" above the RH with the octaves. This means that the octaves should have a "tight" or disjointed feeling, they shouldn't be played smooth and even. It's to build tension and excitement. You can slightly alter the tempo by speeding it up and slowing it down. It'll make it so much more enjoyable!! The current way you played it was very flat and emotionless. The rest of the piece has so much emotion flowing it it. So you definitely need to work on this part to voice the notes and give them a crisp line! Smile

Here's the definition for stretto if you're wondering
• stretto – tight, narrow; i.e., faster or hastening ahead; also, a passage in a fugue in which the contrapuntal texture is denser, with close overlapping entries of the subject in different voices; by extension, similar closely imitative passages in other compositions

K, the way you built up after the octaves was WONDERFUL! no problems there. but you have a counting error on the notes ending into the final cadence, (4:00) in the score you play a total of 13 Cb's but I counted between 16-18 that you played. It still sounds nice how you did it, but you need to show you can have the control to play how it's written Very Happy (hehe sometimes I add in extra of them to, I might being a little harsh, but some examiners would make a big deal about it so i thought i'd mention it to you)

annnd! nice ending! Smile good job!

phew!!! Ok, so I know I said a lot of mistakes, but really it was quite good, I just wanted to give you ideas! I know you would probably play this even better on a Grand piano Very Happy You've made really good progress! In less than a year you're already playing chopin! (wowzers!!! eyes pop out of skull)

anyway Very Happy now that you're at such a higher level, the things i talk about are going to be less and less noticable, because you're working on smaller things. Overall it was great, but there was counting errors, over pedaling and "cloudy" ornmintation.

So I'd say I've heard this played better by professional pianists and others as well. Smile keep practising it, because now is the time when you're going to learn more things from it. Use this piece to develop easier and crisp trills and turns, and even more precise use of pedal.

Overal mark: 82

Good work! keep it up! Smile This is a fairly harder piece so the fact that you're playing it now is great!

Hopefully you don't take what I said the wrong way. if I didn't care I wouldn't have spent 45 minutes writing this up for you!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:27 pm

pianohama wrote:
very good. Since youve got so much better I think you should have some harder critic, so you can become better, heres what I think:

Hehe, I disagree though Smile I have gotten a 96% from a Norwegian music-professor on the tempo and how I use rubato. This isnt a piece where you just play in one tempo from start to beginning. I actually got a 94% based on how I play technically, and he was especially satisfied with the harder parts. Razz But you are of course entitled to an opinion on the subject Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by pianohama Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:31 pm

Thomandy wrote:
pianohama wrote:

Hehe, I disagree though Smile I have gotten a 96% from a Norwegian music-professor on the tempo and how I use rubato. This isnt a piece where you just play in one tempo from start to beginning. I actually got a 94% based on how I play technically, and he was especially satisfied with the harder parts. Razz But you are of course entitled to an opinion on the subject Smile

Well I think you misunderstood, I never claimed that the tempo was wrong, what I meant was some of the notes was abit choppy, and not as smooth as it could have been. Also 96% is very good, and I also said that the piece was good but what I was trying to say is how you can get those 4 last percent..
pianohama
pianohama
Recognized Teacher
Recognized Teacher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi Smile I have read it all now Smile And I appreciate it of course Smile Im a little unsure now though, cause I got a review from a Norwegian professor today, since I have talked to him through this entire process from I started learning this piece, and he has specialized in Chopin and he gives me an overall Mark on 93%. He was the one that introduced me to Rubensteins Interpretation. And his exact words was that; This would sound like an Early Rubinstein playing this piece.

I have actually worked on Lowering the R.H melody! Razz Since I dont like it when the melody is to loud. I can play it louder and accent where I want to ect, but playing a little softer is my interpretation actually. I could create an audio for you if you want to for the first bars or so, with different settings on the piano, and play as you want me to Smile I am pretty sure I can do that since I feel I have played this piece so much that I can interpretate Exactly the way I want it Smile

And about the final cadenc I usually play 13 repeats and can controll how many and how fast ill play. In this performance I play 15of them. But I worked the last 2 days one playing this EXACTLY like Rubinstein, and there are Exactly as many notes as he got!!! Look at the sheet-video made to his performance. They are identical in both notes and speed! Ex You got 18repetitions on this same 4finger-trill.thing in your performance =)

It might be the audio-quality getting a little in the way when it comes to trills and turns ect, but I mentioned that in the descriptionbox at the video. They dosnt sound like that when I play it. I really wish I had better Rec-Equipment. I dont think my piano and rec-equipment do these types of pieces justice. So when I get a grand and a Great mic Ill promise it will be a lot better Smile

About the octave thing: Ahhh, I dont got that in my sheets... But Ill work on that, cause I havent thought about that at all Smile Thanks!!! Very Happy

About the Pedal: Yeah, I agree Smile I have a tendency to let it got a little to far, creating this Stop in the music, so I feel im holding it a little to much to avoid this. But This is a Great piece do develop this skill Smile

But of course, even though I actually disagree on some things, I appreciate of course every word that you wrote Smile
What I have written abow is Not a defense really, but just me not really understanding everything, or rather a bit confused Smile Especially since I got a higher review from a 52year old music professor from my hometown Razz hehe

But if I do an audio of the first bars, and then you could say if you like that better?? Ill use different settings, so that the Audio isnt as blurry, but I feel its not as beautiful sound to the other settings Razz

Im quoting my other post now:

Thomandy wrote:Andrew:

Here is is the sample. Smile
I feel this is more how you mean I should play it?
If so let me know cause Im a little lost now thinking of your review, and I have used 1 month to get it to a place where I can play just the way I want it, fast, slow, different rubatos ect...

SAMPLE:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/c2ddf92c-ac6f-4d61-aaf0-4147b39f8259/Nocturne-op9no2-2

Last edited by Thomandy on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:04 pm; edited 5 times in total
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:51 pm

pianohama wrote:
Thomandy wrote:
pianohama wrote:

Well I think you misunderstood, I never claimed that the tempo was wrong, what I meant was some of the notes was abit choppy, and not as smooth as it could have been. Also 96% is very good, and I also said that the piece was good but what I was trying to say is how you can get those 4 last percent..

Then I agree with you Very Happy Sorry!!! Smile Yeah, there is some choppyness some places Smile
You are very right about that Smile
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Andrew:

If so let me know cause Im a little lost now thinking of your review, and I have used 1 month to get it to a place where I can play just the way I want it, fast, slow, different rubatos ect...

SAMPLE:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/c2ddf92c-ac6f-4d61-aaf0-4147b39f8259/Nocturne-op9no2-2
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by CripKilla Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Hey Thomas Very Happy

I just can't stop wondering: how do you compose a rag? ^^
Hope you can explain that stuf! Wink

Really nice nocturne by the way! Wow!
CripKilla
CripKilla
Well-known Pianist
Well-known Pianist

Male Number of posts : 423
Job/hobbies : Bank Robber
Length of time playing piano : Since Huamn Existence
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomandy Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:32 pm

CripKilla wrote:Hey Thomas Very Happy

I just can't stop wondering: how do you compose a rag? ^^
Hope you can explain that stuf! Wink

Really nice nocturne by the way! Wow!

Hi Smile Well, the short story(basic rules)

In a classical rag there are 4 themes. They should be different but at the same time feel like they are in the same piece.
There usually is a intro aswell.

Pattern: Intro AA BB A CC DD

Each theme should consist of 16 bars, where the 16th bar is slightly different on the repeat to lead into the next theme.
The C-Theme(section) usually goes to the Subdominant key. If its in C then the C-Theme would be in F and the you can either keep the F key in the D as well or go back to the normal key. Its up to you. You can also keep the whole piece in One key Smile

Those are the basics Smile

Thanks Wink
Thomandy
Thomandy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:39 pm

Hey Thomas,

I think the difference is in how me and the professor mark. I would give a 95+ to someone who is a professional performer. I would rarely give out a 90 unless it was almost perfect in every way. 60's to a barely pass, just stumbling through the music. I give 70's to good clean yet not the greatest performances, 80's to great performances with all the right notes and smaller things to improve it. 90's to amazing performances that are practically BLEMISHLESS, like soo amazing your ears are singing.

Smile The big things for me was the sometimes blurry pedal and the lack of Stretto on the last page. I think I would be able to give you a higher mark with better sound recording stuff, cause that might have been a problem. and a real piano would help to. So it might not be your fault XD

Either way, i still consider it a great performance with a few small things to work on. The rubato you used was fairly good too Smile I think you could still play around with it slightly more though. Smile

I hope that helps you understand better? Very Happy 82 would be the lowest I would give it. The thing about Art is you're never finished, it can ALWAYS get better Very Happy SO i didn't want to give you an awesome mark and let you think there's nothing left to work on Smile I could also accept giving you a mark as high as 90 but, I think you could use more of your body when you play, your arms shoulders elbow look a bit ridgid Smile

You're getting SO much better though, don't let my comments make you feel bad, i would NOT be saying this if i didn't think you were up to the challenge, i think you're getting to the late intermediate starting to approach advanced stage. Smile
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Andrew Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Thomandy wrote:Andrew:

SAMPLE:

That's more like it Smile getting there, but when i'm listening to it, i'm trying to forget who's playing. Pretend i don't know that person. Now listening to how they play would i put them at an intermediate or advanced level? I keep hearing small things that point to intermediate starting into advanced. Thing is though, you're amazing cause if i had to have guessed i would have said that person playing has played for 7-8 years Smile so you're doing an amazing job. The ornamentation sound to sluggish and labored also to heavy. You're close though, keep working at it, soon i'm sure you'll start to get it. I wish I was there, I could show you what I mean.

Anyway i gotta go! cya!
Admin Andrew
Admin Andrew
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 32  Next